Considering a move to Nashville area | FerrariChat

Considering a move to Nashville area

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by amenasce, Nov 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    My wife and i are fed up with Illinois and its ever increasing taxes, violence, never ending winter etc..and are looking at a few options where to move. Friends have said Nashville is pretty cool, booming and still affordable.

We are in our late 30s, with 2 young boys. I was told to look in Franklin or Brentwood.

We currently live in Naperville which is a suburb with a pretty active social life (150k people), a real downtown and always a ton of social events going on.

I would like to stay within the $500k to $600k range for a house.

Are these 2 towns a good choice in terms of schools, security and social life?
    How is the car event life in and around Nashville?

2. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Did almost the same thing, but moved from Naperville to Cumming, GA (just north of Atlanta) 15 years ago. Just my 2 cents but the weather in Atlanta is a bit better than Nashville. Nashville is a great place with lots to do. If you work from home like I do then traffic is not a big deal anyway.

3. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    We are also looking into GA. John's creek, sandy spring, alpharetta and Marietta.

How do you like GA?

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You might want to split the difference and consider Chattanooga. Nice town, big but not too big, with ample shopping and dining, and I know there are a few Ferraris around.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i moved from CHI to ATL in 95. city has grown 2-3X since ? traffic can be insane - mainly cause the roads were designed by idiots (or indians?)

live in east cobb and have thought about moving to a smaller locale

6. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Love it. Forsyth county has great schools, good driving roads in the mountains. Only 6-7 hours to the beaches in FL. Reasonable cost of living, many restaurant choices. We live in Windermere in Cumming, happy to show you our house and the area if you are in town.

7. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    is there still no state income tax in TN ?

8. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Correct, no state income tax in TN. Income from dividends/ investment income is taxed.

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    next election cycle, GA probably goes blue......

10. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Depends on how the next 4 years go

11. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Thanks will look into this one. Never heard of it. I do need a town that is somewhat easy to access for international flights as my family is in Europe and South America so i need to limit the # of layovers.

12. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Thank you for the offer. Im reading and researching and will probably fly to Atlanta for 3/4 days with my wife to see how it looks in person sometime in January/Feb. I will pm you then!

13. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I heard good things about East Cobb which as i understand is Marietta and Sandy Springs?

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    yeah that whole general area

15. SDDubbya

SDDubbya Rookie

Aug 10, 2016
    Milton, GA USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Werner
    My wife and I moved from Chicago northern suburbs to Alpharetta (Milton, actually) 12 years ago and would never go back north of the Mason Dixon again. Please feel free to PM, happy to share all of my learnings about the area.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Franklin or Brentwood either one you'll like. The money's there....and you're outside of Nashville enough to breath.

Don't overlook Murfreesboro. (Just the right distance from Nashville, IMO). There's a lot of money there as well. It was the 1st or 2nd fastest growing city in the Nation a few years back (don't know about now). It's growing so fast....everything is new. kinda strange......brand new businesses and subdivisions going in on what was farm land a few years ago.

Southwest has around 100 flights a day out of BNA. Vanderbilt....good health care.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've been living in east Cobb for 22 years and still like it here. I'm about midway between the Cumberland Mall and Town Center areas, so there is plenty of access to shopping. The new toll express lanes on I-75 have been quite handy and I've used them more often than I expected to. SunTrust Park is only 8 miles away and I've determined a way to get there by bus that only costs me (as a senior) $2 round-trip. And when I need to go to the airport, I drive to Dunwoody (using the back roads if during rush hour) and take the MARTA train. The only hassle is that my Ferrari mechanic is across town in Tucker and a trip to him is a 65 mile round trip!

And being north of Atlanta, a trip to the great mountain roads of north Georgia is fairly quick and easy.

18. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Can't go wrong in Nashville.

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Nashville is a happening place. North Georgia is good also. We moved from south Florida to Canton (on the very fringe of the metro) 6 years ago and don't regret it one bit. Much nicer people here compared to the general populace of Florida. We also built a mountain cabin that is only about 90 minutes from our home, so that is fun and convenient. Having mountains close by is a top priority for me as I love the hiking, rafting, and driving activities the area offers. I have to say that I don['t remember ever seeing any Ferraris on my roughly biweekly mountain drives over the past 6 years outside of the Coppa Alpina that the FCA puts on, or the yearly mountain trip that I join some old Florida friends on. It seems the Ferrari scene here is pretty much meeting for coffee or lunch, or the occasional track day. One good aspect of the metro Atlanta area is the access to Ferrari of Atlanta and their stellar team of people!

:)
    BT

20. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm glad I came across this thread. I'm pondering leaving LA and moving out East. Atlanta is my #1 option as of now. I have read the traffic is bad but coming from LA, it should still be an improvement.

21. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    We moved from Michigan to the Columbus, Ga area 6 years ago and will never go north again. The Columbus area isn't the best, but it's in a good location with Atlanta, Florida, and Birmingham all just a few hours drive. We were just up in Sandy Springs, Alparetta, and Cumming a few days ago....nice areas too..!