Considering An F512 M | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Considering An F512 M

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Rossocorsa1, Jan 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

HAHAH. I love opinions.

53ford likes this.
  2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Agreed.

I never bash anybody's pride and joy. Why crush someone's real dreams.

What does someone gain by doing just that.

It's odd, I think the F512M rims - simply rock. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

ag512bbi, AClark, Xtreme5053 and 3 others like this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    It’s not 25 years old yet and due to the EPA requirements it will need to go through an expensive conversion.

By the way it’s a car one needs to drive to appreciate! It’s quite a nice all around package!

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you have written:

Can’t import this car into the US.

now you say it is not even 25 years old and it will need EPA requirements what would be expensive conversion.

so as I see it you could import the car without any problem, but to register the car it could get problems? so you may import it now and wait until it is 25 years old and then register? here in germany this is possible without any problems. I know some people have brand new cars, never registered in their garages and only moved someitmes with a dealer plate. but don´t know how it is working in the US? may be someone could explain?

6. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    A primer into all the things to consider:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/~/importing-classic-or-antique-vehicles-%2F-cars-for-personal-use

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for this link.
    have read this and wonder: what has custom to do with car registration???

here in germany you can import all ( excluded military equipment and medical things -those only for own purpose is allowed- but those also with a special agreement from the government ).
    after you imported for example a car here you have to care about the registration, and if this would be not possible it is your fault that you imported the car without getting knoledge before if you could register the car or not. but you can drive this car then also but only when you have a dealer licences plate ( of course I have :) ) or a short time license plate.

the link says only something about importing for personal use. what about for professional use ( dealer or museum for never be registered ) ?

Capt. Rich likes this.
  8. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I do like the M, I think it looks great, including the wheels. And it is mechanically the ultimate version of the line.

But, if I were in the market for one I don't know if I could justify the premium over a 512TR.

Did you know that 512 TR wheels were an option on the M from the factory? I wonder how many people took that option.

Yes, the M is rare in the US, I think 75 only for North America but total worldwide I believe they made about 500. Once it hits the 25 year mark I think US prices may come down a bit.

cgt000 likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    There is no denying that many (most?) people find the design plain at best and appalling at worst.

The brainchild of the Mondial's design was Leonardo Fioravanti of Pininfarina, same designer of everything from the Dino to the F40. From the 288GTO to the Daytona. Also, one of the last few Ferrari Enzo Ferrari himself was directly involved with.

When the Mondial 8 first came out, it was an engineering feat. If you can name another production car in the history of the automobile that has four seats, is mid-engine (not rear engine like 911), and accommodated a full cabriolet variant - please name one. Being forced to meet Ferrari's requirements and keep the design with a traditionally Pininfarina aesthetic was quite the task!

There are modern-day equivalents of the reaction many had. The same comments you hear hurled at the Mondial mirror precisely those today you see thrown at the other 4 seat cars such as the Ferrari FF/Lusso or say the Porsche Panamera.

The Mondial's design, however, was not without its admirers, and at the very top of the auto industry.

John Davis, of Motorweek - the Emmy award-winning host of the 40-year show, pointed out that the original MR2 and Fiero were both directly influenced by the mid-rear side strakes, and were obvious derivatives of Fioravanti's basic design. Don't forget the Testarossa owes it's iconic 'cheese graters' to the Mondial, the first Ferrari to sport the cheese graters.

This fact lost as one reason the MR2 and Fiero were often called the "poor man's" Ferrari. This reality had a deleterious effect on the Mondial. If you are familiar with the fashion industry, it is haute couture design houses that introduce new radical trends and looks, that always eventually filter down to Target or Walmart. It always cracks me up when I see internet commentators point out that the Daytona looks like a "C4 Corvette" or the 412 looks like a "Prelude" - I laugh a little inside.

This fact did no favors on the Mondial's fortunes as the design looked further 'down market' as the 'look' became ubiquitous with the Fiero in the front lawn on blocks.

The early Mondial's fate was sealed when the 1980 EPA regulated variant (only represented 2% of the line) was the one furnished to the three automotive publications that provided lackluster performance.

For detractors of the Mondial's beauty (or lack thereof) - I invite a reexamination in person of a concurs quality example. While I doubt everyone will change their minds (and that's fine), I do believe given the history even in my club of Ferrarista, that many do come away with newfound appreciation after experiencing in person first hand one that is fully restored and detailed. Driving it usually seals the deal. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19633500GT and crinoid like this.
  10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Quick question.
    Are the headlight covers of the F512M Plastic or Glass?

11. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Glass. I hope you don't need one as I had to buy the entire headlight assembly when I needed one.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    A whole thread of opinions here

:)

There are definitely 'prettier' Ferrari over others. Truth be told though, I would be lying if I said I would turn away any of them at the right price. As far as aesthetics, again - really there is none out there that I consider 'ugly' (not counting secondary bespoke 'conversions') - some I do consider more 'plain' than others.

13. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

It is not bad looking. As a modern car it needs more power.

Years ago I tried to force feed my wife, a Mondial T

She did not want to deal with the manual transmission - even though she know's how to manipulate a manual.

paulchua likes this.
  14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    No I dont, I just have a clear bra on it and have to replace it.
    If it was plastic, it would be a bit riskier removing it.
    Thank you

15. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    A 512M in that custard yellow is pretty cool.

-F

16. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

That's great since I remember that it was hard to source a replacement back then. One aspect to consider when working on the glass cover is the somewhat weak attachment of the glass to the headlight assembly. Mine came off so easily that it was a miracle it had managed to stay on for so long. I checked the other side which was similarly weak, and had it re-affixed.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Funny how some would consider the F512M the dog of the Testarossa line, or even ugly in general. To me, it’s the only TR I would ever consider. I think it’s amazing, particularly the hood and front enhancements. The fact that they only produced 75 US cars is only a plus. Interesting how tastes differ.

cgt000 and ag512bbi like this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It’s the best iteration mechanically that’s the only thing we can all agree on;)

19. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We've refinished many 512 TR's but IIRC, only one M (just a couple weeks ago). The M has flags on the ashtray which the TR's did not. I'm pretty certain the client is the original owner of the car :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

sixcarbs, 53ford, INTMD8 and 2 others like this.
  20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Beautiful work

Dave rocks likes this.
  21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, Jeff. It was a fun project as the owner has 3 cars are we did this one and some 355 parts at the same time. He is now sending us the rest of the 355 parts and a 360. He is in his 80's and anxious for the weather to break so he can drive his cars - I sure know the feeling :)

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those flags are international signaling flags. Look them up and see what they represent.

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very little difference in them mechanically. On the US versions driven back to back the difference in performance is less than there is within the difference between 2 TR512s picked at random. There is a slight difference in state of tune of the non US M but knowing what it is it is doubtful it makes much difference.

Buy an M for its cosmetics and rarity, not its superior specifications.

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    GREAT point! Thank you

25. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I had an M for 5 years and still have the 512TR and in the 20k+ miles between the two cars, I could barely differentiate them from a driving experience perspective.