Considering Superamerica | FerrariChat

Considering Superamerica

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by KY _Soldier, Jan 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Greetings folks. I recently sold my 612 OTO and purchased an F12 which has been fantastic. I really want an open top F car and have been waffling between a Cali T and a Portofino, and even threw a 458 Spider in the mix. I would like to be around $200k, give or take (obviously less for a Cali) and suddenly realized the eclectic SA F1 could be in the mix. Ideally this would be just an open top cruiser for sunny days. I have always loved the V12s more than any V8, and I realize all of the options I just mentioned are all VERY different drives (except the Cali/Porto). Curious as to thoughts from those who have driven/own SAs as to pros/cons. My 612 OTO had the electrochromatic roof, so I know those can be finicky, but knock on wood I never had any issues with mine. Lastly, do you believe the market for SAs will stay at least somewhat flat, decline some in the future, or steadily increase? I know the SA seems to be the odd duck of open top F cars. Are they sought after, or is it more like an FF/Lusso where it's more polarizing and there just isn't a lot of demand for a pricey, (somewhat) outdated V12 that's a little more analog but not quite gated 6 speed analog.

gzachary likes this.
  2. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    I think you can expect the SA to be more stable in value or increase with the F-market while the FF/Lusso will suffer the fate of the other 2+2 (nice to drive but no strong demand).
    I was looking for a nice car but the problem with the roof ist realistic and really expensive.

KY _Soldier likes this.
  3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I just bought a 575, and it has exceeded my expectation on every dimension. I don’t have enough time in an F12 to opine on the comparison, but the 575 joins a 550 and 599.

In my opinion, Maranellos are special cars.
    • Small - groupthink about 550/575 being “big” is simply untrue, especially as context has changed with what we consider big 20 years later
    • Stunning - ace Pininfarina design that is getting better and better each year; timeless
    • Classic - one of 4 core models in the front engined, two seat, V12 GTB lineage: 275, Daytona, 550, 575 - and the Maranellos are certainly worthy of the category
    Not a comprehensive “love letter” to 550/575, but an extemporaneous musing of the characteristics that are emerging as new proof-points to further solidify their place in the illustrious Ferrari tapestry that is losing it’s luster to many with it’s current products. These are in addition to engaging and immense performance, reliability, and lasting sophistication.

I don’t think the same can be said of your other options. Of course the others have their own benefits that need to be weighed, but as a Maranello enthusiast, I see them as the one to have. Timelessness is the name of the long-term satisfaction game in my opinion.

4. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Agree with the comments about size, style and class/sophistication. Just balancing those against the creature comforts/lines on a 458 spider or Cali T in terms of usability and upkeep too. First world problems for sure.

5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Just keep in mind that the SA has a roof with a limited life and NO replacement parts. The electrochromic (darkens through electricity) top is prone to failure and cannot be fixed once it's dead. Cost for a new roof, if you could find one, is about $80k. When the roof delaminates (not if), then you are stuck with a car with a failed roof.

If you plan on keeping the car forever and don't care if the roof darkens or not, then groovy. If you want to just drive it a few years and recover your investment, a bit risky. Personally, I'd go with the much more common 458 Spider but that's just my risk averse nature.

6. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Gosh its a shame that we can't pay top dollar AND expect to count on the quality of what we're paying for. I don't mean to steer the discussion elsewhere but this is a sad truth. I mean...I'm guilty as anyone of tolerating this BS with 5 F-cars in the garage but this SA roof example is just ridiculously bad. I am annoyed when I read that I need to worry about the shocks leaking and screens failing on my 599 or 612, etc. but this SA roof is just crazy.

I would love a 575 SA but it just makes it hard to pull the trigger on one.

EastMemphis likes this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Many Superamericas, especially late ones, have no issue with the tops as long as the helper struts are renewed frequently. Finding one for $200K is problematic, though, since one in that price range is likely to have top issues. The SA requires cambelts every 5 years and has a clutch that needs to be renewed at some period. So if maintenance is an issue, the later (CA, 458) Ferraris with chains and DCT are likely to be less expensive, especially if you pick one with part of its 7 year free routine service remaining.

8. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    ralfabco, tomc and F456M like this.
  9. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Ideally this would be just an open top cruiser for sunny days ...

problem solved :) it sure is beautiful without the top !

F456M likes this.
  10. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I would have to agree with what the others have said on the SA roof big problem. A friend has two 575SA's and has had problems with both roofs and I gotta tell you when the roof suddenly comes crashing down your hoping it won't shatter, because it's quite a violent crash. It's a neat car but you would be better off in one of your others choices.

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Just thought I would have a look at some youtube video reviews on the 575 SA; I'm quite amazed to find there aren't really any. At least not from any of the car you tubers I recognise. Seems to be a forgotten car outside the F community?

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- Very expensive so the look at me crowd do not have too many.

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

Word! One thing I would add, is the rareness. Well they build a couple of them, but how other do you see them on the road?! In average, I see a 550/575 once every year. People are often looking and gives a thumbs up!

Qksilver likes this.