Concorso Italiano | FerrariChat

Concorso Italiano

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by shelbee, Jun 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shelbee

shelbee Guest

2. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Yep, I'm heading down to Monterey.

Got a room booked for six nights.

3. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I am thinking about it, perhaps transport my car there do the show and drive back up :)

4. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I'm probably just going to fly down and get a rental car.

I decided to boycott the FCA meet, they want $650 per person to attend, even if you're not showing a car. I think that sucks.

There will be plenty of Ferraris to see at the Concorso Italiano, Laguna Seca vintage races and Pebble Beach that weekend.

5. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Lots of NW people are going, including me and Peter Rychel. Wave to Peter as he drives thru Seattle.

6. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Shelbee, why not drive your car down and back?

Considered going down to see the 360 Challenge race, but looks like it falls on a Thursday so maybe not....

7. kafugelum308

kafugelum308 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2003
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    M Bradley
    You can attend the FCA track event for $20 per person per day.

You can attend the concours for free if a member.

8. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    If you are going to CI, I would highly suggest you enter you car for judging as it is about the only way to protect your finish. Last year was a disaster in terms of non-show Ferrari parking. Think parking at one of the off-airport lots and you will get the idea. The Ferrari Challenge Rally cars were supposed to be parked together (they were not) and the spacing on the Ferrari corral was terrible.

9. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Faye and I will be there from Thurs thru Sun along with the Cantafio's,Mc Kinney's and Casale's. We are driving our F cars down.

10. shelbee

shelbee Guest

If I drive down there, the car will not be qualified as "concorso"

Detail the car, ship it down there, do the show then drive back sound more fun.

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Shelbee, I'll be packing all of my Griot's Garage stuff so when I arrive down there, I'll try to find a place to wash it (by hand) and I'll detail it there (I'll probably only need to do a Speedshine wipe-down... I hope).

Gary, I certainly wasn't going to pay that admission price even if I was able to take the time-off from work to attend... You know how much that is in Canadian Dollars?!? This trip's going to cost me a fortune in fuel alone... I mean its worth it, but ouch!

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    ..........................and thats WITH the 100.00 dues per year.:(

13. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Might not be a bad idea to leave the F-car in our own garage, in that way they will stay clean, save the gas and avoid rock chips, driving 900 miles one way and back.

Just fly down, rent a car, attend the show and fly back. End of story. Lots of memory with photos :)

14. CMac

CMac Formula Junior

May 10, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wash.
    Full Name:
    Chris McDonald
    I recently rented a 360 from Driven Image in San Fran and drove through NAPA for a birthday....$1250/day (24hrs) and $3/mile over 100....they actually gave it to us for a bit longer and just returned it to them the next day on the way to the airport....almost 36hrs of rental. Great people, they delivered it to the hotel, a bit steep though....especially when you have one sitting at home in the garage!!!

15. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    OMG. How can anyone pass up a chance to put 3,000+ glorious miles on their fcar?

Some of the best roads in the world are all over Northern CA on the route down to Monterey.

Think of Hwy 1 through Mendocino.
    Hwy 70 in Northern CA.
    Hwy 96 in Northern CA (say hi to the nice folks in Happy Camp).
    Think California wine country roads.
    Skyline Bvd on the SF peninsula.(and Old Page Mill Rd, Alpine Road, Hwy 9 to Santa Cruz).

And the roads along the way through Washington and Oregon aren’t too shabby either:
    The nifty little forest service roads on the way through the back side of Mt. St. Helens to Hood River.
    Hwy 197 from Hood River (OMG, now there’s some serious wide open road!).
    Hwy 140 in Southern Oregon.
    Hwy 66 in Southern Oregon.

Think of multiple days on new roads, trying your hardest to scrub the rubber off the sidewalls.

There are plenty of places in Monterey/Carmel to wash your car once there.
    You’ve just not really driven a grand touring Fcar until you’ve spent multiple days in it doing 500 – 700 miles/day through some of the best roads in the world, and this is a reason to do so (as if we needed any rEason).

Good grief guys. The question isn’t whether to take your fcar or not: it’s what route to take each way. There are too many good roads to fit into just one round trip.

Oh Yeah, We're driving!!!

16. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Michael B. has a confirmed email from an FCA official stating that the concours on Tuesday is indeed "free", if you are going to just look at cars only.

You need to be a current FCA member and you should probably bring your name badge/membership card.

To watch the FCA track event, it's $20 at the gate for FCA member spectators.

Thanks Michael for confirming this. I am now planning on going to the concours on Tuesday.

Gary

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Ahhh, Eric, reaffirming the adage, "It's not the destination that matters but the journey getting there".
    So true............................

Of course, the destination aint bad either.

18. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Did this road last fall. At one point, I went for 20 minutes w/o seeing a car in either direction. Areas of grand cruising with sweeping bends and some twisty bits too. Road surface, etc. VERY Ferrari-friendly.

19. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Perhaps after all I should drive down my new 456M GT??

When are you leaving??

20. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Perhaps we should meet up and drive down together??

21. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    I would highly recommend the drive down. And the drive back up. Take a different route each way. If you haven't driven the coast you should try that, it is spectacular. I have to wonder what is the logic of having a car that is made for the open road kept in a garage or a trailer. Yes it is important to take good care of your car, but you might as well collect scale models if you aren't going to take it out on the road. Keep in mind that there are a few noted collectors in our area that have multi million dollar vehicles. They are in beautiful condition and they are regularly taken on road and race events.

I will be down on the green at Concorso Italiano. There will be evidence of bugs and dirt and it won't be "concourse condition". But I will have the biggest grin on my face because I will have been driving the wheels off the thing for the previous four days!!!

David

22. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Martin............what are those dates?..........Possibly tag along?

23. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Kuzi-
    I am meeting with Tony Cantafio on Wed to iron out plans and will e mail you on Thurs with our itinerary.Of course you are welcome to join us.

24. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Thanks Marty.........August _ to _?

25. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just sent in the deposit for my first F-car; a 1980 308. I'm up for the drive if a group is going. I am looking forward to getting involved with any group rides etc...

Eric