Coolant Change Question | FerrariChat

Coolant Change Question

Discussion in '612/599' started by gsholz, Dec 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'm in the process to zero out the maintenance on my newly acquired 599. One item is to change the coolant. Pretty straightforward. Remove the two coolant hoses from the water pump to drain. To fill, the workshop manual shows to remove the bleeder hose from the top of the radiator. Why? The bleeder hose runs directly to the header tank, so should bleed the radiator just fine during filling. That hose has one of those single use clamps on it. I don't think it has ever been off.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Changed the coolant. For anyone who is interested, there is no need to take off the bleed hose from the radiator. Just leave some space for the air to escape when you place the funnel in the header tank to refill. Once you have the front undercover off (29 screws), changing the oil and the coolant is straightforward. With a Quicklift you'll have to lower the car again to get the undercover out. Kind of a two-step process.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    While you don't have to remove the coolant bleed hose, the fact that the one time use clamp is on there means it's original and probably on its way out. It's either cracking or swelling up inside. It would benefit you to actually change that hose, and use a regular hose clamp on it.