correct radio for a 1970 dino gt | Page 2 | FerrariChat

correct radio for a 1970 dino gt

Discussion in '206/246' started by philt68, Jun 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    What is the difference between a sonar 104 and 108?
    Ed

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    they look different and the later GN 108 has the amplifier already integrated
    model change was in 1971/72

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Pix of 104 and 108 radios? Both were tapes decks?
    Ed

4. br1zapp

br1zapp Rookie

Nov 28, 2011
    #29 br1zapp, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    RE: Ferrari stamped on Voxson amplifier side

Here in Italy I met with that circular, black ink writing at least on a couple of Voxson Sonar GN104/SR amplifiers. near the 9 pin black cable, on the side.
    The possible reasons may be 2:
    - a special identification for radio sets .....particularly well/double checked by Voxson,
    supplied directly to Ferrari....or more probably its dealers;
    - same as above....for Voxson car radio sale/service shops;
    I tend to believe the first reason was more likely.
    Something like first equipment gear.....a higher price but a better quality!
    I remember that to get one it was not so easy.....the car radio service shop had first to order it from a Voxson warehouse or wholesaler...then the car radio technician installed it.
    I imagine that each passage would have implied a price difference....Voxson 8-track has always been very expensive!

At disposal for any further info.
    Bruno
    Ferrara
    Italy

5. br1zapp

br1zapp Rookie

Nov 28, 2011
    ciao, please read my today post about it!
    I can clearly believe that somebody.....asked for Autovox Melody.....cassette players were already available but Voxson had chosen the 8-track!
    So, from a purist point of view.....it took a good italian cassette player only and Autovox was renowned for quality.
    All the best
    Bruno
    Ferrara
    Italien

6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    #31 Skippr1999, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    04124, I purchased new in the 1972 from Orange Motors in Coral Gables, Fl. I installed a Becker Europa II with manual Hirschmann antennae. BTW, I have now fitted it with a Bluetooth hookup for my IPhone works great, it also has telephone incoming and outgoing calls. GL

8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    If anyone has a Autovox face plate and knobs, please let me know. I'm missing those items and would like to reinstall the radio to its oem greatness.

Thanks,

Skipp

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    #34 Skippr1999, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. br1zapp

br1zapp Rookie

Nov 28, 2011
    Very frequently an Autovox melody....shows on free italian ads sites like subito.it or kijiji.it or on eBay.it.....the best solution is to look for a scrap one, then you'll use knobs and front-face plate and have some spare parts too!
    If you want I may help you.
    All the best
    Bruno
    Voxson and other period car radio stuff expert
    Ferrara
    Italy

11. br1zapp

br1zapp Rookie

Nov 28, 2011
    BUY IT NOW, IMMEDIATELY!
    I may help you, too.
    Considering the shipping cost to Usa...it will cost less than 100€!!!
    All the best
    Bruno

12. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    The radio in my car (01458) is a Becker Mexico CC. Not installed by the factory, but I assume it is period correct? I bought my car in Italy, and the radio had been removed. When I got it here, the shop that did some work on it installed the Becker Mexico CC. I don't even listen to it. There is nothing on the radio that I want to listen to.

13. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Just to be clear, a few words need to be said about "documentation" regarding radios.

If I recall correctly, none of the owners manuals show any photos of a radio installed in a Dino. The manual that I have for my late 1972 gts doesn't show a radio, and neither does the one for my early 1972 gt. Both were U.S. bound Dinos. Further, none of the official factory advertising materials I have show a radio installed, nor do they show an installed radio antenna mounting. The one factory advertisement that I have that comes closest to showing a radio is N. 41/70. By closest I mean that one of the Dinos displayed appears to have a radio blank-out plate to the immediate left of the glove box. None of the interior shots show speakers, speaker grill covers, or perforated door panels.

So, it appears that wiring diagrams for later M and E models that depict how to install a radio are the only official documentation, other than individual sales records from the factory. As Matthias states in the Dino Compendium, "the car radios offered by Ferrari had limited operability in North America. So, the car radio was generally retrofitted by the importer or dealer. There were no limitations with regard to the car radio manufacturer or models. Radios from Blaupunkt or Becker were installed most frequently." Dino Compendium, p. 307.

Thus, at least for the North American market, a Voxson or Autovox appear to be incorrect. Especially since most Voxson and Autovox radios were not marked AM and FM, and they covered incorrect frequency ranges for the North American market.

So, I would say that you can install whatever radio you wish in a Dino originally destined for North America that fits, and that is period appropriate - as long as it is for the correct frequencies.

14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm not sure how you can say the Autovox is incorrect, when that specific unit is listed on the Ferrari build sheet for my car above. That's absurd.

15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I think the build sheet is pretty conclusive imo, just because the manual never showed a radio fitted doesn't mean anything.

16. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I wrote about "documentation," and noted that the owners manuals do not mention an Autovox or any particular radio, and that none of the owners manuals show any photos of a radio installed in a Dino, nor do any of the official factory Dino advertising brochures that I have seen show ANY radio installed in a Dino. I also wrote that "it appears that wiring diagrams for later M and E models that depict how to install a radio are the only official documentation, OTHER THAN INDIVIDUAL SALES RECORDS FROM THE FACTORY." That last phrase referred to includes YOUR (Skippr1999's) BUILD SHEET/RECORD.

Again, here's what Matthias wrote in the Dino Compendium -

"the car radios offered by Ferrari had limited operability in North America. SO, THE CAR RADIO WAS GENERALLY RETROFITTED BY THE IMPORTER OR DEALER. There were no limitations with regard to the car radio manufacturer or models. Radios from Blaupunkt or Becker were installed most frequently." Dino Compendium, p. 307 (emphasis added).

Therefore, WITH RESPECT TO THE NORTH AMERICAN DINO MARKET, I wrote that:

"a Voxson or Autovox APPEAR to be incorrect. Especially since most Voxson and Autovox radios were not marked AM and FM, and they covered incorrect frequency ranges for the North American market." (emphasis added). What I wrote is implicitly correct subject to the preceding clause "OTHER THAN INDIVIDUAL SALES RECORDS FROM THE FACTORY."

Thus, at least for the North American market, a Voxson or Autovox appear to be incorrect (again - UNLESS YOU HAVE AN INDIVIDUAL SALES RECORD FROM THE FACTORY that mentions the installed radio).

I closed by writing that "you can install whatever radio you wish in a Dino originally destined for North America that fits and that is period appropriate - as long as it is for the correct frequencies."

Now, Skippr1999 - I fail to understand why you think that I said that your PARTICULAR Autovox is incorrect for your specific Dino, nor do I understand why you appear to have taken what I wrote so personally.

Now, I agree, in part, with what TonyL says - the build sheet is "pretty conclusive," especially for a Euro Dino or a UK Dino, as to what would have originally been in a Dino upon delivery, but as above, it is a subtlety different matter for a North America destined Dino. I disagree, however, with TonyL's statement that "just because the manual never showed a radio fitted doesn't mean anything." What it DOES mean is that in the absence of a build sheet or sales record, the radio options are broader and include radios OTHER THAN JUST AUTOVOX OR VOXSON, especially in North America.

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Several Becker models went through the same change from separate amplifier units to integrated units around the same time period.

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    dinos and daytonas were produced at the same time. many usa daytona came with voxson radios installed from factory. several magazines and brochures show pix with the voxson. so its possible some early dinos had the voxson factory installed also.
    later daytonas and dinos received the becker mexico.
    the mexico is a cassette player whereas the voxson was an 8 track player.

19. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    it`s pretty rare, that a Autovox or Voxson radio was factory fitted with a North America delivered US-model Dino... but possible as we can see on Skippr1999 invoice....
    My Canadian delivered L-series #01100 had also a factory fitted Voxson unit.
    The reason must have been that the radio didn`t work in North America (European set up) so only the 8 track player or cassette player could be used in North America.
    So the general set up for the US-models was just the load speakers and electric antenna, no radio.... hence radio fitted by the dealership in the USA

I don`t know of any Dino factory fitted with a Becker or Blaupunkt radio! Only Autovox or Voxson units!

20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i will try to dig out the photo of a voxson i had that was stamped "ferrari"

21. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Didn't take it personally and meant no disrespect to you. Just debating the subject and have no ill feelings toward you :)

Skipp

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    On the bright side, I think I've acquired the faceplate and knobs I was missing.

23. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    The reason why the Voxson and Autovox units were so rarely ordered and often replaced by the customers were NOT that they could not receive US broadcasts. The AM (medium wave) band is essentially identical in US and Europe, so there is no such thing as Europe specific frequencies.
    Instead, I believe the customers changed them out when they realized that they could only receive AM stations, and no FM stations at all. They simply wanted the better audio quality and wider choice of programming that FM broadcasts offered. Also, the 8-track players were fading away at that time, being replaced by the more common cassette players. But I am sure that the most serious shortcoming was the lack of FM reception.

Skippr1999, I think it is really cool that you have the Autovox radio that was specified on the build sheet. And you should be able to listen to all the AM broadcasts in the US on it. Nowadays it is mainly news and sports talk shows but still, it should work.
    If you want more choice of material, you could install a small AM modulator under the dash, or have the Autovox modified with a line input. Then you could feed in any other source you wish, FM radio, mp3 player, phone or whatever.

24. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Lars thanks for clarification :)