Correct pronunciation of 'Scuderia' | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Correct pronunciation of 'Scuderia'

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by modena, Jul 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Stable/stables

any questions?

2. Scuderia NoVA

Scuderia NoVA Formula Junior
    Owner

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Anthony

Is that stah-BLUH, or stah-BLEYY?

3. Kyle13

Kyle13 Karting

Jul 20, 2008
    Bedford Hills, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle Cullam
    +1

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Sorry, I've never been to Hawaii, so I didn't get it.

5. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    American is Scudah - riah

Italian is Scu Darrrraah re ah - lingering over the second sill-ahble. End of the word mouthed but barely voiced. Many Italian words carry this cadence, a quick start then emphasis in the middle, then drift off. My experience comes from working below Rome and doubt if that could vary on such a basic phrase.
    **********From I don't remember where***********
    Rarely emphasis on the beginning of the word.

The most common pattern in Italian finds the stress on the penultimate (second-to-last) syllable of the word: amore, felice, caro, interessante. If a word follows this pattern, it is called a parola piana. The word piano as an adjective means "even" or "level." This pattern is the norm for Italian words.

Another pattern finds the stress on the last syllable. If an Italian word ends in a vowel with an accent over it, the stress is on that final syllable: pieta, perche, saro, fini. Then, too, there is the common Italian feature of removing the final vowel of a word. Amore can become amor, thus resulting in the stress falling on the final syllable. This word shortening is called troncamento in Italian (in English it is called truncation or apocopation), and can only happen if the truncated word ends in l, m, n, or r: fedele = fedel, andiamo = andiam, dono = don, sospiro = sospir. A word with final syllable stress is called a parola tronca. Tronco, as an adjective, means "cut off," "broken off." It is as if the word were "cut off " from the norm of the parola piana. In addition to polysyllabic words that follow this pattern, one syllable words, for poetic purposes, are considered parole tronche.

Finally, the stress can fall on the third-to-last syllable, the antepenultimate syllable: angelo, timido, anima, visibile. This happens with many -ere verb infinitives: credere, muovere, ridere, and with most third person plural verb endings: amano, capiscono, potessero. A word that has this stress pattern is called a parola sdrucciola. The delicious word sdrucciolare means "to slip," "to slide." It is as if the word "slips" away from the norm of the parola piana by having an additional unstressed syllable.

6. ScuderiaShield

ScuderiaShield Karting

Sep 20, 2008
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #56 ScuderiaShield, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
    In Texas it's Skew-da-reah.

7. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Now that this is settled, can we work on Forza? ;)

za equals tsa, as in pizza.

Thank you, my work on earth is now done.

8. Jkuz

Jkuz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    John K
    And while we're at it, is it MOE-den-ah, or moe-DEE-nah?

9. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Haha

10. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Mo-den-aa - Drag out the "den" and the "aa"

11. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
  12. Garyt

Garyt Rookie

Feb 9, 2012
    Skoo-DEH-ree-ah
    is the closest phonetic pronunciation. Italian words generally have the accent on the second to last syllable, with some exceptions. This is one of those exceptions.
    It is not pronounced scoo DARE ia. (and don't forget to "roll" the "r")

13. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    It's, MOH-deh-nah, not Moh-DEE-nah. There was a similar thread to this one years ago that went on about as long as this one. The accent is not on the second to the last sylable, it's on the first sylable.

14. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    this thread is a "brutta figura"

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No, it's not; it's pronounced skoo-duh-REE-uh. As you stated, the accent, even in this case, is on the penultimate syllable.

This is correct - but just to be clear, the O in Modena, is a long O (like the O in Joe, not a short O like the O in odd): MOE-den-nah.

16. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I need to hear it with feeling from an Italian having one of those European tight little butts that looks great in Armani.

17. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    This is crazy, guys the vowels in italian are just like in spanish. You got to know someone who speaks either one, just ask them to pronounce a,e,i,o,u and they will always be the same.

18. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Where can we meet, I'm part Spanish and part Basque, but gave up Armani for jeans. Now, I had to come back because you avatar is confusing me.

19. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    no my friend, italiano is not spanish

20. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #70 Testacojones, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    With your statement my guess is that you don't speak neither one. I had to come back, maybe you think I don't know italian and I do know but not a fluent speaker, I know how to read it as fast as anyone. Maybe you're thinking about the grammar and there are differences, but once explained to anyone they are very hard to forget or confuse. The vocabulary is very similar, I can put a spanish speaker in Italia and have him fluently speaking the language in a couple of months.

21. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Use google translate.....

follow this link below then put "stable" in the english, translate to italian, click on the suggested "stabile" and then choose "scuderia" then click on the speaker symbol to hear

http://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en&tab=wT

22. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Okay, so I got my Italian friend, who is still living in Italy and have lived there all of his life, to pronounce the following words..

Scuderia
    Ferrari
    Modena
    Maranello
    Italia
    Scaglietti

Download file HERE

23. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Exactly like I say it.