Considering Cancelling Lusso Order | FerrariChat

Considering Cancelling Lusso Order

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by 635CSI, Jun 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    We traded in my wife's Cali T in January on the promise of a May build slot Lusso.
    The idea was that we would have the car for summer.
    Since the start of May I have been looking on "My Ferrari"for the production photos.
    Nothing turned up, My dealer was unable to find anything out, Ferrari UK weren't answering his questions as Ferrari Spa weren't answering theirs. He said that this had happened before and cars had suddenly appeared, this fits with a anecdotal evidence on this thread.It was not to be though.
    More silence from the factory ensued until today when I was told that my car was one of about 30 (that for some unexplained reason) had been delayed and would now arrive in October !

I'm quite upset and feel we have been kept in the dark. A summer of Ferrari motoring has been lost.
    I am considering cancelling the order.
    Would welcome F'Chat community thoughts.

2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    You are understandably upset by the delay and lack of communication and I feel for you. The disappointment must be huge. A few questions and suggestions spring to mind.

1. What are you trying to achieve by cancelling? Would you buy something else instead and would you be able to get it in time for the summer? Or are you simply trying to give Ferrari a bloody nose and risk hurting yourself in the process?
    2. Given that the dealer took your Cali T in good faith, perhaps they should lend you a Cali T or Lusso T demonstrator for the summer in good faith?
    3. If neither of the above are options, perhaps you could consider doing something else this summer - can you find a silver lining in this particular cloud?

Good luck.

-CD-, Caeruleus11 and 635CSI like this.
  3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I really like @ANOpax 's comments, very well put. However know that in the Ferrari world this can occur, it kind of happened on my CaliTHS order that was supposed to arrive well in advance of a milestone b-day but was missed by 3 months due to delays never announced or explained to me. The nice silver lining you may get in all of this is a 2019 car versus 18... and the Lusso is amazing in all weather situations so I while I get the summer driving frustration the reality is that you can drive that beast all year around!

ANOpax and 635CSI like this.
  4. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    To be fair to the dealer they have offered me a car for a two week driving holiday on which I had planned to take my car. Ferrari have also made an offer that I am considering.
    Thanks for your considered and supportive comments. I’ll sleep on it.

Caeruleus11 and dustman like this.
  5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I wouldnt cancel it but would definitely make them make it up to you. Loaner for the 2 weeks as they offered and then maybe some extended warranty.

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This.

7. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think that is pretty fair from Ferrari/the dealer - two week loaner for a road trip with presumably high miles is a significant cost to them. My Lusso was a year delayed. I ordered it at the end of 2015, I think it went into Modis spring 2016, estimated delivery spring 2017. First delay was until October 17, then delayed again until March 18, finally arrived May 18. It was frustrating since I put the FF up for sale with the dealer end 17. I have other F cars but the FF/Lusso are great to use through winter and with the 4 seats I find them so easy to use generally and when not on road trips. I missed the FF heavily.

After two months of the Lusso (and 2,800 ‘normal’ miles) all that is forgotten. The car is just wonderful. So much better than the FF to drive, especially on the limit. It is not quite as much fun as a 488 on the limit but the compensations are that it has that V12 engine, seats 4 and is a little less shouty a shape. A little. It is a simply brilliant car and it gets under your skin. I wouldn’t be cancelling if I was you.

I remember being a little frustrated that UK supply of the later-launched Lusso T was coming through before my early ordered V12, plus the fact that in the US market, gauging by some of the posters on fchat, supply was much more plentiful. Quite why they seemed to starve the UK market of the V12 in favour of other products and other markets, I can’t say. I would be interested if anyone has a theory on that.

Caeruleus11 and ANOpax like this.
  8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I would probably cancel it. If you still want one you've just saved yourself 50-60,000 pounds.

Let's face it: Lussos are surely awesome to drive, but people are not lining up to buy them. There are already many available at nearly $100,000 off with nominal miles.

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd cancel it. No way I'd take delivery of a Ferrari going into Winter, especially one that heavily depreciates. You live in the UK, so it's not like you're covered in snow necessarily, but buying an exotic going into Winter is like buying a used Ferrari at full price. The losses start the moment you take delivery on these models, and if you can't use it a lot how you wanted right away, why get it?

Or just go buy a used one now and save yourself $50-100K. Why pay top dollar for an experience you didn't sign up for? You wanted the car in May, you wouldn't have ordered it if they told you October.

10. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    #10 ANOpax, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    That's a good point Mike, but it can be managed by simply registering it in the spring for the 2019 plate change and taking delivery at that point. But as many have pointed out here, the Lusso is a year-round car and if the OP wants to use it in winter and is planning on keeping it for a few years, a 6 month difference in registration date won't be the end of the world.

Oh, and one other thing - there are no V12 Lussos in the UK advertised for less than List (I haven't bothered to price the options so there will be some saving but the base spec car is 240k and the cheapest delivery miles car is 245k).

11. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    EFA - not even delivery miles - they're 2017 cars with 6-7,000 miles on them already.

12. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    UK demand for Lusso is still quite strong and used cars (if like the FF) will start to dry up come September time as people look for all season use Ferrari. I spoke to a few dealers recently and have watched the used market and good colours and specs are still selling with small discount from new cost.

I have an October build Lusso coming to the UK which will be a 2019 model year as it will be build after the factory summer closure. I have already told the dealer that if the car is delivered much later in the year I will wait for 2019 registration and they were happy to go along with that.

ANOpax likes this.
  13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Different market. You can’t get them easily in the UK for some reason. You can save a lot more than £50k. Don’t buy one at all. But then you don’t have a Lusso. If you plan to keep the car for a while the advantage of buying new and choosing your own spec is strong, especially here. The time a used Lusso will make most sense is when its replacement is about a year away and the car is £180k to £200k instead of £270k with options. That’s about two years from now.

It is also possible Lusso V12s are being restricted and maybe even not replaced?

stavura, FFantastic, ryalex and 2 others like this.
  14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That's interesting. Here the cheapest is only asking $265k with 2k miles. A handful under $300k. They're probably mostly planned trades for special edition qualification. Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ok guys, a few points to clarify.

Its a Lusso T not a V12.
    In terms of it being an all year car that's fine. In terms of English winters a Lusso T is more than sufficiently capable.
    In any case lets not turn this into a debate on the various merits of the two cars, I am conscious us T pilots are guesting on a V12 forum and that the bulk of opinion here will always favor the n/a motor.

Now, what are the factors making me hesitate on cancellation (apart from being less angry than yesterday)?

The dealer has indeed offered a Lusso T or a 488 Spyder for the driving holiday.
    They have also offered a car for the Goodwood revival weekend.

I think that's quite good.in terms of putting miles on and spending time in a Ferrari that's not yours.

Ferrari have offered, as compensation for the delay, a place on the Pilota sport driving course. That's an 8,300 Euro course.
    In itself that is slightly problematic though in that we traded in Mrs 635 CSI's Cali T for the Lusso T and thus she is heavily invested in this purchase.
    Currently I am asking if they can stretch to two places.
    They have also said we could take the course price as a discount, or a set of winter wheels/tires (see winter capability above).

So there is something on the table from both dealer and manufacturer.

More important to me though is that we are very spec specific, that means most of the cars that may come up on the second hand market wont do the trick.
    You would be amazed how hard it is to buy a used Ferrari in the UK if you don't want red, black or grey.
    We are buying this car with a 5 year ownership window, spec wise it's perfect for us, its not something that can be bought easily "off the shelf".

Finally it will now apparently be a 2019 model rather than a 2018, what ever difference that will make.

16. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

Do it.I think both dealer and Ferrari have been very fair.

17. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Judging by the stories i've heard in the past i think Ferrari (more likely Ferrari North Europe) are being more generous than they usually are in these situations.

I'd take the discount off the car and their offer of the loan car and when the car does finally arrive i think you'll feel happier. You never know, they may actually ramp up production and it might even turn up a month earlier than they are saying.

Out of interest what colour are you going for?

ANOpax likes this.
  18. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    What he said.

And while we're at it, can you share the spec with us? I'm always keen to see non black/red/white cars.

19. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It sounds like the dealer and Ferrari are doing all they can. I would say keep the order and 6 months into ownership this will be a distant memory and you will have one hell of a car....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Automoblog likes this.
  20. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Verde Zeltweg over Cuoio with alcantara. Daytona seats, carbon driving zone,pano roof, suspension lifter, sound system upgrade, aluminium rev counter, shields , aluminium brake calipers and lots more besides !

forzaredmist, -CD-, 350MH83 and 2 others like this.
  21. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Green over tan is not everyone's cup of tea (hence the sea of black/red/white) but I love it. Good for you (and your other half). You should definitely hang on in there, especially given how long you intend to keep it.

forzaredmist likes this.
  22. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yeah, feeling good about it again !

ajr550 and ANOpax like this.
  23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Great. Verde will be awesome. October will be here before you know. I would suggest taking 5 days off when the car arrives and take a trip to the south of France to celebrate and get some seat time with it in some of the best roads in the world.

Gullwing likes this.
  24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Given your logic it’s a no-brainier. The fact that Ferraris are difficult to get and not in massive supply is part of what makes them easy to own compared with other brands like Aston and McLaren.

25. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Take the offer from the dealer and F. Seems very fair. They don’t offer stuff like this for US do they? UK sales slow due to the exchange rate?