Confessions of a GARAGE QUEEN | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Confessions of a GARAGE QUEEN

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by KKSBA, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    According to the mileage history on my old car (after the rollbacks which seem certain now that I read it again) it has accumulated a little over 1000 miles in the ten years since I sold it.

Now that, if it were true, would be a real GARAGE QUEEN.

ps - Anyone who owns or buys that car, your getting or have a car with a ton more miles than you think.

2. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    You seem relatively mild-mannered - after buying a car at 'fair market value', then having to dump a cool $11,000 into the car just to get it to run right.....

Myself, I'd be on a watertower in Dallas with a sniper rifle....

3. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I save the big guns for stuff that really matters...

I bought the best car I could find in the time frame I was willing to wait and then fixed the glitches that I didn't want to live with. Other glitches popped up, and decided not to live with them either.

In the end it is a car, stuff breaks. I get much more pissed off when stuff breaks in flight.

KK

4. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Thanks very much for sharing - a gread education to a newbie like me looking to buy. Obviously the cash needs to be in the bank and ready to go after acquisition.

Thanks again for sharing the details - a great read, and a happy ending.

5. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    See now, that was what this was all about. I'm glad my story was useful to you. The guys here at F-chat will be invaluable to you before, during, and in-between Ferrari ownership. They were to me.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks for sharing that great story. I too, bought a "garage queen" back in the fall of 1999. From a friend, a 78 308 GTS with 15k miles. He bought it 12 years prior with 7k miles, and did nothing but change fluids, spark plugs, new tires and batteries (lot's of batteries).

After a PPI, I had the carbs rebuilt, oil changed, and new plugs installed. My mechanic recommended I drive it for 700 miles, (easy, those are 21 yo belts!), took me about four weeks, then he did a complete major service, changed all coolant hoses and fuel hoses, and installed a Crane Cams, electronic ignition. I dropped about 4k on the car, and started driving it ALL the time. I was putting around 10k miles a year on it. Great car, great fun.

After 15k miles came up, I had the minor service performed, along with some dyno time and rejetted the carbs a bit richer, ran even stronger. Got rid of the car after an accident and got a 328. I hear some guy bought the car at an auction, and restored it to very nice condition (accident was all cosmetic, not mechanical, but expensive enough that the insurance company totalled it).

7. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    Thanks for taking the time to write that! One of the best posts I've read on an auto forum - and I've read thousands!

I agree on the garage queen thing. I actually bought a supposed low mile 308QV from the original owner. I put it up on jackstands and started going through the car, and the amount of work it needed (rubber parts, bushings, lines, etc.) was significant. I was a little bummed.

Further research indicated that the car wasn't as represented (among other things, the miles weren't correct) and the owner agreed to take the car back.

I think the BEST car to buy is one like yours - one that WAS a garage queen for years and years, but then has been driven regularly for the past couple years!

Anyways, my Ferrari dreams are over for now. I'm going to buy an apartment complex instead.

8. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I think you are 110% correct. The next F-cars I buy will be exactly as you described.

9. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Just logged on to this post...glad to see you still have your smile on after over $11,000 in 'surprise' repair bills....enjoy the drive. :)