Cookware opinions? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Cookware opinions?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Jan 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    mmmmm bet they were all great.
    First thing I'll make in a DO will definitely be coq au vin.

Rosemary roasted potatoes are big with us as well. Fresh rosemary from the garden, OO and garlic then roast them crispy brown in a non-stick pan in the convection toaster oven. Damn the thought of that, and the incredible smells coming from the slow cooker are making me hungry!

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I guess we're going to disagree.

in my training and expereince once food meets hot oil, you dont want to break the sear / cooagulation of protien. cooking on high heat takes practice.... but its the way to go. seafood can get overcooked quickly so if you want a carmalized sear, you need fast high temp... carry over cooking will finish it.

the carmalization alows the natural juices to stay in the food item, which maintains flavor and tenderness.

it the scallops are very large, then you can finish in an oven. once you flip the scallop leave it alone till its done.

as for oil... its up to you to decide. I like olive oil / peanut combo .... ( filtered peanut )
    grape seed works fine too.

3. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    The advantage of the Dutch Oven is that you can brown and then simmer in the same pot. Just tossing raw stuff in the crock pot results in good texture but (to me) bland taste. All that discussion about tasty fond just doesn't exist in a crock pot unless you sear it off first in a different pan.

Thus far, I made a couple of dynamite pot roasts, my wife made a great beef daube provencal, I did beef bourguinon (sp?) following the traditional Julia Child recipe, and an old Italian dish that my great-grandmother used to make. I can't spell it- but it's pronounced "pear-ven-aah" and it consists of chicken and lots and lots of onions.

In my oven, a low setting (about 260 degrees) is about equivalent to the medium setting on a crock pot. The stab DO has a cover with little spikes integrated into it that allow evaporated moisture to collect and then drip back into the food, basting everything while it cooks. Oven is better than stovetop, as the heat comes from everywhere and isn't concentrated on the bottom of the cooker.

We're looking at 2 feet of snow coming tomorrow and Saturday- going to have to fire that baby up and cook something good!

JP

4. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    We can certainly disagree. Where's the fun in all out conformity?

I too saw things as you do for decades. But now that molecular gastronomy has hit a mass that can't be ignored, we're seeing both new takes on things that have staying power and some interesting research done in laboratories (searing, for example, does very little to seal in juices, which was the do all be all rule for pro and home cooks.)

Some of these new observations on basic technique work for me, some don't. I do use less heat on fish and seafood than I used to and no longer worship seafood fond, as I don't want the sear to dominate (a lot of subtlety goes out the window when we brown scallops, for example.) I will not trade off good eye appeal for smoothness when making ice cream, so liquid nitrogen into the custard is out in my book, even though it can make for interesting theater (the faster a custard is cooled the smoother the ice cream, and nothing does the job faster than liquid nitrogen.)

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

Went to WD40 Dufraines place... I must be getting old, I just did not really get it. I mean just becuse you can is not a reason you should.... I'm a classicist when it comes to cooking but I do get into sous vide. I think that is a technique that has a lot more potential combined with classic cooking ... molecular stuff i think is less about technique and more about show...

7. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I drive down Clinton 2-6 times a month, look into WD50 and go through this debate for about 40 minutes, ie, as long as it takes me to get to 14th Street . . . (a detour for a Chick cupcake helps.)

I agree with your thrust. We're learning a lot from molecular that can enhance classical, but I have no interest in taking my core much past a bow to neo-Nouvelle, let alone buying lasers that will smoke a vanilla bean into a Riedel Bordeaux glass so that we can play around with the bouquet of a $500 bottle of wine.

Great theater, something for "citizens" to do for a change of pace once in a while, but by virtue of it being all about undoing of fundamentals for the sake of undoing fundamentals, I find it draining (Monster Truck Rally v F1 at Monza.)

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Thats why i call it wd40...

9. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    #59 ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    D was on the episode of Chang's show that explored eggs.

At WD XX they make this cocunut flavored thing that, when poured, gels into something that looks like the white of a fried egg. So of course he puts a gelled/frozen yellow-orange thing made from carrots on top of that, the whole thing looking like a sunny side up egg. One the show, he served this on something like a brick, with part of the "white" running down the side.

A woman tasted this and walked out of the restaurant, conduct that's not unheard of at WD XX and the like. (The best way to upset anyone is to bluntly challenge his metaphysics.)

See number two:

ChuckEats » WD-50 (NY) ? Mad Scientist
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
  11. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Wife bought me some expensive copper stuff from France for my 7th anniversary (copper theme) ... At first I didn't care but then I used them ... OMG best cooking ever, especially with gas. The heat control and even-ness (is that a word?) is amazing. Sorry I don't know the brand but a single 6" fry pan is like 300 bucks. If you love to cook it's totally worth it.

12. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Any pics?

13. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Heres a pic
    Excuse the backsplash test tiles.
    I asked my wife the name is Mauviel professional.

I'm not one to polish I just cook lol:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    To clean the cooper, just spread some ketchup on it. Walk away for about twenty minutes, come back and wash it off. Yes, it is that easy, even on a Mauviel.

15. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Ketchup? Just another wonder use of the tomato

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    or a fresh lemon cut in 1/2 with salt :)

17. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thank you Ill try it.
    I did use the copper polish for 10 seconds and declared "NOPE! Patina it is!" And that was that. Lol

18. leading.edge

leading.edge Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    Langhorne, PA
    I have a full set of Tramontina. I purchased the set after taking a cooking class in New Orleans. The chef recommended Tramontina during the class. I did a bit of research and have had the set now for over a year. I absolutely LOVE it!

19. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    This just came in.

There's no easier way to make an exciting, flavorful dinner than using one of the recipes in this book. Boulud taps into all kinds of culinary traditions for inspiration. Some of the combos sound great. And his substitution chart makes it very easy to tap into the essence of one of his recipes without having to force kids into eating veal sweetbreads, pigs feel and the like.

Good buy!

(I do regret getting the paperback edition.)

20. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hate those pigs feel. :)

21. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #71 Nurburgringer, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    okok stop twisting my arm, I just ordered one! :)
    Hardcover, used, $10 shipped.

Stopped by our old neighborhood's semi-fancy supermarket downtown last night to pick up the 3 lbs of habenero brats we pre-ordered, and couldn't resist a 7lb pork butt on sale for $.99/lb so look forward to seeing what Mr. Baloud suggests for this.
    I'll probably buy a dutch oven this week. Considering 6 or 7.5qt Lodge or 7qt Tramontina, $50-$80.
    Worth $35 more for an extra 1.5qt? Hmmmm...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000N501BK/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_3?ie=UTF8&index=3

Also have a 5lb corned beef brisket brined up by my buddy for next weekend. He did his in a slow cooker (5 hrs low, 1 hr high). Any other success stories on cooking corned beef?

Tonight we're having friends and dogs over and the wife is making her grand mother's chicken and dumpling recipe (I'm in charge of the dumplings).
    Oh yeah!

22. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Just for the heck of it I stopped by All Clad's Amazon store, looking for a price on the Copper Core Dutch Oven:

DUTCH OVEN W/LID 5.5 QT - All-Clad

$450!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, S&H included . . .

23. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    #73 ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    I'd avoid the Lodge, unless you're certain you'll keep acid levels low and/or want to cook over and open fire (nothing like a great stew/braise by the fire at the end of a long day of hiking -- I guess . . .)

The size and shape of the pot you braise in is important, believe it or not. If you really get into cooking, and want stellar results for your efforts, time and $$$, you'll probably end up with more than one such pot.

24. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I was talking about the enamel-coated Lodges but yeah checked out a 6qt one at Target today and wasn't blown away. Would like a flatter bottom for more searing surface and some reviewers on amazon report chipping enamel after not too many uses. Like that it's made here and would surely be good for 100 or so tasty dishes.

Calphalon's seemed pretty nice with a lifetime warranty, but twice the price and made in China is a bit of a bummer.
    Le Creusets can be as pricy as that All Clad!

This 9qt Staub actually seems like a relatively good buy for $290, and buying a $60 one that starts chipping after a couple years would kinda suck but I'd always be thinking "I spent HOW MUCH on this thing?!"
    Staub Cocotte Round Cast Iron 9 Quart Matte Black New Dutch Oven France 30cm | eBay

Gotcha on the various sizes. One step at a time :)

25. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    So no $450 All Clad . . . how is that possible?

;)