Coolant Temperature in Cold Weather | FerrariChat

Coolant Temperature in Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Threeofnine, Dec 24, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Threeofnine

Threeofnine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    It’s been unusually cold this winter in Alabama. Daily highs have been in the 40s and lows in the 20s most of the last couple weeks. Highs in the teens and lows in the single digits the last two days (I’ve not driven the car in these conditions).

I’ve noticed on particularly cold days the needle on the coolant temperature gauge is running 2-3 notches under 195 when cruising on the highway at speeds between 40-60mph. Is this normal or is my thermostat possibly not functioning properly? I remember reading somewhere that the radiator fans will not activate correctly if the thermostat is stuck, any truth to this? Both fans come on once the needle exceeds 195 so they appear to be functioning normally.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd say normalish (at least mine has done the similar thing over the three sets of thermostats that I've had in those conditions - cold ambient, gentle constant-speed cruising). Thermostats aren't digital on-off devices (the OM indicates that they could start to open at 176 deg F -- which is about where your gauge is), and the TR powerplant has a lot of surface area exposed to cold airflow (unlike modern cars with more undertray covering), plus, with no oil thermostat, the oil cooling system is always "on" if the coachwork is moving (I was seriously considering adding an oil thermostat when I was living in CO, but then moved to TX ;)). Does your coolant temp come up closer to 195 deg F fairly quickly if you go stationary in those conditions?

Threeofnine, turbo-joe and V4NG0 like this.
  3. Threeofnine

Threeofnine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Yes it does, and it stays close to 195 when doing any type of city driving, only dropping back down after a few minutes of steady cruising. Thanks for the reply!

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Sounds A-OK. I think F was a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place, and needed to have a lot of outside airflow in the engine bay to account for the heat from the precats/cats in hot conditions and just had to accept that in very cool conditions and light cruising it would run a little coolish.

Threeofnine likes this.
  5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Different car, however, my Boxer runs at 90 C , 194 F, regardless of the outside temperatures. The fans cycle on more frequently in the hotter weather, but maintain 90 consistently.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    your boxer is a BBi and has the fans behind the radiator. not like the BB in front of. since I put on my BB the fans behind the radiator I never have problems with getting to warm. before often this happened when going uphill fast in 1st and 2nd on a very curvy road where I could not get fast.