Correction: 2 Injuries at TMS Panoz Track Day Friday... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Correction: 2 Injuries at TMS Panoz Track Day Friday...

Discussion in 'Texas' started by rob lay, Nov 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't want to stray too much but, I'm a little turned around. TMS is in Dallas area and TWS is in Conroe. Correct? Or do I have it backwards.

Dave

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Well you're close. TMS is north of Ft Worth not far from Dallas. TWS is in College Station home of Texas A&M University.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's right Dave...this is the NASCAR/IRL track, in Ft. Worth actually.

Texas World Speedway is in Bryan/College Station.........

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's good to hear Colin, I thought you might be there as I knew you did them in the past.

My source does speak German as her native language. ;) Seems like the story matches up except she said the "ambulance crew said they died later".

Great news they're OK. I still wouldn't recommend this event for a newbie, being at TMS and not having instruction.

5. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    glad they are okay then. that quote of robs was prob from me as I emailed it to my corvette friend who I think posted it for info on the link I gave.

6. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    You are talking about the wife of one of the participants who is also a "professional" track worker doing events around the country? She was there and she was the one who reported to us that the ambulance crew got the good news that both were OK. So unless there was later news that they both suddenly upped and died - she must have been sending you a line.

I agree with you about the instruction requirement and I think Panoz may change some things but this was a single car accident and that can happen on any track with walls. The new Shenandoah track at Summit Point is almost entirely walled so doubtless they will be dealing with this problem.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Good news that nobody was killed. Very good news.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, Uta (sp?) has been here a few years from Germany and works races all around the country. Her husband was in the racing school. She worked the TWS races this past weekend and the story I posted here was as verbatim as I remember from her Saturday night. Myself and others confirmed with her over and over that they both died and she said yes. So Saturday night was after the 5pm Friday you got your update. So one of three things has happened...

1) The couple did die.

2) They're fine and although everyone there and listening to Uta interpreted her statements about them dieing, there was a "lost in translation".

3) They're fine and Uta was really really really "dramatizing" the story. It was the workers party and there were many workers around. Although workers care very much about safety and doing the best thing for the drivers, they LOVE to tell stories of serious incidents they've been involved with.

9. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I thought so. And I don't know where Conroe came from. I was thinking College Station but typed Conroe for some reason. :)

Dave

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Corvette forums took our post, so here is one from them... :)

11. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Thanks Rob - It was a very loud bang when they hit the wall and they demolished the wall, which had to be rebuilt before the school could continue.

It makes sense that his wife fared somewhat worse than he did because the impact was on her side. I suspect the facial damage was a result of the head movement from a rear end impact causing huge bite down compression. Says much about the need for and value of adopting the Hans restraint as a standard. The car had road seat belts which also probably saved their lives but contributed to the damage as compared with 5 point 3" plus race harnesses.

As I said earlier, i think he was hot into the chicane and lifted: trailing oversteer. It will get you everytime!

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    thanks for the updates.

q, regarding the chin injury: would this be due to an open face helmet? or could a closed face helmet also emit the same kind of injuries? of course, either would be sans HANS. (no pun intended)

13. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    FYI, new SCCA SOLO II rules do not allow open face helmets for 2005.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Wonder if they're doing it for club racing too, up until now you could have open face for club racing! Greg Scott uses open face because he wants to look like a vintage racer. :)

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Maybe not. SCCA is also considering rules for airbags. One possible injury is airbag to chin bar on helmet causing lower facial injury. Airbags are designed to hit you not your equipment.

16. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Not to take this thread off track (no pun intended) but Greg's racing suit is AWESOME! A sweet replica of the porsche team suit from the movie LeMans.