Continuation of 360 Oil Pressure issues... | FerrariChat

Continuation of 360 Oil Pressure issues...

Discussion in '360/430' started by ItalienCar, May 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    I’ve had a continuation of oil pressure issues on the car over the last 2000 miles of ownership, initially marked by low oil pressure at idle. This was corrected with an oil pressure pump replacement. Roughly 800 miles after this replacement, I started experiencing unsteady pressure reading on my dash gauge, where the needle would drop by up to 70% when accelerating while driving , then going back up and then ultimately flashing the red light while idling. I assumed the pressure sender unit was at fault and replaced that. Issue returned.
    I hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge, drove it around for an hour reaching high temperatures, pressure was fine for the exception of a very brief (1/3 of second) 10psi drop and the normal increase when accelerating while at cruising speed.
    Idle pressure was fine as well (upper teens).
    Looks like the sender is not providing the correct information to the dash or the latter is misreading data.
    Any ideas as to what could generate this inconsistency? Should I be concerned about the brief drop in pressure while accelerating under load?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Hmm interesting I had indications very similar to yours and they went away when I fixed the sender unit. Maybe you got a defective one?

3. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    I doubt that it would be the PSU, as the new one is exactly duplicating the behavior of the one it replaced.
    Is there any other potential communication failures between the PSU and the dash display?

4. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    What’s your oil level like? Mine seemed to go bad when the oil level was down close to the low mark soon after I got the car... because of overfill precaution it may have been on the low side and then I didn’t immediately realize they burn little bit and need to be checked every once in awhile... fully warmed up and running too of course which I’d never heard of before... it was a little bit of a learning curve for me.

5. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Oil level is about at 3/5th when hot, and it was changed recently about 300miles ago, so nice and still clear.

6. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have you checked to insure the engine is properly grounded?
    I recall an article about this on Fchat in the past. You might do a search.

7. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I had inconsistent oil pressure readings and it was a loose electrical connector in the dash. That fixed all was fine. I've also had OBDII readings that were bad due to a bad ground, a persistent issue with our aluminum frame cars. Again, once that was fixed, all was well.

Your problem, as you describe it, occurs only under load, however. That sounds less like electrical gremlins and more like a mechanical issue of some type.

8. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    I’ll look into the grounding approach, hoping it’s not mechanical.
    Thanks

9. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Update on this.
    I reinstalled the oil pressure sending unit. As the engine got warm, pressure readings again started being erratic, to the extent that they would drop down to the red light and eventually get stuck in that position. Replaced with the mechanical gauge and the readings are fine.
    This is definitely an electrical problem. The interesting thing is that even with the PSU wire disconnected, the instrument cluster gauge goes from max and drifts downward when accelerating and gets stuck in the red light position!
    These erratic reading mainly happen as the temperature goes up, which leads me to believe that there is some kind of signal integrity loss with high temperature.
    Does anyone know what kind of resistance I should be seeing in this wire ?
    Thanks!

10. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If I remember correctly, there is a thread about the oil pressure gauge itself can be defective and there was a fix for it. You'll need to do a search on the forums.