Correct location of spark plug wire tubes - 330 GTC | FerrariChat

Correct location of spark plug wire tubes - 330 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by JimEakin, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I noticed that the tubes for the spark plug wires have been installed below the cam covers on my engine. On pictures of other engines and on the diagram on Eurospares, the tubes should be installed above the cam covers. I assume that the distributor caps and wires can be swapped? From the firing order, this should work if the distributor rotors turn in the opposite directions.

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    The rotors turn in the SAME direction.

3. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    They mount over the valve cover, ending above the #2/11 plug.

It will not be possible to swap 1-6 for 7-12 without rerouting/rearranging the wires in both the cap and tube.

If you do rearrange them, it is easier to remove the wires completely and start back with the longest wire (#1 or #12) first and work your way back towards the distributor, keeping them arranged in the tube. A little foaming glass cleaner makes everything move better without leaving a residue.

Both distributors rotate clockwise.

The caps are the same, and have #1/#7 in the same position.

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #4 John Vardanian, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Also, the firing orders are the same on the banks, so it's possible that someone swapped them inadvertently.

john

Attached Files:

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    not sure if I understand your question but there is no other way to install the tubes.
    They go on the bottom of the cam covers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    also as an FYI - when doing the Ellena, i discovered that there are variation of tubes - especially for an inside plug car, vs outside plug 250. i was trying to install outside plug tubes on my inside plug motor and discovered the exit and mounting points are different :-(

Thanks to Cornelius -im all squared away!!

7. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    His tubes have been swapped left to right, they will bolt on, but hang over the edge of the valve cover, and the wire exit holes point in the wrong direction. This can be corrected, but the wires will need to be rerouted.

I found a picture of them installed improperly to help clarify

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.
    Yeah, the tubes are on the wrong side on my engine. And thanks, John V., for the diagram. I did go ahead and check the spark plug routing to find that indeed the caps can't be swapped.

Here's a picture of the tube on the passenger side. Not only is it in the wrong orientation, but one of the studs with the spacer is in the wrong place! I'd need to take the cam cover off to be able to swap the studs.

It looks like new spark plug wires were recently installed. So the guy picked the wrong tubes when he put the wires in.

So while I'm here I plan to reroute the wires. I need to cut off the connections on each end. 7 mm wire.

9. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The studs can be swapped by double nutting the stud using 2x M6x1.0 hex nuts. This can be done without removing the cover.

The wires only have crimped connectors on the spark plug end, at the distributor they are retained with a brass screw that pierces the wire. You can unscrew the screw, remove the wire, rearrange the wiring, and reinstall. Give the wire a good tug once it's fixed in the cap.

10. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Jim, you may also want to put in the proper grommets, if you end up rewiring.

john