Considering a Ferrari - **WOW** | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Considering a Ferrari - **WOW**

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by orlanderlv, Jan 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. genepope

genepope Karting

Jul 25, 2006
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Gene Pope
    re test drives: #1, driving a Ferrari is never a waste of time and when someone else is providing the car and gas it is even less of a waste of time :)
    Also, I learned when shopping for airplanes: never turn down the left seat on a demo flight. Sort of maps over to cars too.

2. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    +1 on the nav system being archaic Chrysler sourced.

I like the 20" diamond finish rims, the daytona and power seats, the painted calipers (red in my case) and the yellow shields. The front rear sensors are useful since my garage is narrow lengthwise, I use this feature daily.

3. scrowe

scrowe Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Steve Crowe
    I have not had any experience with any other NAV/entertainment systems. However (and again), from a 2009 article in the New York Times:

“The head unit for the stereo and navigation system is straight out of a Chrysler minivan.” That’s damning, but not really true. Yes, the Chrysler MyGIG infotainment system is similar, but Chrysler did not develop it; a Canadian company, QNX, did. The Ferrari uses a unit made by Harman/Becker, a QNX affiliate. Regardless, it is a high-quality unit.

4. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    I have used many NAVs and this one is excellent. I love the traffic rerouting, it is real time and I was impressed when it pulled me off of the highway to bypass an accident.
    The only better NAV system that I have used is in my BMW. This is like sitting in a fighter jet and it shows you all the lanes on the road. "Move over one lane."

5. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I think the point is what are you test driving for? If it's to test the seats, ok. But if it's to test drive like you'll test drive any other car it's pointless. The handling, acceleration, power and sound will blow you away stepping up from a TT so it's hard to be critical as a first time byer. Because the car "goes like.... sounds like...." If you have experience driving similar cars, then you can relate to other experiences, but as a first time, you'll be blown away by the emotions and IMO it's impossible to be properly thorough and critical.

One can see this in journalists, new young-guns or less known magazines who finally get a drive in a high performance car will be overwhelmed and give the cars an over positive review. Notice how more rutined journalist like EVO magazine and Autocar are able to "test" the cars much more properly as they have experience in what it feels like and should be.

I do some journalistic writing testing high-performance cars, and I am very clear with myself. Being so young I never do 'reviews' were I test the car, giving it a score, matching numbers etc. I always write a "first impressions" article. Describing the feelings and telling a bit about the car instead of testing it properly. Because most likely I would give every new car I drive 9 or 10 out of 10 because I have so little experience relating to the insane numbers and real life performances of supercars.

6. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Do not get the upgraded stereo. Terrible, terrible. Search my posts and I actually photographed the difference. The stereo is definitely the worst part of the car and although there are detractors on the board here saying " Hey, it's a Ferrari. Who cares about the stereo.". I can tell you, when you are driving between Las Vegas and Los Angeles, it's nice to listen to good music. So, spend that 5k on an Aftermarket one. Also, if you do intend to drive the car for extended periods, get the cruise control. I wish I had. Finally, I enjoy and notice the difference between the magnaride settings.

One more thing, forget haggling for a price below MSRP. You can try, but I've had two cars sold an hour after I put in an offer below msrp at Wynn. Ended up speccing one myself and waiting for it.

Enjoy !

7. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    I think there is plenty of justification for test driving a car before you buy it, whether it be a Honda civic or a Ferrari; whether his deepest driving experience is the Audi TT or if he has the Aventador in his garage. You should know what you're getting. Everyones' expectations are different. If he is expecting the Cali to be a car on rails, perhaps similar to his TT, then he would be disappointed. Why are some people so against others test driving cars?? I don't get it. I wouldn't even buy a pair of $1000 headphones without hearing it first, much less a $200+k car without driving it. This is not the kind of buyer's remorse you want to experience....

8. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Service guys at the Wynn are the best of the best....amazing group of fellas in the 'basement' as the call it....

9. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Totally disagree with this statement. Another reason to test drive is for comparison purposes not only to see if you like or dislike. If you haven't driven something you are making assumptions and/or going by other peoples opinions. BAD MISTAKE.

I was all ready to buy an F430 and decided to "test drive" a Scud. In retrospect it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Guess which one I bought.

And yes, by comparison, I was "underwhelmed" by the 430 (apologies to owners since it is obviously a great car).

If I hadn't done the test drive I would have always wondered "what if" and would have made the wrong purchase for me.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #35 TheMayor, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    We are talking here about the CA.

It depends on what your comparing. The OP already decided on a new CA. You either like it or don't. It's not going to underwhelm you. On the CA, there's no choice of gearbox or whatever so it's just up to a few options.

A lot of dealers don't have demo cars. Some of the used cars on display are on consignment and technically, not in their possession.

Exotic cars I have bought without driving them:

Used:
    246 Dino gt (wasn't running)
    308 GTB (bought it on a recommendation from a friend)

New:
    Maserati Spider Cambiocorsa (still have it 11 years later)
    F430 spider
    458 Italia (oh, baby!)

None of them disappointed me when taking possession. I did sit in them -- but I didn't drive them.

Want to try test driving a 458? Good luck! :) So, you would not buy one because there isn't one to toodle around for 5 minutes? 1000's of people every year don't have a problem with it.

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The only caveat concerns the seats. Some don't care for a particular kind of seat so sitting / test driving them is recommended. Or the range of seating positions is insufficient.

But I agree that these cars have to speak to you or they do not. If not, then they truly are not for you. It's all good but go see porsche!

SV

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I sat in the racing seats and daytonas. You don't need to drive it for that

Most CA owners go for standard or daytona, which are the same except the insert.

Again, we're talking about the CA here. We are choosing a Scud vs 430 or a manual vs F1. They are all the same. You either want one or you don't.

13. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    I'm sure. That's why there are always so many low mile examples waiting to be sold...impulse buying or buying without trying first. Most people wouldn't consider buying a Honda civic without test driving it first. Why should it be different with Ferrari.

Exotic cars I've decided to pass on after test driving:

Porsche 911 4S
    Maserati GT
    Aston Martin V8 vantage

Just sayin...

14. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Once again totally disagree.....he decided on the Cali without driving it.....if he does drive it he may have a different opinion.

BTW....I did test drive a 458 and I chose to stick with my Scud after doing so ;)

If a dealer would not allow me to test drive a 200K -350K car B4 I buy it he ain't gettin my money !!

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Laughable. You're telling that because people couldnt test drive a new car they stopped driving it after they bought them?

Like I said, you'll never get a new 458 or GTO or any number of cars if you take this approach. Would you really pass on an Enzo because you had to buy it before driving it?

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You'll be driving that Scud for quite a few years. Would you really wait extra 2 years to get the 458 Scud just because you can't drive one? So, all 16M owners were crazy to buy it sight unseen? All GTO owners were nuts to take the plunge?

Once again, you keep comparing apples and oranges here. He's not deciding on two different cars. Can any of who own or have driven the CA walked away after the driving experience? You either like the CA or you don't. It's your cup of tea or it isn't. I'm not saying all test drives are not worth it. But in this case, it doesn't matter. All CA's are exactly the same. There's nothing to find out other than you want one or you don't.

Even worse, telling the OP he should walk because he can't drive one in advance is a disservice. Most of us who have bought new never drove them before buying. It's extremely common.

17. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    Bdelp, not everyone is like you or all the 16M, GTO owners. The OP has indicated that the Cali is more that he wanted to spend and that he wants to test drive before buying. No one is telling him to walk away bc he cannot test drive - only agreeing that some people need to test before buying. In fact you may be the one doing him a disservice by telling him to buy without driving first.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  19. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I bought my 599 without driving it. In all seriousness, what could there be not to like?

20. dougny

dougny Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    NY / LA
    +1 no test drive. Had never even sat in an F430 Spider when I got mine. I knew what I was buying. 100% satisfied.

21. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    NO TEST DRIVE = MORE EXCITING WHEN YOU HAD YOURS DRIVEN

22. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    Agree. Very much agree. In Asia, people put up a deposit 3-4 years ago on the California when rumors were out on the baby DINO and most people getting a 458 taking delivery now had deposits put in in 2008 and whole production cycle sold out. Most who bought the car never test drove one. This is Ferrari and it's customary for customers to buy without ever test driving. If you want a test drive, Porsche is more than happy to offer not one, but 10 as long as they can get you to put in a deposit (actually no one puts in a deposit for a 911). Ferrari is a little different system. At least in Asia.

Ambrose likes this.
  23. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    I am not in disagreement with those who are saying that many Ferrari buyers buy without driving first. We all know this fact already. But can you deny that just as many drive a few hundred miles then sell it when they realize it wasn't what they expected, etc? However, if one is not sure about if the car drives as they expect, then you don't want that kind of surprise. If dealer offers no test drive, then rent one. In the northeast and Florida, Gotham dream cars has the California and 458 available. When I rented a Cali for the day, the amount of attention the car got made me a bit nervous since I was not quite expecting that. It was only after I came to grips with this that I decided to go for it and not end up with a garage queen situation.

24. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Any dealer who does not offer a serious byer a test drive is completely an over confident and egocentric idiot. My local dealer will happily loan out cars to customers for days! That's also part of the reason I'll never purchase anything that's been sitting in their showroom though, considering they have all been trashed since day one...

25. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Not to belabor the point you are still missing the point.

The analogy you give is also very inaccurate.

The OP has never owned a Ferrari. He should test drive it whether you think its the best thing since sliced bread or not. You are being very altruistic to think everyone falls in love with Ferrari's. They don't and there are other alternatives that you can't possibly compare if you don't test drive them.

No one is telling him to walk either....he is being advised to figure out other options.

As for the analogy with my Scud, I do own a Ferrari....my future decisions and yours are based on a lot more personal experience. I may not have to drive the 458 Scud to make a decision since I have owned it's predecessor for many years.

Personally I think it is a disservice to suggest that he not test drive it but I am sure he is bright enough to figure it out for himself.

I hope that he gets what he wants and I hope he loves it. To the OP, enjoy your purchase whatever it may be.