Condensation in the oil tank | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Condensation in the oil tank

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Hipporacer, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    By the way. The correct technical term for that stuff is Baby Poop.....or you know......

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Be aware…. these modern oils are in fact much better. Better at what? Detergents and additives plus a consistent, synthetic base. Personally, I don’t give a rat’s a$$ if it is good for 10k miles. Its getting dumped every 3k miles or every year - which ever comes first (even in my daily driver, 12 months comes way more quickly than 3k miles). That goes for my lazy, 460 CID, ‘94 F250, or any of the newer vehicles. Still though, Mobil 1 in a viscosity as close as possible to the OEM spec goes in.

You really do NOT want that poop to sit in your engine over a winter storage. I try to change oil in late fall.

3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never seen the poop develop except in winter. The oil present in late fall in my experience is fine. Would be a waste.

In Texas summer may be our most humid time but parked in the garage the oil is already over 100. By the time I have reached the mailbox the moisture is boiled off so it never builds up that time of year.

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    With ice, salt and snow, the car just sits in the garage. IMHO, better to sit with fresh oil.
    Tx etc is whole different animal.

5. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    How about blocking off half the oil cooler's airflow with a temporary piece of aluminum sheet? Just don't forget to remove it when the weather warms up.

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    from the front it should be possible. may be no aluminium sheet, better a thick paper or a cardboard?

8. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I am amazed that the TR has no oil thermostat (it is a useful feature in a Countach in cooler climates). Do the fans for the oil cooler switch on with the radiator fans, or is their operation entirely based on oil temperature? If the former, you could just pull the fuse/relay.

I have never seen such oil / water mix blow by in that hose that leads to the airbox - maybe check that the water pump drain hole is not plugged. When up to temperature, what does the oil look like on the dipstick?

FWIW, 5W40 Motul 8100 full synthetic is really good stuff.

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    no, there is a separate switch for the oil cooler fans

I also wonder about that :(

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Except for the 58 years I lived in California.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Considering the number of TR engines I have repaired for this problem (zero) I see no reason to fix that which is not broken.
    Going deep into 6 digit mileage territory is the norm outside of cases of poor service or destruction as a result of stupidity.

I drove ours over 200 miles yesterday, most of the time in excess of 80mph. The oil temp never got to 160 degrees. I am not losing sleep worrying about it.