Coolant Hose Help! | FerrariChat

Coolant Hose Help!

Discussion in '308/328' started by manta147, Jun 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. manta147

manta147 Karting

Sep 7, 2006
    seekonk,mass
    Full Name:
    carter petter
    Hey Guys,
    Getting very frustrated....need to know if there's a trick to this....been fighting it for the last 4hrs..Replacing the front coolant lines on a '82 308 2v.Working on the short lines that come out of the tunnel upfront,one on top the other that connect to the tubes that run up to the radiator.They are literally right on top of each other.I can get the top hose on,but then there's no room to put the clamp on the bottom hose and vice versa.They are right on top of each other,and there's just enough clearance for the hose....no room for the clamp to slide in! Can't believe this is hanging me up....what am I missing?When I took the old hoses off,it was tight but there was just enough clearance to slide the bottom hose off before I undid the top one.I'm using the correct size hose from Ricambi so that's not the issue.
    Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.
    Carter

2. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Pic please ?

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    They should not be so tight like that. Something that you cannot see is binding them together. Loosen that, or cut that off.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Did you loosen the clamp holding the 2 tubes tight together?

5. manta147

manta147 Karting

Sep 7, 2006
    seekonk,mass
    Full Name:
    carter petter
    Thanks for the reply Brian.Yes,I did loosen the clamp,but didn't take it off.After I loosened it,the connecting pipes didn't budge.Ideas?

6. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    When I replaced my hoses, there was a rubber tube about 1 inch wide on each tube. It was about 2 inches in. It appeared to be cushioning for the tube so it does not contact the central oval tube directly. The oval tube should allow some play for both tubes. I'd have a look down inside the tube.

7. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #7 GordonC, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #8 robertgarven, Jun 17, 2015
  9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That pet cock is not stock. Shame on you Robert. -2 points.

10. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Damn! Harsh ;)

11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I remember when I first got my car a friend a famous mechanic put the car up on a lift and just pulled the hose off and coolant went everywhere. He said that was normal, that is about the same time I started working on it myself! I can do it now without a drop spilt! It is safely covered from judges peering eyes! HA

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You still have to drain the block, and that goes everywhere.

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I hate when the end of hoses blunderbust out like Robert's picture. Is that a hose that does not fit snug on the pipe or too easy to slide on? That hose looks brand new. When old hoses do that it is time to replace them. Maybe another job for thermo plastic hose clamps?

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    that is just the hose fitting over the ridge at the end of the pipe. The uber expensive silicon hose is just a tad bigger than the tube. My go-to hose is the yellow stripe which fits tight and last just about forever.

15. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Damn.

Every time I see a pic of Dave's hoses they look better and better. Just the little details.

Lester

16. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Details? On a cooling hose??? Please explain so i see It too.

I bought my hoses at superformance for i think 1/5 of the cost. Thats for me a Nice detail. A cooling water hose is just....... A cooling water hose.

17. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    You bet.

Look at the cross section to the right:

First you notice that it isn't just one material,
    Second you notice that there are at least two reinforced layers (Blue with white cord)
    Third judging by the cut edges and the lack of similarity in the cord it appears to run 90 to each other for better strength and flexibility (Totally my guess)
    Fourth the innermost layer looks to be exceptionally smooth (CS again) and almost sticky to keep it on the pipes and flow well
    Fifth printed with "Coolant" so that there is no guess as to what goes in it

And all that from looking at a tiny oblique cross section.

I am certain that there are reasons that there are different manufacturers of coolant hoses and that the cost is not generally what causes me to pick a particular component. Why did you go with Superformance and not Autozone? Autozone sells coolant hoses too and likely cheaper than Superformance.

Quality or cost, pick only one.

18. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I am with St@ven on this one.
    I have no doubt the SR products are marvellous but why a Ferrari needs better quality hoses than any other vehicle is beyond me.

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I know it is superior... but I have a habit of saving my hand and simply cut the hoses off when I drop the engine. For that, I am not putting in $500 hose kits. Sorry.

20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    He also had scientists from Gates who are near him design the hoses. I think it appears flared as maybe my clamp is too tight I only use a handful and those are the best AWAB SS hoses clamps I think in the world. I have had not one leak since I put ALL of Daves hoses on they were not cheap but neither is quality.

I also use a small funnel and tube and have perfected no leak from the engine petcock will post a photo later.

21. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #21 andyww, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    +1

I replaced all mine with standard nitrile. I will be dead and gone by the time they need replacing again. I keep a stock of all sizes of hose including the ones pictured, in 1m lengths and cut off pieces to length as required using a hose cutter. That way you can cut slightly longer or shorter than original if you need to.

Lettering on the hose saying "coolant" I think I would find somewhat embarrassing if anyone saw it.

Edit: In Roberts picture above there seems to be something wrong with the fit of the hose, it looks like its too soft and has flared itself out owing to the compression of the clamp. If I had hoses that did that I would send them back. Rainwater will get trapped in the gap and rot the pipe.

Apart from that, it looks shoddy. The hose should be a snug fit on the pipe.

22. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #22 robertgarven, Jun 18, 2015
    Friends,

All that matters is if you are happy! To me I knew Dave was making state of the art hose not just for cooling but for fuel. I can tell you several reasons his hoses are better. The fuel neck filler hose is very hard to replace as the original is very stiff and I even broke my fiberglass filler neck removing it once! Dave's slid on like a charm as it was more flexible and safe for the ethanol fuel we have here. Same with a bunch of the coolant hoses. This thread started with a DIYer thing to get a hose off. Dave are twice as flexible as the original very hard OEM ones and in several places like the lower valley WP hose, the radiator to pipe, it made the job much easier as I have replaced all these several times in 20 years. Also the other fuel ones like the lower crossover can be a chore and these just slipped on. Dave made these because he could not get the quality he wanted especially for the high power cars like F40's etc he worked on, and like I mentioned before his shop is near a Gates facility and he had hose engineers design these from the inside out. I alway swore that I would never scrimp on the Ferrari and even though these were more expensive than any alternative I did not even have to think twice about it. Will other hoses work sure, but the design and execution of these made me proud to have been a customer.

It never rains here and I have never drive in the rain and only got wet a few times on accident so I am not worried about any extra water on the pipes. Once again I like the fact that these are more flexible than the rock hard OEM ones I used before. I am trying to think which side that is on but these connection are difficult. On one side there is only a small space between the pipe and the alternator so you have to be precise. I may have the clamp on too tight or should have put the clamp closer to the edge but trust me these are 40mm hoses and you can find no better ones on earth. I used to buy the OEM Ferrari rubber braided looking 40 mm hose and it was so stiff it was hard to cut and install. These were much easier and I understand all your concerns but I will probably buy new ones in about five years and change them out again!

I think the Ferrari is more than any other vehicle (at least to me) and it deserves the best I can give it!

Rob

P.s. Here are some pics of what the front drain was like before the added petcock and here is the picture of how I place a funnel under the engine petcock and it drains to a container with no spills. I apologize the engine is dirty there that was 10 years ago and its cleaner now!

And the last picture is of the correct OEM Ferrari hose and if you look close it is flared out more than the newer hose I posted. I am not a strongman and use the special screwdriver AWAB tool to tighten the hose clamps and never thought I put too much pressure on. In the winter the front would leak when it got cold and the aluminum would contract however with the new hoses I have not had one drop and its been a few years now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    In the last, almost twenty years I have my car I tried all kind of coolant hoses and they all flared out at the ends.
    If they don't, I would suspect, that they are too tight, what's not good as well. the OEM stuff is metric size and flares out. I could imagine, that some of you use imperial size, which is on the tighter side.
    At the moment I have high quality truck supply hoses in my car. Remember; trucks suffer much harder use than our cars, so I think I'm fine.
    I don't think, that rainwater could rot the aluminium hoses at the flared hose ends. I think, that any rainwater, which entered the hose ends would evaporate quicker than the hoses cool down.
    Anyway; I had a lot of longer drives through sometimes heavy rain and my pipe ends are in perfect condition.

But some Ferrari owners I know, tend to wash their car after a longer drive. And park it in their garage immediately after washing.
    Especially bad for the brakes.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Martin,

Good to hear from you. All that matters is that whatever we do to our Ferraris works. BTW I never wash my car with a hose just 3 small buckets! HA good thing as we are out of water here!

Rob
    Greetings from Dry California! :)