Considering a 328, will I be disappointed? | FerrariChat

Considering a 328, will I be disappointed?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rowan, Dec 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rowan

Rowan Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    I have been considering a 360/430, however I am having second thoughts considering the dependency needed upon computers + stories of typical repairs exceeding $10K.

I have a few questions re: 328

slow?
    fun?
    a lot of rattles?
    build quality?
    potential for a lot of headaches?

2. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    It's only slow if unfairly compared to modern cars.
    Nothing really more fun to drive.
    A few squeaks, here and there, but no rattles.
    Build quality is about as good as it gets; it's a Ferrari.
    One of the least problematic F-cars, assuming you do your homework and by a car that's been reasonably well cared for.

Nuvolari likes this.
  3. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA

That's it in a nutshell.
    I would add that if you do your own work they are easy-ish to work on, plenty of parts availability, lots of help here.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have a perspective in that I have a 360 six speed coupe and a 328 gts (I mention because the OP mentions interest in a 360/430). I am never disappointed driving the 328 and drive it more often than the 360; to me, in many ways the 328 is more of what a sports car should be. It is smaller, lower to the ground, you sit lower in the car, no ABS, no power steering. It is, by modern standards, under-powered, including of course compared with the 360, but i dont think that detracts from the experience. That said, if you think the power might be an issue for you, you should try to drive one. In terms of maintenance, once mine had some issues that the prior owner neglected dealt with, it has been a solid car (though in fairness so has the 360). Happy to discuss more with the OP via DM

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Slow? Compared to most modern cars, probably. You might beat a new Honda in 0-60. Might not.

Fun? Hell yes. These cars are so small and low, that it disguises a lot of older-car-power-deficiencies. You hear everything, you feel everything. It's an amazing experience on a back road.

Lots of rattles? The 328 is better-built than my 308, which doesn't rattle.

Build quality? Honestly, not something a vintage Ferrari is known for. The more you explore an old Ferrari, the more "seriously?!" moments you'll have.

Headache potential? Yeah, there's potential. How much of a headache depends on your skills with a wrench.

But for all of that: when I was shopping, I was considering 2 cars. A 2017 Cayman S, and an '85 QV. The Porsche kills the 308 in every quantitative category, and comes with a nice warranty. And in the end, I decided the 308 offered me some things that the faster car didn't. Drive both a 328 and a 360, and I'm sure you'll figure out which is the better fit for you.

6. j9fd3s

j9fd3s Rookie

Apr 12, 2006
    IMHO...

speed =/= fun. plenty of fast cars get a lot of ink, but are dull as ditch-water.

fun comes from, partly, in the way that the car engages you. you have 9 senses (look it up), and the more of these that the car (or anything) engages the more you will enjoy it. so the Ferrari looks good, sounds good, feels good, smells good...

Il Tifoso and sawzall77 like this.
  7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Now, with the great passage of time, does this still hold true?

Back in the day, when the new 328 design was compared to the 10 year old 308 design, the 328 was clearly a great leap forward for Ferrari. Much was written in the day.

Now that the newest of the herd is 30 years old, I am wondering how much that perceived gap has narrowed.

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 328 will do over 155 mph, I don’t think that slow.
    It’s more reliable than a 360 IMHO and still has the
    Classic look not to mention easy to work on.

9. JB833

JB833 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    London
    I ditched a 458 for a 328 for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. The cost going forward to fix things! I can happily say that I am delighted with the 328 and love driving it. I hope to have it for a long long time....

10. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    While described as slow, compared to modern cars, the 328's performance can easily keep up or surpass most. But, you have to be more involved to extract the performance and the 328 lets its presence be known though an engine sound that those Honda's and Lexus don't have. My '04 Maserati Spyder had more performance (measured as acceleration and top speed) but the 328 is much more fun. And, the 328 doesn't have all those electronics that could be a real PITA on the Maserati - I don't know how the Maser's electronics compare to a 360 or 430.

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think the "slow" moniker for 3x8's is way overplayed. Maybe a new V6 Camry will beat it 0 to 60 but not 60 to 120 and there was no Toyota in the 70's or 80's that would beat it at anything. Also the 308 was an evolution of the Dino, not the Boxer. It was never meant to be a super-car, just a very nice high end GT sports car. Sitting less than six inches off the pavement helps too.

12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You have posted this enquiry in the 308/328 section. I'm just wondering what sort of response you were expecting when asking if you will be disappointed?

bertrand328 likes this.
  13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Any late 80's Ferrari was pretty much state of the art when new. For that time period they are fast and well built. Are they Honda Civic reliable? No, but I think a well-maintained late 80's Ferrari is as reliable as a similar vintage Porsche, Mercedes, or BMW, and better than a similar vintage Lotus, Aston, Alfa, or Maserati. Many, many parts are interchangeable w/ German cars, Volvo, and even GM (AC parts, ABS parts, etc). The best news: if you like the feel and sensations from cars of that period you will be thrilled with a Ferrari. They are very visceral, extremely involving, and have far more panache than the German cars I mentioned. It's a friggin' Ferrari! Just my opinions.

SpyderGT and JB833 like this.
  14. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Only thing disappointing about a 328 .. is not owning one.

RDiablo and sawzall77 like this.
  15. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    I own both a CS and a 328 GTS and I find myself driving the 328 more often than I thought. Although it's quite slow compared to modern standards, it still is so much fun to drive. The only time it gave me problems, was when I was working abroad and could not drive it regularly.

I think the 328 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. But if you are looking for speed, then get a 360 (or 430).

16. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Good comments here. I would sum it up this way: modern car versus classic car. I have a 308 QV and love it. It’s great looking, and it is still a car (as opposed to a computer attached to a car). You have to drive it. It doesn’t drive for you. Driving a 3x8 is a visceral experience, and no modern car can compare.

If you get a 328, do yourself a favor and get one that has a great service history. A few miles on the car doesn’t matter. My QV has been very reliable, and It started on the 2nd try on Friday after not being started in 2 months (Connecticut weather!). A 328 should be no different.

As for “potential for headaches”, a 360 and 328 are equally likely (or equally unlikely) to have issues. Again, my preference has always been to buy a car with a few miles and good service history. My car always has a few squeaks and rattles on the first ride or two in the spring, but they go away once the car is “woken up”.

If you’ve only driven modern cars, a 328 will seem stiff and a 360 will be more familiar. Get the 328 if you want the classic sports car experience in a sexy package. Get a 360 if you want a fast, sexy car that drives more like your daily driver.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

17. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    You need to drive to decide! Eighteen years ago I got a 328, three years ago added a gated 360, which I changed to an F430 a year ago. Each one adds something to the driving experience but loses something as well. You will have to set your own priorities. Documented mileage and service history are crucial.

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    OP just keep in mind that newer cars are safer than old small cars

19. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Uhhhhh...do you plan on buying it sight unseen and without test drive?

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I've had one for 15 years.

Fun. Fast enough to go to jail. Feels a lot faster at 80 than my Abarth 500 does at 100. Handling is very different than modern rides -- more skittish, less forgiving. Weird things cost a lot: front targa seal, front non-abs rotors ($$$!), fog lamps. Climate control is terrible. Mechanically pretty simple, but don't expect the local Ferrari dealer to understand CIS injection. It's best to find a good local independent shop, and ask them who has what that might be for sale. If you're not involved with the local Ferrari club, get involved. That's the best way to get a test drive in someone's car.

Oh, and if you just -have- to have great power and modern brakes, I know a couple of guys who can do pretty amazing things with turbos and custom machine work.

sawzall77 likes this.
  21. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Another thing you need to consider is space. The 328 is a tiny car, smaller than you'd think. If you're taller than about 5'10" then you should really sit in one to make sure you fit, there's quite a few owners here who are taller than that and manage just fine though. Someone here once wrote something along the lines of "you don't sit in a 3x8, you merge with it".

But, if you can get comfortable, then driving one is kind of like driving a luxury go-cart. They're also very easy to drive, the clutch in a well sorted 328 is not much different than the clutch in -- say -- a Honda Accord, so you can drive in traffic with no problems, but where it really excels is on a twisty mountain road in the middle of nowhere at 6am.

22. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    That's how I did mine, although everyone I dealt with I trusted.

23. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    And FYI, the seats are designed for narrow shouldered folks. Do sit in one before you buy. That said, you start top lose feeling in your shoulder blade area after a while and then it's fine. ;-)

24. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    slow? Not slow, but not fast like a 360/430
    fun? Of course.
    a lot of rattles? No.
    build quality? Great for an 80s car.
    potential for a lot of headaches? Probably much less than a 360. 430 might be closer to 3x8 ease of service.

I think the comment of classic vs modern is spot on. Ferrari went from small sports cars to larger rides with the transition from 355 to 360. 355 and prior are tiny when sitting next to a 360 or later Ferrari.

There are certainly horror stories you can find about ANY car. And these are no different. The windows will probably be slow. The AC will be asthmatic. But the 3x8 series is a work horse. So much more simple. Far less electrical stuff like in the later cars to have bad connections, connections swapped by incompetent mechanics, etc. The 3x8 is probably about one of the easiest clutch jobs to do in the world. Belts are accessible from the wheel well. It doesn't get easier in Ferrari land than the 3x8 regarding service. In short, the 3x8 series is ideal for a first Ferrari.

What a 360/430 will do is smoke a 3x8 performance wise. Just night and day difference. The AC will work well. The windows will go rapidly up and down. It is a modern car and you get the amenities that go along with that. If 0-60 times are important to you, then go to something with more power like the 360. If zipping along a curvy road with inspired handling floats the boat, then either will accomplish this and put a smile on your face.

25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Okay, I'll be the oddball. I have a 308 and a 360 stick. I got the 360 stick instead of what I was looking for - a 612 - because the right car came along, and I was not completely satisfied with the 308 performance envelope.

Yes, there is a LOT to be said for a Ferrari you can hustle around on back roads at speeds that won't get you arrested, and the experience is very charming and wonderful.

But I live an hour's drive from Circuit of the Americas, and I'm laughing right now thinking of what the 308 would be like there.

Thinking of what the 360 will be like at COTA gives me goosebumps.

I'm going to restore the 308 and enjoy it for a few years, but then I'll need to sell it to get another V12 2+2, probably a 612.

I'm 60, so a 360 stick and a 612 F1/a will probably do it for me, unless I live long enough to need a 430 and an FF. :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.