Coolant Hose Replacement | FerrariChat

Coolant Hose Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Glassman, Sep 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I am in the process of replacing all coolant hose. I am using Napa Gates hose and it goes on very tight. Is there any way to lubricate the hose so that you can adjust the fit easier, and not risk leaks or slipping?
    The problem areas are under the car front and back where the pipes come through the undercarrige and skid plate.

2. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I think most people use a bit of spray silicone. I use a bit of Vaselline.

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Thanks, I guess thats pretty obvious. I was afraid that silicone would let the hose slip even when clamped. maybe a little over thinking the problem on my part?

4. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    WD isn't that much of a lubricant to cause a problem...

I've always been partial to hair spray for that purpose, though!

5. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I always heat the end of the hose in hot water.

6. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai

I am sure that with Vaselline it would work fine. Some people believe, however, that the petroleum based stuff could deteriorated the hose prematurely. But in either case (silicone - Vaselline) I would not think that after clamping the hose there would be any problems.

Warming the end should work well also but it may make it a little more difficult to take the hose apart later.

7. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Since I was also unable to get 1.5 " NAPA Gold Stripe hose on in some tight areas. I used 1 5/8" , which is only a fraction of a mm larger 40mm . It works fine and slips on a lot easier.

8. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I lube the hose with a little film of white lithium grease, or just undiluted coolant. Try and avoid petroleum products.

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Have found significant corrosion & deep pitting in the Aluminum hose connections on a '59 ALFA. Believe that the 'stagnant' coolant that weeps between the hose and Aluminum is the cause. Am now using white lithium grease on hose ends as a preventative measure. In theory, the petroleum product will minimize weepage and also help prevent future corrrosion. Applied only to the male end, little if any should make its way into the coolant.
    Rgds,
    Vince

10. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    I am concerned with the petrol issue on the hose as well, s I use a mixture of 50/50 Dish soap and water, slides right on, excess washes off, and no worries.
    HTH!
    Kermit

11. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I agree. That's how I was taught to do it and it's always worked for me. Soap and water. If the hose is being problematic, then soak it in very hot water, which tends to ease it a bit, then soap and water around the mouth and it will slide right on and can be turned to proper orientation, if it's a formed hose.

12. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Easiest way I found to push tight hoses on is with a little soap and water. I keep a small dispenser of hand soap in the garage just for that use. Squirt a little soap on your finger tip, a drop of water and lube the inside of the hose. It will slip right on and will completely evaporate in no time. No fuss no mess!

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I used soap & water until 10 or so years ago, then switched to Radio Shack's TEFLON lube gel.

Slipperier than soap, & chemically very inert. Doesn't react with rubbers or silicones. Seems to exclude moisture from the area as well, but haven't really verified it keeps the joint from corroding. Also, seems to help keep hoses from sticking onto the nipples when removing them after a few years.

Have dunked excessively tight hoses in boiling water for a few minuites & they generally slipped right on.

Would not use petroleum jelly or any other petroleum based lube for a coolant line. They aren't designed to take long term exposure to it.

Oh, yes, in a pinch, just spit on it. ;^)

14. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Verell, great suggestion on the Teflon lube. I've always used the soap and water trick, but the idea of being able to get the hose OFF easily some years later is a nice advantage.