Congratulations Wayne on FML article about our FC story! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Congratulations Wayne on FML article about our FC story!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Cavallino Motors, Dec 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, that one's easy... the impersonator doesn't want to be the one to bring it to our attention... they become the prime suspect... further, when it comes to light, the longer the pattern of behavior, the more realistic it seems. 4.66 posts a day is reasonable. 40 posts a day for 3 days would look like an impersonation.

Also, keep in mind that if we can attribute the insanity that we are to poor Matt, its much less insane to have fun on a board playing the lucky Ferrari owner knowing you're also setting up somebody you're pissed off at...

Its plausible... not too likely, of course... but plausible... and actually more plausible than the series of lies that actually are documented in Fchat threads and the FML article... if we hadn't seen them ourselves.

So, Matt... let's not worry about the RX8 nonsense for now... how about "the other side" of the FML article???

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    "Hey you failed to mention that the 512bbi appears to have been also a mystery."

The article is about the strange encounter with Mr. Phibbs that led up to the discovery of 0853 GT's current whereabouts. It was not intended as an attack on Mr. Phibbs himself, therefore, there was no point in discussing the details of the 512BBi.

"...based on the series of facts presented in the FML article, the only motive that seemed sane would be an attempt to establish that the fictional car was in your possession with enough clout that someone would actually send you money without seeing the car... and then you walk with that money."

As I've stated before, when I went back and reread the article, I realized that I had not really addresed Mr. Phibbs motives and that the ending was just too blunt. I did a rewrite that included a few additional lines at the end, but was too late in submitting the final version to Gerald before press time. Here is the rewritten closing paragraph that addresses this issue:

"With the mystery of 0853 GT’s whereabouts finally solved, I am still left chewing on one unresolved detail: I’m unable to clearly deduce Mr. Phibbs’ motives. If they had been monetary, certainly he would have requested some sort of payment or deposit in order to hold the car long enough for my wife and I to pull the entire amount together. Not only was no such request ever made, however, but it also seems unlikely that he had any criminal intent, considering I knew who he was and where he worked and lived. In the end, I suppose some gratitude is owed to Mr. Phibbs, whatever his intentions. After all, it was his fictitious discovery that eventually brought 0853 GT’s true hiding place to light."

3. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    Wayne, I agree with your intentions, I did have a smily face after that statement - I also went on to praise you for taking the high road

Best

Tom

4. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I highly doubt anyone is impersonating you. Tifosi was the first one to respond to what i had found and responded accordingly. Then it took off from there, I was just letting it be known his game was still on and still continueing the lies. I have nothing to gain out of this, just letting people know to beware and dont put to much trust in someone that continues to lie make up stories and then try to immediately delete there existance on other sites where the extra proof resides.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Matt -

What I really want to know is why you came on here as another name (mikey) and bashed the so cal section for enjoying Crystal Cove...

6. atrophy

atrophy Rookie

Dec 31, 2003
    edit:

bah, flames are bad. took out the flames. just want to express my disgust with matt, especially after reading how he treated jonas in another thread. If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black.... Man I dislike hypocrites. Seek help Matt.

7. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    I agree, and am sorry to all for exploding this.

It was not a personal vendetta against anyone, it is what appears to be the logical truth.

Wayne, your article is well written and very cool that you are on the cover of FML. Congrats!!

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Thanks!

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Wow. That's it...just....WOW.

10. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Wayne

As a relative newcomer to the forum I am amazed at the ability of persons like yourself that have an almost computer-like knowledge of Ferrari's. I have already embarrassed myself on my post "snapshots from Ft. Lauderdale" because of my lack of historical knowledge of the breed.

My reference base extends as far as "The Ferrari Buyer's Guide" and a subscription to FML and Forza.

How did you become such an expert on everything Ferrari? Is there a definitive guide for a beginner such as myself? Where should an aspiring amateur begin?

I not only want to own a Ferrari I want to understand the history and the nuances of Ferrari.

thanks

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    sduke, I'm certainly no expert on everything Ferrari, but thank you for the compliment. As far as where to begin in order to better understand Ferrari cars and history, it sounds like you're on the right track. In 1989, I came across what I considered at the time to be the most beautiful car I had ever seen on the streets of Monterey, CA. Closer inspection revealed that it was a Ferrari of some type, but was like nothing I had ever laid eyes on before. That prompted me to buy my first Ferrari book, Dean Batchelor's Illustrated Ferrari Buyers Guide. At the time, I had no idea of the effect that book would have on me.

The first thing I would recommend to you is a subscription to Cavallino magazine. It is, after all, the "Journal of Ferrari History." There are also a million books on the subject. Send me a PM or email and I'll compile a "must have" list for you.

Welcome aboard!

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #137 Spasso, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Taken from Google images today. Just so there is a picture with the post/ article. These were labeled as 0853GT.
    As of 2006, in the Stockholm Auto Saloon, http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/by-serial-number/odd-serial-numbers/odd-0801gt-0899gt/index.html The serial numbers are arranged in numerical order.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime

What shade of blue is this one? It looks heavenly. :)

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Celeste Pullman, Italver 6850.