CONCOURS CORRECT FASTENERS FOR THE DINO | FerrariChat

CONCOURS CORRECT FASTENERS FOR THE DINO

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Oct 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dinos at Concours are getting points deductions for incorrect fasteners. Let's gather this groups knowledge base (and more importantly photos) of those fasteners correct for a Dino. As a side exercise let's watch for changes across versions and models.

Please chime in and help us determine what the correct fasteners are that you see on Dinos.
    Thank you

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 synchro, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Dang Tony are you a mind reader?
    You were thinking the same as me, these are the same Truss Head screws on the cross span and on the relay mounts for the fuses' circuit board.

BTW, what fastener do you have directly bottom of Steering Column black wrinkle finish surround? Fiat 80 hex bolt or Truss screw?

I'm the second owner of 05702 and believe these to be OEM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

TonyL likes this.
  3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    i-velocita likes this.
  4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hood, bonnet and Trunk lid rubber bumpers are oval, slot screws with trim washers on 05702
    These OEM are 20mm but I was able to find 25mm for longer rubber bumper trims

Image Unavailable, Please Login

pilotoCS likes this.
  6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Scott, this is a minefield but you could be right?

Fiat 80 bolt on the steering surround.

Tony

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    What are the original fasteners that hold the fiberglass fender inner splash shields? Mine were all small hex head screws but maybe not the correct ones.

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The fibreglass fender shields are fitted to small metal plates riveted (2 no) to the bodywork, these are drilled and tapped M6 (centre hole) and the panels are secured with zinc plated pan head screws and large washers similar to post 2. I used stainless, looks the same and doesn't rust

The threads mostly get stripped and are replaced with large hex bolt self tapping screws.

here are the plates which measure 30mm x 14.5mm x 3.5mm MS plate, stainless would be better as you don't see then when fitted

http://www.dinoparts.eu/EN/ferrari-246-gt-gts/body-fittings/body-parts/fixing-bracket.html

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes but it is only a minefield because the most informed here are not discussing it, yet I bet many here really would like to know. Plus Dinoland is full of exceptions and we are keen on minutia because Dino owner have passion for these cars!

#4 pan head screws used in many places to attach trim parts to the body; the door jamb panels front and rear, top of door trim and finger pull to door inside panel to name a few

10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #10 TonyL, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    The original screws used in these locations I believe where raised Chrome plated countersunk screws. as photo

The really difficult screw to get hold of are the very small self tapping screws that hold the stainless trim on, these are No 2 x 4mm slotted C/S self tapping screws. The point needs to filed off to stop it penetrating the outer edge of the surround.

Also the No4 black cup washers are hard to find.

Newco Products did a kit for the Dino but unsure how accurate they are.

I was of the same opinion when I posted up decals that were used on the 246. Logging every trim screw will be a monumental task!! I have a list of the screws removed when I restored the interior of my car, most looked original but I cannot be certain.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I did the same, and ordered the stainless screws from McMaster( part 93923A132.) I have a couple of originals and matched them up.

TonyL likes this.
  12. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Scott,
    I’ve only seen round head slotted machine screws holding the sender in. (On 206, L,M, early E-series).
    I’d be surprised if cheese head screws are correct, although they are used in other electrical applications.

Andrew

synchro likes this.
  13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hopefully this will upload !

Attached Files:

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    These I believe are the correct screws

15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #15 synchro, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Please include photos as I'm getting confused when you refer to areas of the car.

If I understand correctly, you are referring to the Spyder's "A" pillar chrome trim piece shown in TAV 111, item 8
    Actually quite easy to find in USA at ACE hardware stores near me
    If you need some and I can help, please let me know.

Where is Danny? VROOOM, I showed him these (come testify!)
    and swapped out a rogue phillips he had so his are all chromed slot screws, albeit very short

On the other items, I paint the oval screws and cup washers black for interior use. It does not last if aggressively installed so be ginger

That is a Cheese Head also, so we have two in agreement on the Fuel Sender mounting. Thank you

16. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Scott, I think the screws Tony is referring to in post #10 are these tiny little screws that hold the stainless trim finisher onto the rain channel gutter around the side windows on the GT.

TonyL likes this.
  17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Lovely idea...going to be a looooong thread.

Regards, Alberto

TonyL likes this.
  18. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Regarding the fender access panel fasteners I thought they were black hex M6. What about the fasteners for the ignition module mount plate that are visible in the fender well? I don’t have the car at hand so going from memory but I thought those were the same.

19. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    All mine on my GTS were black hex with plain washer. Don't know if they got swapped out before my ownership. My project GT had black hex as well.

20. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The inner liners are a removable item for maintenance and so had the slotted screws for ease of removal, the ign module plate is a fixed item and they used bolts [hex bolt on face of arch, nut inside - obvious I know :) ]

Tony

21. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Scott, I have added the TAV numbers for ease of id

Attached Files:

22. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    So there was a change for later E-series in the type of fastener for the fuel sender?
    The last car I have detailed photos of was around SN#03300 which still had the round head machine screw.

In your interior screw list, the finish on the oval head sheet metal screws depends on the color of the interior - it's not always black.
    There are details on this in the compendium somewhere (e.g. tan interior has silver finish)
    Andrew

TonyL likes this.
  23. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I found the answer in the E-series parts manual, it was changed after #04830.

Attached Files:

24. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Tony,
    You can get the Black cup washers here. https://www.namrick.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=washers%20cup%20black%20no4&PN=Home_Black_Plated_Self_Tappers_Raised_Countersunk_109%2ehtml#a4051

TonyL likes this.
  25. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I think this kind of sharing is a great idea, I'm not sure creating such data base on this forum is particularily good one.
    Once something is posted here and later discovered to be inaccurate or incomplete, correcting/editing or removing such info might become problematic and potentially compound the confusion in the future.

As some of you might know, I've been researching/studying details on Daytonas and couple of other non-Ferrari vintage cars for decades now and continuously make discoveries contradicting conventional beliefs and wisdom (including numerous details published by their respective manufacturers) and feel I've only scratched the surface so far.

dgt and Nuvolari like this.