Cooling enhancement | FerrariChat

Cooling enhancement

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by raemin, Oct 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Driving the car in the Alps has been quite demanding on the engine and the gearbox. Better cooling was on my wish list for quite some time.

I kind of like the look of the front mounted fans. The yellow ASTI fan is weak and cheap (was used in Renault low cost vans). So this is this the one that had to go.

A 12'' fan is the biggest we could cram in the engine bay. I did not want a SPAL fan with "modern" (curved) blades: straight blades are a bit nosier but do provide more airflow. Straight blades do look much more period correct.1850cfm.

The gearbox radiator was replaced by a larger Hayden (plus bigger oil pan). The bypass had to go as there is a Stewart Component inline cooling pump on the bottom. More on that later.

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    What is make and model of the fan you used behind radiator? Max. depth?
    Ken

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Mishimoto 12'' Heavy Duty (https://www.mishimoto.eu/race-line-high-flow-fan-12.html#features).
    Prop diameter : 12''
    Outside diameter : 13'' , depth : 3.9''
    Nominal Current : 12.8A (still acceptable for the Bosh relay that takes care of it together with the front RH fan).

The Heavy Duty does fit with a bit of persuasion: had to move the oil radiator 1cm further on the right. They have an extra-slim variant that would be an easier fit, but it is almost 50% less powerful (1150cfm). As said, I also prefer the old-school look (the slim fan does not look good to me).

Il Tifoso and dedo tanzi like this.
  4. dedo tanzi

dedo tanzi Karting

Dec 16, 2013
    Lugano - SUISSE
    Full Name:
    DEDO - Alfredo
    Ottimo lavoro .... io mi sono "limitato" a sostituire le 2 ventole, nuove da EUROSPARES
    Finora tutto ok ...:)

nounou likes this.
  5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I've already refurbished the Lucas Fans... See my old post on the subject ( https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/lucas-cooling-fan.586356/ ) : these fans are easy to source or fix or replace by more powerful units (pick whichever solution you prefer...).

If you are only relying on these two fans, I would suggest at least to put new brushes and adjust timing (slightly unscrew the motor endbell and tilt as much as you can the endbell on the opposite direction of the rotation). I would even consider a DeTomaso Pantera fan shroud (see Pantera diagram here : http://www.pim.net/11.1pim.html). These are cheap and easy upgrade on a stock setup.

On his 400GT, my brother is probably going to retrofit the yellow fan from a 400i. This upgrades cooling to three fans instead of two, based on "stock" Ferrari parts.

dedo tanzi likes this.
  6. dedo tanzi

dedo tanzi Karting

Dec 16, 2013
    Lugano - SUISSE
    Full Name:
    DEDO - Alfredo
    Hai fatto un grande lavoro...:)

7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    So, no thermostat, just relying on the EWP controller?

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Worse... No controller at all. My pump is a Stewart Component, that's quite a different design than EWP when the pump does not operate, the coolant can freely flow around the propeller. So unlike the EWP it does not restrict the flow when switched off.

At the end of the day whether it is ON or OFF the mechanical pump will still operate and (over)cool the engine. We will see how the engine temp rises without thermostat and if it is way out of spec I will have to find another solution. Will send an update once I've started the engine...

For now I am missing the spring and tap of the oil pressure relief valve so stuck for another 2 weeks.

dedo tanzi likes this.
  9. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Interesting - it'll take a long time to warm up! I think you'll have to engineer a thermostat somehow...

10. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    From memory I'm sure a Jag V12 thermostat was pretty similar

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #11 raemin, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    That's quite a big pump actually. So it requires a bit of space and given the heavy weight (2kg) it has to be secured on the frame. I really like the specifications of the pump though: its is much more powerful than the DaviesCraig (220l/minute) and the inline design makes integration a bit cleaner.

We have removed the 3way pipe (ref 30, yellow highlight) and replaced it by the pump which is basically the same length. Also added a bracket which has been bolted on the frame parallel to the anti-sway bar.

The best solution would be a 3 way hose placed between the pump and the radiator. It is not as easy as it seems since there is a slight bent, the radiator outlet is 44mm, the pump inlet is 48mm and the bypass is approx 30mm. So it will have to be custom made. The design of the hose between the pump and engine also has to be revised as there is probably not enough flex. Black hose and period correct electrical connectors would be a plus.

For now as you said it will take quite some time to warm up the engine.

12. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    You may need to upgrade your alternator(s) o handle the extra electrical load. I had to upgrade one alternator to handle the stock load including 3 cooling fans. Problems only occurred with lights and wipers on as well.
    Ken

raemin likes this.
  13. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Let me jump in. I had a post, hot to dam hot (365gt4 with a 400i replacement motor). After several months of several while you are at it issues leading to replacing all hoses, belts, oil lines, re-taping a pulled stud and having the radiator boiled out and flow tested (6 months of fun in my garage). I put everything back together and it still was running to hot for my liking (100 Celsius). I dropped off the Ferrari at Berlinetta Motocars Ltd near my house in Huntington NY. After consulting and testing a few items (30 minutes) it was determined that the 2 fans installed in 1980 were not strong enough to pushed enough air thought the radiator to cool the car correctly. The solution was installing 2 fans off a Mercedes with triple the power and CFM along with a custom shroud and two 50 amp replays. So far so good. Have not tested the Ferrari in 100 degree (Fahrenheit) but the temp never goes over 90 degrees Celsius and the fan shut off when under power. Good luck with your project and make sure you are pushing or pulling enough air.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Choptop
    What is the rating of your alternator(s). The amp load for those Merc fans may drain your battery. Mercedes generally have HIGH amp alternators.

The shroud looks very nice but it means you are greatly restricting the natural flow of air thru radiator when car is at speed. Air must go thru the fans running or not.
    Ken

raemin likes this.
  15. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I had a closer look at the setup on the other thread. The shroud is only on the bottom of the radiator. I presume that when his car was converted from 365 to 400, they also imported the radiator that protrude below the spoiler. On the 400 no issue as the new spoiler has a protrusion, but if he still has the stock spoiler the radiator could be exposed to road debris, so this shroud is basically protecting the radiator instead of the 400 spoiler. Got to agree though that this is restricting the airflow hence my recommendation to use flaps.

As far as consumption is concerned, the efficiency of these fans is higher than the lucas, so although instantaneous consumption is higher, in the long run they do provide the same amount of cooling while absorbing less electrons (in other words I would expect these to not operate continuously unlike the Lucas).

I would however check that the fans relays are connected on the alternator positive post (the one that is bolted on the left fender, next to the steering pump), and not directly to the battery as this would bypass the ammeter. On the contrary Choptop would not realize his fans are depleting the battery. Given the "Mercedes setup", an accurate ammeter reading is mandatory!

360modena2003 likes this.
  16. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Here are the latest findings and updates to my setup:

First : we should follow the 365 owner manual coolant recommendation as despite all my modifications I could not lower the temperature below 110°C with Motul 50/50 premix (my Alpine road is extremely hard on the engine). The 365 OM does recommend 20% Glycol (3.5liters). In order to stop spreading toxic coolant everywhere, I've switched to 100% distilled water and Mocool (Motul's equivalent to Redline's water wetter). The temperature drops to 90°C! (same road, same coolant brand, just removed all the glycol).

Second : I've modified my overflow tank so as to limit spillover. The factory setup is troublesome as coolant that gets into the expansion tank is trapped and cannot get back into the system. This is extremely annoying as my road is so steep that when going down-hill in a right turn, coolant flows in the expansion tank! I consequently made a coolant pickup out of an 25cm long 8mm diameter aluminium tube. The diameter was reduced down to 7.5mm on a lathe in order to be slipped inside the expansion tank inlet and reach the bottom of the tank. This pickup allows to suck back the coolant to the radiator when the coolant is not expanding anymore (i.e cooling down).

Third : I've bought a new radiator cap. CALORSTAT/Vernet reference RC0153 is the European equivalent to the Stant product people use in the US. I've tried the version rated for 1.1bar without spring on the valve. The 1.1 bar allows to reach 110°C without spilling coolant everywhere. The free floating valve allows to suck back coolant from the expansion tank to the radiator.

17. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I can confirm the significant variation between using 50/50 glycol/water and only water.

The thermal capacity (ability to absorb heat) of water is much higher than glycol, around double; 4.18 J/g/°C for water and approximately half of that for glycoI.

I had the exact same problem with my 1980s 944/928 Porsche in hot climates, after running only water, the temperature would drop immediately.

18. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    The results of the change to pure water are quite amazing. Living in a cold climate, I would not go below 20% glycol but going 50% to 20% should be worth 5-10 C.
    Ken