Considering 328 as first Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Considering 328 as first Ferrari

Discussion in '308/328' started by balke_macho, Feb 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks

where's the buttress wing on that car?
    i'll bet its out for a light brushing and press.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #27 jimpo1, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nobody has really warned you about maintenance on the 328. Although it's 'cheap' by Ferrari standards, it's not cheap by any other standard. I'm over $1 a mile for my car, and have owned it for 6.5 years. That figure does not include gas, insurance, tires, or oil changes. Be prepared.

I went shopping for red, wound up with this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Hey, that looks just like the 328 I was reading about in Forza today! ;) Congratz again, Jon.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said. No problems with mine, but it's due for a major later this year or early next, and that's probably $4K.

Wish it would stop raining here so I could quite reading Forza and go experience it in 3D...

5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Black also keeps its value better than those off colors like rossa and giallo..... :D!

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think Jimpo's has been "needier" than most. I have had mine 6+ years/16K miles and I'm no where near $1/mile. However, I think the absolute best you can hope for is around 40C/mile. If you drive a lot, the per mile cost goes down as the most expensive maintenance is time mandated, not miles.

Dave

7. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    i would definitely look for one w/o the buttress wing. an exceedingly rare variant which will add to the resale immensly.

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

You should try the TR :D

Bet you never notice how much it makes you smile though everytime you turn the key ;)

To the original poster, Bullfighter has the best description of the 328 ownership.....you will bold well under his direction :D

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    YES you are completely right. Even a well documented car will need $$ worth of work just to keep it healthy. I've had mine for 2 years and have spet at least $1000 on maintenance... its just part of the fun. I had a 308 for about 12 years and spent big $$$ on keeping it alive.. but I bought with my heart and not my head... I'll never do that again.

BUY THE BEST CAR YOU CAN AFFORD... this is not a HONDA, and it will never be that reliable ... dont beleive anyone who says it is!!!!

10. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Honestly, I think this is the best advice so far.

I have a 308 QV because I like the "classier" look of the 308s, but the 328s are well-sorted out and probably the best of the true "3" series v8s (308GT4s, 308s, 328s, 348s and 355's, this is not including the jellybean 360, it ain't a 3 series, its a jelly bean car).

That said, the most ratty 328 will cost you big time compared to the best sorted out 308 GT4.

Simply put, buy the best car you can afford, and enjoy.

James in Denver

11. ktmrider

ktmrider Rookie

Oct 30, 2005
    I've had a Mondial QV and a 328 . I loved them both and enjoy them as often as I can/could . They are pieces of art that I could drive . I also enjoyed working on them but tired of hearing we can't get this or that part any more from my Ferrari dealers eg. targa seals , 22 mm air pump hose , etc. If you are an absolute perfectionist don't get a Ferrari made before 2000 . While the 328 motor and frame are super strong and reliable even under punishment the rest of the car is so-so mechanically by today's standards . Dash material is semi-cheesy , interior rattles like a NY taxi on slow bumpy roads so go fast . If you have driven a race car hard you'll feel the connection to the 328 when you drive it hard . I've had several BMW's and Mercedes and the connection is not there and probably not intended . The 328 requires a lot of attention over about 125 mph . Don't sneeze above that speed . Oversteer comes on pretty quick at the cornering limit , too . Not much warning so explore high speed on/off ramps carefully . Suspension is semi-old school in that hitting the same line in a corner is not likely . Takes a little practice to learn to anticipate the corner and how the suspension will set for it . Does about as well on bumpy corners so its good not great handling . Your BMW 335i is much more precise on turn in and through a corner and does about as well as it bumps up . My Mondial was white and almost invisible to the driving public . Not so on the 328 . It is rosso corsa ( red) and evokes a lot of passion . People point , a few idiots want to race , some ask if its a kit car and every top line restaurant or hotel lets me park wherever I want . I was parked beside a rosso corsa 599 GTB the other day and it was amazing to me the 328 looked 95 % as good as the 599 . The larger wheels and tires on the 599 made most of the difference . People looked at the 599 for a few minutes but hung around the 328 a lot longer . I think most realize they will never have a 599 but can see themselves in a 328 . Finally , when I remove the targa top on the 328 and take it out when its not too hot it is just about a spiritual experience . Going up and down through the gears with that awesome F-1 like sound and wringing out backroad turns at moderate speed is like no other car I've driven . It is addictive . I would not hesitate to buy a 328 with 70K miles if the service records are complete and its had proper unscheduled maintenance/care such as everything made out of rubber that has anything to do with the engine or suspension replaced , an updated R-134a A/C conversion , has not been wrecked , has even compression from cylinder to cylinder above about 135 psi and runs/shifts well . Good luck .

12. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Marshall
    I have to tell you if you are buying your first Ferrari and can afford a 328 go for it. I bought a 308 (1979) and so wish I would have paid the extra dough for a 328. I promise you won't be disappointed. Take your time and do your PPI's and you truly won't be disappointed.

13. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    All idiots want to race. Some guy in Porsche 996 blasted by me at 80mph+ in a residential zone last week.

The 328 looks 180% as good as the 599. The 599 was the latest toy last year, just like the F430 Scuderia is this year. Anyone reading this thread will likely someday face the option of trading his 328 straight up for a 599.

14. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    The 328 looks 180% as good as the 599. The 599 was the latest toy last year, just like the F430 Scuderia is this year. Anyone reading this thread will likely someday face the option of trading his 328 straight up for a 599.[/QUOTE]

Would you?

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    That's the best advice you can get, drive it to get your cost per mile down! :) I started with a higher mileage car than many do, and now it's even higher.

If I didn't notice that, I wouldn't still own the car! :D

My justification for owning the car is that you can pay for your car in 2 ways. In maintenance or in depreciation. I chose maintenance. It's worth (in my mind) at least what I paid for it, and probably more as it's now very well sorted.

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Today: Yes, then I'd dump the 599 before prices drop further and pick up something less computerized, like an F40.

Future: No.

18. lee328gts

lee328gts Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    planet earth
    Full Name:
    Lee