Copper head gasket advice? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Copper head gasket advice?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RayJohns, Jan 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    I did a cylinder head rebuild because of some bent valves, with new factory head gasket 6 or 7 years ago, on my Toyota Tacoma with a stock 2.7L 4 cyl. Haven't touched it since. Not a big deal.

2. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You da man Ray... Looking really good!

Cheers!

RayJohns likes this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 2.7 liter in your truck is the motor I want to turbocharge and drop into my 1990 Pickup. It's the 3RZ and is supposed to be very good. They also have a 2RZ version without the internal balance shafts that revs a little higher if I'm not mistaken. Great motor though!

What sort of gas mileage do you see on your Tacoma?

Ray

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks!

Yeah I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along. I'll know more soon, once I get the cylinder head into the mix.

Ray

5. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Fuel mileage is not great. It gets decent mileage on the highway if you keep it at 60 mph. I regret not getting the V6. I would prefer the additional power vs a slight loss in fuel mileage. Actually not very impressed with the engine but is reliable.

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Have you see the turbo charged versions that people have done? You can pump 300-400 HP through the stock bottom end as far as I know. I'm planning on building that motor. It's way better than the V6 in a lot of ways.

Ray

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  8. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    My Toyota Tacoma is a shop truck. It does not need 300 to 400 hp. I can put a corvette motor in it too, if I wanted. I have other fast cars if I want a thrill besides the Tacoma handles terribly. For a shop truck it has been perfect.

RayJohns likes this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Finally finished hand scraping the block. I learned a lot and it actually turned out really nice. Here are a couple of videos in case anyone was curious of the outcome. I opted to use a Fel-Pro PermaTorque head gasket (non-MLS version), as opposed to attempting to use the SCE copper ICS gasket (although it was tempting!)

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Hi Beetle - I contacted the Three bond company and have been talking with them. Would you mind checking the tube of what you use and confirm for me that it's 1184? I noticed they have a few different versions that people tend to like for head gasket stuff.

Ray