Considering a 456 | FerrariChat

Considering a 456

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mixedgas, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good afternoon, I apologize in advance if this has been thoroughly discussed before, but I am considering 456 for my next Ferrari. I need something with 4 seats (I have 2 small kids), and would prefer a V-12, and 6-speed. My understanding is that the list of suitable cars gets pretty short with my list of 'wants' and so I've been looking at the 456. I'm not really interested in the 400 or earlier cars.

In a nutshell, it seems the consensus is the 6-speed with Daytona seats is the way to go. I'm trying to understand if an 'M' car or an earlier car is "better" recognizing all of this is subject to personal preference.

Any colors that are better or worse for the 456's lines?

I value any thoughts you might have.
    Cheers,
    Mike

paulchua likes this.
  2. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Prefer the M because it has all the updates.
    Don’t like red. Better: blue/ green/silver, if you like: black (I don’t)
    I like tan seats but with the kids black has a better future.
    All that said you will have a Ferrari to enjoy alone or with family.

3. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.

Hi,

well, there’s nothing wrong with the standard seats. Personally I have never seen Daytona seats live in person anywhere on a 456. I know they exist but perhaps more in the US where ”bling” is more popular.

To the other stuff, I would say the same as for any E-type (or to he honest, any Jag) get the best you can find.

These cars are fantastic value for money, but also they can be money pits. As they are now 20-30 years old, the original stereo, AC, power steering, self levelling rear suspension, and especially the door windows can be a problem and athough they all can be repaired they can be a bit laborsome.

To me the biggest effort so far was repacing driver’s door seal! No I mean really, you can not imagine how much work is required. :-o

Still definitely worth the effort, just a couple of stints at 260-280km/h on the German Autobahn without problems and minimal wind noise and it was really worth all the trouble.

Great threads here on fchat, check them out.

cheers!

mixedgas and F456M like this.
  4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    As a family car, a 456M GTA would be my choise. Silky smooth and comfortable... real oil pan automatic. It is a quite heavy car and I feel that transmission gives the car a very good delivery of all the engine’s torque. I had a 456M GT manual. It was a great car. Good luck.

mixedgas and paulchua like this.
  5. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    MHO
    The gate shifted GT is part of the fun of driving a Ferrari.

brogenville, mixedgas and Gizzi like this.
  6. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Mine is black, and I will say that while it’s very bad ass looking, the black does obscure the gorgeous lines a little.

mixedgas likes this.
  7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    LVP488, aseweepay, mixedgas and 6 others like this.
  8. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Some, me included, prefer the looks of the earlier (non-M) cars: hood vents and especially the interior with the non-airbag wheel and more/nicer gauges.
    Color of course is very personal but I think the Blue LeMans on my '95 really showes the subtlety of the design well.

mixedgas, Il Tifoso and Gizzi like this.
  9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree. I also see no point in having a torque converter in a Ferrari.

Matt

mixedgas, paulchua and Gizzi like this.
  10. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    We bought our 456 for precisely the same reason. Our children were young at the time and we took them to most of the F club functions. Plenty of room in the back. The manual is a preferred option for most, but the auto is good too. We still have the 456 and will do for many years. It’s a gorgeous car to drive. I’d agree with regard to colour, almost anything but red, it just doesn’t do the car justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mixedgas likes this.
  11. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Either way, these are tremendous value for your Ferrari dollar. I think, as some have stated, it comes down to finding one with the specs you like. There were just under 3200 456s of all flavours produced, as I recall.

I agree that the manual is a must, and I think you're definitely better off buying more expensive but sorted examples. Rear suspension, window regulator pins and shrinking interior leather are the three big problems. Aside from that, they are simple creatures for the most part (obscure ECUs in everything notwithstanding).

To help a bit: one thing that a lot of people forget: the M is a slightly tighter fit inside. I'm 188cm, and I was hitting the ceiling in the M. I have about 2cm to spare in my GT. (I do like to sit somewhat more upright). I can't have anyone sitting behind me, but I bring my wife and 3-year-old along often.
    M has OBD2 (in US), which in many cases seems to be a mixed blessing. M has newer and better stereo system.

GTs are mostly manual (70% or so), while the reverse is true for Ms. You'll have more chances of finding a manual GT, and it will be cheaper than a comparable M.

(all stats are as I can best recall, I don't claim absolute truth!)

mixedgas likes this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 97 US GTs and GTAs had Motronic 5.2 and OBDII, from mid-CY96 through the introduction of the M in late 97.

mixedgas and tantumaude like this.
  13. forgottenkeys

forgottenkeys Rookie

Mar 1, 2016
    Hi

I bought a 456M GTA as a family car about 5 years ago and I have never regretted buying it. Mine’s an auto as there just weren’t any RHD manuals on the market - they are like hens teeth in the UK. I have used the car on school runs, on fishing trips, family visits and just about everything other than track days. In that time it has only left me by the side of the motorway once. Like others have said - do your research and make sure the car you get has been properly looked after otherwise you will be in for a few hefty garage bills. Also be aware that some of the parts aren’t made anymore so if they fail, you have to wait until you can get hold of the part from one of the breakers. It took me 2 years to get a seat switch for example.

mixedgas and 456M GTA like this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Mike, welcome.

I recently was in this situation. I bought a 99 456M GTA a couple years ago.

As far as the M vs. Non-M. Two questions you must ask yourself. Which looks better? Do you want the updates? To me, they look about the same, so the former was not a big issue; the latter, however, was of importance to me. Seats are subjective, get the one that you like best. I will say the standard seats are the most comfortable seats of all the cars I've owned!

I would recommend if this is your first Ferrari to get the 6-speed. While the automatic is very well suited for the car, much of the 'magic' of Ferrari, I feel, lies in the gated shifter. I already own another Ferrari with this anachronistic wonder, so having an automatic is less a liability for my personal usage.

Not to pooh-pooh the automatic, as I said - it matches the touring nature of the vehicle. I have other cars that are far more exciting or visceral when sporting is my primary goal. To me, the 456 always represented a tuxedo vs. tracksuit. Some would argue to find a compromise, say a 'suit' for the formal event, much merit to this. I just feel if you are going to don the Tuxedo, one should utilize the more traditional (and less sporty) cummerbund.

I have no regrets - the car has been an absolute pleasure. Boy do I love the power of full depreciation as well.

Best to you.

mixedgas, 456M GTA and Il Tifoso like this.
  15. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you all very much for the well stated replies! My first Ferrari was an '89 328 GTS. I enjoyed the car but didn't use it much because I always had two excited kids that wanted to come with me every time I went for a drive. I also felt the 328 was too small (personal preference of course) considering the large number of legal-marijuna-consuming-SUV-drivers we have here in Portland (just a fact, not a political statement or anything). I ultimately sold the 328 for lack of use. I liked the gated 5 on my 328 but can see how an automatic fits the character of a 456; the same is true of my Citroen SM which is another GT. I'll watch the market, but I note a silver 456 hit Bring a Trailer today...

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Well sorted 456s are a joy, 6 speed or automatic, and the automatic transmission is perfectly matched to the big V12.

mixedgas likes this.
  17. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    There’s a wonderful 456 GT stick coming up on BAT , Seen it a bunch at cars and coffee everything has been fixed .

mixedgas likes this.
  18. Ado4wd

Ado4wd Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Germantown, TN
    Full Name:
    Andrew O
    Have you considered the FF?

Manual transmissions are great but paddle shifts are fun too.

had a manual 456 for about a year and bought it for similar reasons to you but at the end of the day I left the kids at home and drove my 458 instead.

I will admit that the 456 does have a certain, rare cool factor.

Il Tifoso, Mirek and mixedgas like this.
  19. michael1017

michael1017 Rookie

Nov 5, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Michael Hartung
    Hi
    I have a 95 456 GT and I have owned it for 15 years. Purchased from Ferrari of SF with 23000 miles and it now has 53000 miles. I’ll probably own it for the rest of my life. The early cars have more cabin space which appeals to me because I’m a big guy. It also has more of the styling cues borrowed from the Daytona and other iconic earlier models I like. The M cars seem to bring slightly more money, for whatever reason.
    Mine is CDF (gunmetal gray) over natural hides which I believe is about perfect. Darker colors are best because of the subdued styling. Windows fitting properly will be a problem, but it’s not insurmountable. The six speed stick is great.
    Mike
    Seattle

Il Tifoso and mixedgas like this.
  20. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You are all a fine bunch of humans, thank you so much for your thoughts! I considered the newer 4-seaters but in all honesty I dont have experience with the F1 type transmissions. I'm pretty convinced I 'need' a gated shifter. Also, the styling of the 456 speaks to me more than the 612 (my runner up), and the gated 612 is quite rare. Lastly, and I don't mean to offend anyone by this, but the newer 4-seat Ferraris look too much like a hatchback for me. My parents neighbor has a GTC4Lusso and while it's a nice car it doesn't say "Ferrari" to me. Maybe I'm just old school, but I'm ok with that...

On an unrelated note, how concerned should I be about the 456 valve guides? Is this a common issue that has mostly been addressed by now in affected models, or specific to a few model years etc.? I note the Colorado car that sold last week had the guides replaced, a fact which I attribute to it's strong sale considering the other 'drama' around that car (damage, incorrect wheels, etc.). I'm a fairly competent mechanic and I intend to perform maintenance myself, but I would rather avoid pulling cylinder heads.

Lastly, I'm aware of the cold-gearbox issue (not going into second until warm). I experienced that with my 328, and mostly just avoided 2nd gear until (very) warm. I live in a colder climate, and I was curious if anyone has successfully installed a 'block heater' type warmer on the Ferrari gearboxes to mitigate this issue?

Thanks again!

MaurizioAM likes this.
  21. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Looks like most of the bases have been covered. I'll only add, at least in my 456, the cabin do tend to smell of gas and exhaust from the V12, just something to consider/watch for when looking, especially if shuttling your kids around for long periods. Cheers.

22. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Oh yea, if the car has sat and/or has low miles you will likely need to replace the all the rollover valves on top of the fuel tank and check the back of the fuel pumps for cracks and you also must replace both rubber fuel pump surrounds (they also dissolve) as well as the other gaskets that dissolve within the tank. Not a big deal, but it has to get done or you will eventually be purchasing new fuel pumps and/or wondering why your car has a rough idle, smells like gas, is down on power, etc...

Make sure you have the tank full when you are smelling around too. !

23. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Stick with the stick.
    You already stated you prefer a manual and I guarantee you will forever wonder should you go with a GTA

Il Tifoso likes this.
  24. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat

I'd be curious to see how many cars actually have had valve guides fail. I'd be willing to bet it is another of those overblown issues that happened to a few very loud owners. When I was looking, I came across a lot of 80k km+ cars in Europe, nobody ever spoke about them.

Fennicus and Mirek like this.
  25. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Glad somebody said that.

tantumaude likes this.