Considering a purchase of a California - known issues and resale questions? | FerrariChat

Considering a purchase of a California - known issues and resale questions?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by caliaddiction, Jul 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. caliaddiction

caliaddiction Rookie

Jul 16, 2018
    YOW
    Full Name:
    Lucas S.
    Hey guys,

Just a bit of back round. I currently own a 997.2 Turbo S and I'm considering a '11 California.

I've been searching and reading the forums about common know issues. I've seen the issue about the transmission sensor. Any other concerns I should be worries about?

Also, I wanted to get people's opinions of the future resale value of the car. I've been spoiled with my recent purchases with having very very little depreciation on my vehicles. I realize that no one has a crystal ball but has the car hit it's bottom?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The hard top is another potential high-$$$ repair worry that seems to crop up here on F-chat w/ some regularity. There's a thread on this just a couple below yours. From what I have read, it seems to be a combination of both mechanical and sensor issues.

I think the answer to the valuation question depends on how long you plan to use it and how much you plan to drive it. F-car owners in the US seem particularly mileage averse, and so once the odo starts clicking towards higher numbers, the potential re-sale pool of interested next-owners dwindles. The other thing I would read up on here is popular options since that will also impact resale ease/depreciation hit. Some things like shields, steering wheel LEDs, MagneRide suspension are considered by many to be must-have. I think an interesting question is how the first-gen Cali (the '11 you mentioned), which has been upgraded to 2nd gen (Cali 30) and then 3rd gen (Cali T), plus the 1st Portofinos - replacement model - are now being delivered, will impact future prices. I have not had enough interest in this issue to familiarize myself with F-chat thinking on the topic, as I am expecting/hoping that the trade-in value of a 20+K mile/8+ K year old Cali will be so low that my wife will relent in her "1 Ferrari only" rule! :D

Good luck in your search...T

azlin75 likes this.
  3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    It’s my opinion that these cars are going to depreshiate even more, especially once portofino start being delivered. The portofino has already been better accepted then the California ever was. I have a feeling the California will drop
    And could stay low for a while. Given that train of thought anyone interested in a California may want to get one early as if these get cheap enough there will be a lot of California’s with issues as more people that can’t maintain them purchase and more duds will be on the market.

That’s just my opinion I could be wrong could go the other direction too. But historically 2+2 Ferrari’s don’t hold value well.

tomc likes this.
  4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    When I was looking at them, the local service guys mentioned the tops as the most frequent issue, and the early ('10-11) transmissions. They said try to get '12 or newer if I could.

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I read mid 12 and newer. If you get a 13-14 you get less weight and more hp. I’m not sure about earlier but the 13-14 also can have the handling speciale package too

6. Marcus01

Marcus01 Rookie

Jun 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    The gap between the price of early Californias and the 30/T/Portofino will keep them fairly stable I think.

Here in the UK the floor is £90k at a dealer irrespective of age it seems. So i guess about £75 trade in.

7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    had the CaliT on the track @ COTA. I was shocked at how good it was. I have had a host of other cars (loads of Porsches) and was expecting the CaliT to be overly soft and GT. Nope. The car was stellar. No excessive understeer, nice controlled oversteer. After the event I had a new respect for the CaliT.
    We drove a Port (not on track) and feel the Port is worth the delta assuming the delta is less than $50k. It felt very similar to the CaliT just turned up by 20%. The Port felt more like what you would associate with the traditional Ferrari experience. We ordered one.