Computer wont boot up, please help! | FerrariChat

Computer wont boot up, please help!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MalkaJB, Jul 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalkaJB

MalkaJB Karting

Jul 22, 2005
    La Jolla
    Full Name:
    John
    My friends computer wont boot up. He just reformatted his computer, and everything went fine, but then he installed an anti-virus program that asked to restart and this came up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Louminater/IMG_0374.jpg

He tried using his boot disks, but this is the first screen that comes up, and it won't read the boot disks, same with the commands, he can't press F10, F11, or whatever. Once the computer comes on, this is the first thing that comes on the screen.

I know it's not the hard drive because he put in a different one, and the same screen was coming up. Anyone ever had something like this come up?

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Likely a scattered BIOS. Check the manual to see how to reset the BIOS. Can also try reprogramming the BIOS through a method called flashing. BIOS files and flashers are normally available on the manufacturer's website.

Also, did the keyboard take a bath? Try a different keyboard too.

3. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    Unplug everything except for the screen and power cord, then restart. It might be a bad driver that is stopping it from booting. Ah, HP. I had an HP for a first computer and I had nothing but problems. That screen is oh so familiar.

4. MalkaJB

MalkaJB Karting

Jul 22, 2005
    La Jolla
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks guys for the replys (especially you Korr). The problem did end up being the BIOS. I'm not exactly sure what he did, but he got it all sorted out and it's up and running again.

Thanks again!

BTW, FChat was more helpful than a couple of computer tech forums that he tried. ;)

5. BOG

BOG Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 30, 2006
    Maybe it was trying to boot from disk instead of the HD.

6. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Lemme guess what they said at the computer tech forums ...

Format the computer?

7. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    You might want to change the battery at this time.

The bios RARELY goes "wonky" unless there is a battery problem, electrical surge or the owner messes with it.