Connection for CTEK Battery Charger | FerrariChat

Connection for CTEK Battery Charger

Discussion in '360/430' started by Monsoon, Dec 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Monsoon

Monsoon Rookie

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #1 Monsoon, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 battery charger for my 2004 360 Spider. I figure the battery charger is worth using if I'm driving once a week. I haven't used the charger yet, because I had a few questions. Any thoughts on either of these items would be appreciated.

1) I went ahead and got a cigarette plug to allow the CTEK to charge through the cigarette lighter. To me, connecting through the cigarette lighter seemed more straightforward than all the various ways I'm reading from other posts that folks connect the charger to the battery.

Is there anything wrong connecting through the CTEK through cigarette lighter to charge the battery? Is there any way that is preferred for connecting the battery charger to the car?

2) Behind the driver's seat, near the door there is a small wire coming out from interior that is very similar to (but doesn't fit with) the wire from the CTEK charger. Does anyone know what this wire is? Image of the wire coming out is below.

Thanks much!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I have that in my f430 to. Its for a battery maintainer. I thought those maintainer hook ups were standard

3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #3 I'm 360 Canuck, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    #2, looks like a quick connect for another brand trickle charger/maintainer....maybe Battery Tender Plus or something. Here's a pic from my battery tender plus.

On Aldous Voices site, he recommended putting the quick connect where you describe it...ie. behind the drivers seat in the electrical panel. Get out your screw driver and remove the panel and check if you like.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I have a Save A Battery maintainer and that hookup is the same

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have seen posts saying that it is NOT a good idea to go thru the lighter plug. Better to go as directly to the battery as possible.

I build adapters to go from CTEK to that type charger/maintaner plug.

Shoot me a PM.
    Alden

6. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
  7. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
  8. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What you have there, as the posters above me correctly linked, is an SAE connector that brands like deltran (?) uses. Just buy the SAE to ctek converter (like the link above mine) and you're good to go.... if the original connector is wired in properly

As for plugging into the lighter, a lot of car when the key is pulled the cig lighter circuit goes off means you wont be charging the battery. My previous Aston Martin had a special cig lighter plug in the trunk specially for the battery as the one in the cabin shuts off.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    To go through the *** lighter you would need the ignition on, as its normally dead as far as i know- plus it will be fused so if your charger exceeds the rate, bang goes the fuse. Tha cable conne tor is an off the shelf charging connector with a safety cover.
    If u remove the cover you should find the cable ends attached to the positive and an earth point- just connect your charger up to it, a lot easier than getting to the battery terminals. Usefull if you have a flat battery as you can charge up here at a much better fate than the trickle charger

10. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Mike32 you are rounding this out to be a great thread from a- I'm sorry to say- mundane
    start.
    Let's just say I wish to have a better fate than a trickle charger!

11. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Got it... I understand it better if I change all your F's to R's.. probably keyboard problem

JK

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Cig lighter can be called *** ligher in uk speak. My american english is not that great, i see some text on here i dont understand either.

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    A "***" is a cigarette in Brit speak and means something else in the US.

Same with "fanny pack" when going from the US speak to British.
    Alden