Coolant Leak - Transmission Side | FerrariChat

Coolant Leak - Transmission Side

Discussion in '308/328' started by gte619n, Sep 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Hey guys,

I've been refreshing the car and came out to the garage to find a weird coolant puddle under the car. It's a little weird in that it's over on the transmission side of the motor, not the water pump side. It's a little tight in there, but I'm having some issue tracking it down.

This hose on top looks like it has a little crack in it, but I'm pretty sure it's an oil line?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The puddle looks to be below this area.

Looking at the parts diagram, I'm having trouble locating this pipe on either diagram!

Sorry for the easy question but I'm a little confused about this one!

2. Cennzo

Cennzo Karting

Jan 29, 2020
    Sausalito CA
    Full Name:
    Vince Dattoli
    Hi there,
    I just experienced this recently. This is the hose that goes to the heater, so you won't find it listed in the mechanical diagrams. Look in the index for Coachwork parts under heating system. This hose goes all the way to the front of the car and it's a bear to get to. It usually cracks where it connects to the block. The fix is to disconnect it from the block, take out the left wheel well, and find a place under the car where you can cut the hose and put a coupling, and add a new piece of hose from there to the block. It's a pretty time intensive repair because of everything you have to take out of the way, but actually a pretty simple to fix. Hope this helps!

3. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
  4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    That is a oil drain back hose

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    That's an oil breather hose (not your problem). There is another hose about that size that comes off the LH side of the 1-4 cylinder head that is the hot coolant source for the heater.

It connects to nipple 11 in this diagram:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/308-gtb-gts-usa/005-cylinder-head-(right)

See the photos in post #2 of this thread (it happens to be a 308QV, but your 308 carb has the same nipple/hose):

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/unknown-hose-cant-find-in-diagram.636698

absostone likes this.
  6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #6 thorn, Sep 18, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    This is a coolant tube (the aluminum one). Look below the distributor caps. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Be sure you don't have coolant dripping down that tube into places to make it look like it's coming from somewhere else... I chased that a few years ago for a couple of weeks before I figured out where the leak actually was.

tuttebenne likes this.
  7. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Could be the nipple for the heater hose from bank #1....