Correct jack stand points | FerrariChat

Correct jack stand points

Discussion in '360/430' started by Texasrecurve, Nov 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texasrecurve

Texasrecurve Karting

Oct 15, 2006
    Graham, Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney D. Mitchell
    I have a 2005 430 and know where the correct jack points are from reading the manual. However I need to take both front wheels off and need to know a safe place to put a jack stand when I move the jack to the other side. Hope this makes sense, thanks.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I use 2
    I use 2 low profile trolley jacks at the same time, rather than using stands. I am not sure there are any other hard points than those behind the wheels.

3. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Get some low profile scissors jacks. They double as jack stands when raised and you can use a cordless drill to wind them up fast.

Dale

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The scissor jack from my rav 4 will fit my 430, should be cheap from the local scrap yard

whatheheck likes this.
  5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Was looking at the Jackpoint Jackstands. Great idea but they have been out of stock for over 5 months now. Kind of given up on that company. too bad.

6. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    I bought a mobile lift system, quickjack. I will never go back to jackstands!

7. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    chnco----do you have pics of your car on the QJ? do you have to 'pre-jack' it to get under-panals off first, or can you lift with QJ once and get to panels, etc?

I went through a long process with Bendpak on my QJ for my old 993 porsche. They were great and actually redesigned the 5000 to fit under those cars.

Would love to know details of use on 430.

Thanks,

-mark

8. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Which model, and do you need wood planks to drive up on, or can you just drive right over it??

Dale

9. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    I have the BL-5000SLX. No need to “pre-jack” the car, it can lift directly. My car is on stock ride height with aftermarket wheels.

The system was not made to be driven over, you put the car in place and the slide it under.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I had a look at their web site, its a clever system

11. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    I’ll take a pic next time I have it up in the air

12. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If it's like the 360 you can use some more modern jack stands with a floor jack. You position the jack more outboard in that contact area and there is room to slide in a jackstand between the front wheels of the floor jack and make contact where you need to. I have these and they work fine. The contact area is defined with a "kidney bean" type shape of thick aluminum that defines the inner corner of the wheel well. I am a fan of a hockey puck on top of any jacks or stands. You can order all of it from amazon. Get a few extra hockey pucks to use as spacers, etc! Make sure your low-profile floor jack has two wheels and an axle up front, not the one roller wheel forward type and you slide the stand under the front area of the jack between the wheels ;-)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Hockey pucks and scissor jacks are all you need. Get jacks you can use a drill on and it's easy peasy. I have a floor jack I never use anymore.

whatheheck and BlacktopRacing like this.
  14. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Heh, there seems to be an echo in here. :)

Dale

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    What scissor jacks do you use and how do you attach the manual jack crank handle to a power hammer drill?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    What year is your RAV 4 that fits the F430 jack points so I can source one locally?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    whatheheck likes this.
  18. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Here's what I do without any fancy stuff, just my regular floor jack.

1. Jack from the rear jack point on one side high enough that jack stands will fit the front jack point.
    2. Release the jack from the rear after securing the front with a jack stand.
    3. Repeat the steps for the other side.

Done, both front is up on stands. :cool:

whatheheck likes this.
  19. Texasrecurve

Texasrecurve Karting

Oct 15, 2006
    Graham, Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney D. Mitchell
    Drestless.....an easy solution. That and the scissor jack idea. Thanks everyone.

20. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    If you need to remove all FOUR wheels, you can use Drestless' method above, but you will need TWO jacks, one for each side on the rear. On my (old-style) jack-stands I removed the top piece (cradle), as the clearance was very low. When positioning the jack-stands at the front, be very careful when lowering the car to make sure you're sitting as centered as possible on the top of the jack-stand. I put wood chocks under the floor-jacks' arms, in case they were to have a slow leak and lower over time. My 4 wheels will be off the car for about two weeks while they are being refinished. I did not need the hockey puck- my floor jacks both fit into the circular indentation at the rear, but it is a close fit. Hockey pucks would be helpful.

21. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
  22. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    front jacking point. On the car the "hard point" is round, and protrudes down from the car. It fit nicely on the flat part of my jack stand, but you have to place it carefully. I had to remove the white "cradle" piece, shown in photo, that is normally used with this type of jack stand. Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Different from the front, the rear jack point is located in a circular recessed area. My floor jack fit into this recessed area, but barely, and had to be carefully placed. (I had a helper slowly jacking it up while I positioned it). A hockey puck would have helped here. I used wood pieces as a safeguard, in case the floor jack decides to lower itself over the next couple of weeks while the car is in the air. Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    NOTE: My solution (and Drestless') was a bit different than the one written by Rev'n Kevin. Rev'n used one central front jack-stand point, I believe. I used TWO different front "hard points" (the outboard ones just aft of the front tires) and TWO jack stands up front. You can see the positioning if you look at the first of my three photos.