Considering a Ferrari - **WOW** | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Considering a Ferrari - **WOW**

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by orlanderlv, Jan 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #76 MalibuGuy, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    Personally, I like to test drive a car before buying. I also like to spend time sitting in the car to test the driving position and the interior. I even listen to the radio and operate the sat nav.

Ferrari dealers have the issue of availability. If a car is pre-sold, then I think the dealer should not let anyone touch the car. I wouldn't want strangers sitting in or driving my new car!

F Dealers also don't want to give test drives to folks who aren't really prepared to sign on the line that is dotted.

So here is where some patience and some negotiating must occur between the two parties. But if the car you want to test drive which is already sold out for a year- get real- no test drive. The dealer can't sell you a car for at least a year.

2. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Not to belabor this conversation any further (though I am enjoying it) ... I think what BD is essentially saying is that if you already KNOW you want a California, a test drive isn't going to make you change your mind and therefore isn't necessary. If you are trying to decide between a California and an Aston or R8 or Porsche, then absolutely you should test drive all of them.

At the same time, though, I'd have to be suspect of any dealer where I was planning on dropping $250k if they couldn't produce a car for me to test drive, even if they had to make arrangements with another dealer or even in a different state. Personally, I would feel slighted, or that they weren't taking me seriously. I'd go elsewhere just to spite them.

But I also agree with several of the other comments that perhaps a rental is your best bet ... you simply cannot get a good enough feel for a car in 5 or 10 miles. Yes, it may be enough to confirm your decision to purchase (I can't possibly imagine being disappointed by any F-car), but it simply isn't enough to know what it's like to live with.

But to BD's main point ... if you are already convinced that the Cali is the car for you, a test drive is really meaningless. Aside from some minor irritations and a couple of semi-major issues here or there, the folks on this board all seem very, very happy with their Cali's and I've yet to read a post where an owner is disappointed in the performance.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, there is one good thing about this thread.

It's the longest California thread in a long time! :) Good to see a lot of non CA people actually read the threads in the CA section from time to time.

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    At our dealership California's are the easiest new car to order and the dealer has no problem letting me drive one...now a 458 seems to be another matter.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Just to add my two cents about a subject that seems to be going no where. I purchased a new california several months ago I knew I was going to get one anyway but then I did get to test drive a demo before . However all it did for me was make me decide I HAD to have one and with in a few months I did. It is not an issue for me to buy a car without driving it I have ordered and suspect most people on this forum have bought cars without testing. I would think I would like any Ferrari I bought. I mean test drive I guess is nice but sometimes with any reasonably difficult to get car just not possible .
    If I like a car test drive sometimes fall way behind the allocation of a rare car.. and if you are interested in getting a new model of car you would likely never get to drive it before ordering..
    Just my thoughts

6. orlanderlv

orlanderlv Rookie

Jan 3, 2012
    This thread has turned into quite the debate. I mentioned in a previous thread that i purchased the car I have now, the Audi TT-RS, site unseen. I knew how exclusive and difficult to get the car was and the performance numbers were enough for me to sign on the dotted line.

When I took possession of the TT-RS I was not dissapointed and know that I would not have changed my mind. The TT-RS is a beast.

I sat in a California and will likely go back to the dealership to sit in it again and take a closer look. I'll likely rent the California from one of the local exotics rental companies. However, it probably won't change my mind.

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I really enjoy my Cali.
    I plan to get the 458 spider and keep my Cali.
    That way I will have both a high performance GT convertible , the best in its class and a sharper sports car convertible, the best in its class as well

8. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT :) Ain't that fun?

I had a 2010 ZR1 with simple Lingerfelter mods pushing close to 700HP at the fly wheel. This baby blew away all the "Italian Trash" according to the magazines. Well one test drive and I just threw the keys to Ferrari and ordered the Cali. But, I would not have even pondered that if I did not have a test drive.

I am sure that this is a meaningless comment in regards to your initial post but your thread has been hi-jacked.

9. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    Hey different strokes for different folks. All differing opinions noted. As long as we agree to disagree.

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I did the same thing

11. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    When I DECIDED on the Cali - I wanted to just buy it. To get the options and price right I was looking between 10 and 13. Found a 2010 with every option I needed and decided to get it from LA while I live near Houston, TX. A Friend told me to at least test-drive before I buy so I looked around reluctantly and found locally an identical car with 6K less miles for less money. Hallelujah!

I was also split between NA and the 30 issue - but after driving the NA - I was sold cause it had "enough" power for me. I am not into racking, or street racing or any kinds racing LOL. Just want a nice ride with a solid punch.

I have owned a 500SL, a SL 55AMG, and a Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa F1 and they all feel much less powerful compared to Cali. I could afford a 458, as a matter of fact, I test drove one before I picked up the Cali same day - but just the thought of that low seating and lack of comfort for my 46 YO diabetic body kept me from buying the 458 that morning. It was white with black interior, not my first choice anyway. The Rosso/Cuio combo did it for me and the Cali.

Its subjective to personal tastes but to me, Cali is at the top level of all Maserati/SL AMG's/Jags/ and Astons GT car choices for looks/money/esteem (not track cars, but GT Cars).

See below my old Coupe that I bought on my 39th birthday and the new Cali.

- Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

uhn2000 likes this.
  12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Now if we can get you to ditch the Maserati flag for a Ferrari flag, then your garage will be set!
    T

13. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    :) OMG - All My friends told me the same thing!

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Listen to your friends, we care about you!
    T

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  15. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    #90 mobinakhtar, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Alright Tom - Just for you I ordered one today! I will start a new thread and post a pic just for you when it arrives!