Considering 355 or 360 challenge for HPDE | FerrariChat

Considering 355 or 360 challenge for HPDE

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Sancho22, May 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Hi
    I am thinking about acquiring either a 355 or 360 challenge car for 5-8 DE events/year.

I have been running Porsches (from 944-to a GT4 now) and love them.

However since I acquired my 95 355 spyder 3 years ago, I can't stop looking at challenge cars.
    I know it will likely be more expensive than a 996 GT3 or my current 2016 GT4, but can't help myself.

I am a PCA instructor and take care of my cars do not race and not trying to be the fastest guy on the track.

The two cars I am looking at are fairly close in price. Certainly the 360 is more modern car with better F1 vs the 355 version. The 355 on the other hand is manual which I prefer and truly love the platform.

Maintenance is key of course, clutch, engine, ball joints, over-revs, fluid changes and all this well documented of course. I am in NJ and have pretty good access to several good independent shops.
    What else should I look for?Thanks in advance to your insights.

2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I would go with the 360 Challenge because it will simply have that real race car feel in everyway.

You already have a 355 and the 355 Challenge was the most tame of all the challenge cars, evidenced by them being largely street legal still. The 355 and then 355 Challenge is very redundant to own and it THAT much different than a regular 355.

The 360 Challenge transmission is very good and you won’t miss not having a stick.

Definitely 360.

Gh21631 likes this.
  3. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Thanks!
    Any additional things to watch out for on the 360?

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I may add a 360 challenge as well, perfect for track days.

360Tom likes this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Lots of unscrupulous sellers so be sure to get service history and PPI. It was likely wrecked multiple times but as long as it was put together properly you should be good.

6. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Yeah good point thanks

7. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    any thoughts on hours/mileage the tranny and the engine needs a rebuild?

8. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I can't speak to hours of use, wear parts, etc. but I can offer this....

As a track car you are completely capable of removing the driveline yourself. You can buy the tools for your garage like a set of quick jacks and an engine hoist for less than the cost of your first major rebuild labor hours. I would say the 360 is very well documented on working in a DIY setting and (first world problems, right?) you aren't counting on the car running every weekend so a few months down is fine.

Once you have the motor out, any competent machine shop can do the work for you. Pistons and valves can all be ordered custom sizes and you'd be amazed how many companies produce these parts. Not trying to convince you of buying a clunker but the undocumented nature of many at this point (these are 20 years old) is a risk I'd be willing to jump into. I have heard wheel bearings are an issue on the 360 Challenges, as are finding track tires in the size you need. 430's have a more common tire now, although both are expensive the 430 stock seems easier to find.

Good luck in your journey, I'm not far behind you. I've driven them all on track and I am fond of the 355 exhaust note. 360's are great DE cars, I agree and a good value in the market.

9. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Appreciate the insight!