Considering a 456 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Considering a 456

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mixedgas, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mat- Overblown until it happens to your 456 or 456M. I would want to do a leakdown on either before purchasing.

tantumaude likes this.
  2. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

So do I. And as the streets were dry I took a drive today and went to the other garage and changed tyres.

It does not matter, just change up to third from first, no biggie. I also often go from 3rd to 6th when I enter the highway. The V12 happily pulls. Just don’t stress it or give high revs before oil temp is above 70C. That’s also said in the owner’s handbook, a good idea to get one and read it.

Regarding the valve guides, if there are no symptoms (blue smoke on acceleration) there is no problem.

Of course a properly done compression and leakdown test would always be good. But I didn’t have that luxury. 80k+ kms when bought and now I have about six years and 18.000kms behind, very enjoyable. :)

And even I think the 612 is a good looking, but very large car. And hard to find a 6-speed. ;)

Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are sets of valve guides that are good, and sets that have some bad (brass instead of bronze) apples. Luckily, there seem to be more of the good sets.

4. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  6. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Wow. I wanted that color so bad when I was looking.

7. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Rosso Monza if I recall correctly.... beautiful color.....

8. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Car will be on BAT starting next week, I’ve seen the car at cars & coffee many times it’s a real beauty..

SteveVT likes this.
  9. Tricolore999

Tricolore999 Rookie

May 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Stunning color indeed! Can't wait to check it out on BaT

10. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    The seller is a member here Alfredo "oss117.

11. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    It's got some miles on it.... beautiful color.... 6spd.... I bought mine on BAT back in July.... is he selling it with the 550 wheels in the auction too?

12. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    No idea you should pm him..

13. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    That was exactly my predicament years ago when I had a young wife and 2 growing kids.
    I was looking for a Ferrari, it had to be a 12 cylinders and the engine had to be in the front, as that is what put Ferrari on the map.
    Originally I had my eyes set on a 412 as a spacious 2 + 2 with a V 12 in the front but then I came upon a Michael Sheehan article on the 456 GT and I was sold.
    The local dealer had 2 Ms, but both were an un-inspiring silver and automatics (a no-go from the start), besides being overpriced.
    I looked for almost a year seeing cars in almost every color of the palette, until I found the one that did it for me: a '95 456 GT in Rosso Monza with a Beige interior.
    It was possibly one of the best decisions I ever made as we went all 4 of us to Ferrari meetings, shows, dinners and all kind of events organized by the local FCA chapters, meeting new friends and getting compliments along the way for the clean lines of a true "gentleman's car".
    Therefore if you are looking for an entry level Ferrari that will not break your bank account and will have room for your family, I can strongly recommend the 456.
    Good luck

EnzoItaly, papou, Mirek and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    paulchua, EnzoItaly and Il Tifoso like this.
  15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Il Tifoso, papou and Mirek like this.
  16. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    When looking for a 456 always look for one in this condition with miles on it because you know the issues that are prevalent with this model have
    been dealt with.

17. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I have had a 97 F456GTA for the past 6 years and I love it. However, you must be aware that the space in the rear seats is extremely limited. My kids would fit but only if they put their legs up on the seat. I am almost 6 feet and there is no way anyone behind me can have their feet on the floor.

My kids are now 11 and 7 and we are getting close to not being able to use it as a family car anymore. Don't get me wrong I still love it and I have no regrets but the rear seat space of the 612 is one thing I wish I had.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    612 and ff are better but not really usable unless the front passengers sit all the way up. My pre teens wont go in the ff

19. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Exactly! That's why I bought my 1995 456GT with 39,000 miles..... it's a great car!

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Scottsdale ferrari has an awesome 6 speed 456. It's beautiful and it sounds soooo good.

The color combo is not what I would want on paper but let me tell you... In person... The car is a knock out.

The ac panel and some sticky buttons need to be done but the rest is amazing. Really nice car.

21. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    What is the preferred place to look for a 456 in these times BAT,eBay, Autotrader.

22. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I'm a big guy (6 feet, 260 lbs) and I sat in the backseat of a 612 with 2 averaged sized adults in the front and I was quite comfortable and had ample space. Unless not all 612s are the same, the amount of space was a lot compared to my 456. As much as I love it, the only way I could have sat in it is if I had no legs (no offense to anyone who is disabled or amputated) just trying to explain.

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    have you considered a fiamminghi exhaust? im very tempted. work of art!

24. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    In fact I have his tailpipes and dual H pipe !

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Oh wow - sounds insane? No headers?