Corvette C8 over used 458??? | FerrariChat

Corvette C8 over used 458???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by PA Wolfpacker, Aug 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chouch

chouch Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2008
    I would still take the Ferrari any day of the week.
    But on paper, it seems that the new C8 is quite an impressive package for a 60k base price.

2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I thought the C7 was an appealing design when it was introduced - wasn't in the market for one, but just liked the look. Apparently so did teams of buyers, because it's one of the most prevalent models at local car meets, which from my perspective, really diminishes the appeal.

With a starting price point of $60k, I expect C8s will be everywhere before you know it. While I do see more Ferrari's out and about now, I can't imagine they'll be such a common sight in most regions that they will cease to be interesting. Bragging rights about which car might have better performance is pretty meaningless unless you're taking a car on the track.

rampante550 likes this.
  3. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No, next question.....

Defender 90, Chizz, IloveGT and 2 others like this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    No contest. I’d take the 458.

That said, any car by any manufacturer/country that is considered “sort of a modern 458”, has got my full attention.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm buying a C8 convertible. Out the door it will be about 80 grand. Three year warranty. Service it at any GM dealer. Loaded with the latest whiz bang stuff. Plenty fast for the streets.

No, it is no Ferrari. What is? Even a Lambo isn't

But find me a similar 458 spider for 80 grand that won't cost me a penny in repairs the next three years. For the money I lost in trading my F430 for a 458 coupe I could have almost bought the entire C8.

Money and worry no object? 458 all day long. Daily driver? C8 wins.

6. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just made that decision, and I went with the used 458. I love the Corvette and still have a C4 ZR1 and a C5 Z06 but I sold my C7Z06. I did the deal before the official reveal of the C8, when I found the exact 458 I wanted and I also could never really get into what I was seeing on the renders and spy shots. I kind of took a gamble that when revealed, the C8 would be so much prettier than I expected that I would regret my purchase but that did not happen for me. No bash on the C8 at all, as what they have done is amazing, and the car is pretty, but just like the NSX, the C8 does not match the look of the 458 for me.

7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Never. Can't argue that the C8 is great bang for the buck but driving one will never be an "event" like driving an exotic. Ferrari and Lamborghini are always an event to drive, even with dailly use. Makes my hair stand on end and a tingle go down my spine. 991 GT3 and AMG GTS while great daily drivers aren't in the same ballpark and neither is a Corvette for me. I see Vettes on the road all the time, more common than Porsches. That kind of ubiquity makes car ownership less special for me and is why I don't drive 911's anymore.

8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    If we’re just talking about money than hands down it has to go the Corvette. Money aside I would take the used 458 without question. This opinion coming from a 458 owner. It might change once the C8 is seen in the flesh and driven but as it stands right now I’ll hang onto my 458:)

9. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I'll keep my 458 Spider. The C8 doesn't look bad (I think Gm tried a little bit to hard in areas) and at $60K starting price, it a lot of car for the money. But a Ferrari is a Ferrari and 9K with the roof down is just plain fun.

I also take this as a compliment that they are comparing the C8 to the 458 (timeless styling for the Ferrari) and I think GM should be worried that people are comparing their new car to a 8 year old platform..... o_O

NuorderSG likes this.
  10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If we are on a budget, $80k is less than $200k for a 458 spider.

For $80k the Alfa Romeo 4C looks more interesting to me. It is smaller, doesn’t have all the gizmos...it doesn’t even have power steering.

But l can afford to keep my 458 spider and it is one most treasured parts of my life. I didn’t work hard and save my nickels to own a Corvette.

BTW is there a Corvette Chat?

rampante550, Loucho26 and TomAZ like this.
  11. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    corvetteforun.com

I'm an old Corvette guy having owned several of them. I still enjoy driving Corvettes but going from driving a Corvette to a 458 on the same day, a week later or whatever period is quite a treat. I also agree seeing so many Vettes on the street takes a lot away from it all. With that said, I sure hope we don't start seeing Ferraris in every othery driveway now that the company is a stand alone public company.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’m looking for a track-ish car, it a dedicated racer. While I’ve had 3 458’s I wouldn’t get one for track as just too costly to maintain at that level. But a $80k mid engine vette? Sure. For that purpose.

Assuming it’s any good which we don’t know yet. So far, it’s all hype.

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    My simple comparison of my C7 and my 430. The C7 is faster but the 430 goes where you point it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

PhilNotHill likes this.
  14. New Timex or Patek 5726?

rampante550, Adamas, TomAZ and 5 others like this.
  15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Which version?

16. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    Love the c8.i love how everyone is comparing the 60k car to the 200k 458. iam getting one. why? one word. (reliability)!

Sent from my SM-A600T1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Phil~, Craigy, Melon767 and 3 others like this.
  17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    hmmm, reliablity is not the 'one word' normally associated with Chevrolet. Did you mean a 'warranty' maybe? ;)

BruceC, TomAZ, Surfah and 2 others like this.
  18. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    nope. the fit and finish just isn't the same. And you will see everyone and their wife rolling up to whole foods in one. Or parked on a stand at Jim's used car dealer few years. Oh you will have warranty, but they'll still be the same old chevy dealer with a highschool kid pulling your new vette back around to the lift. Once the tech gets done with the oil leak on the chevy sonic, he'll start working on your car.

buuuut. its still a hell of alot of car for $60k. I'd take it over a GTR, base cayman, viper.

rampante550 likes this.
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The C8 is cheap performance if you can stomach the American car design version of an exotic. If you have the cash then the 458 is the car of choice. Better choice would be to have both and use the C8 as a DD assuming you're OK with the looks and don't mind passing several C8s while commuting. Other thing to remember is a C8 configured the way an enthusiast wants will not be $60K.

20. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Sorry for the typo; I meant corvetteforum.com

21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I just don't get this apples to oranges, C8 to 360-- 430-- 458 comparisons.
    Maybe wishful thinking for those who want to talk themselves into a C8 (?) HP for the $$$? Sure the C8 over both the 360 and 430. The C8 over the 458? I don't see it.

I've owned and driven a lot of 911s (some on the track) that were not the king of the road, fastest car available, or whatever. But sports car ownership goes beyond that for me.
    Fit, finish, quality of materials, attention to details, and reliability of the simple things that keep working year after year are a big factor in keeping the joy of ownership alive.

22. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #23 boobernackle, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Would choose a 458 over a C8, 9K RPM and depreciation already there makes it a true value.

But would choose a C8 over a 488. Pre-sold my 488 Spider for the incoming Pista and don't miss it much.

The C8 seems a massive hit for GM and dealers. With the Z06 version, expect 700+ HP, dual clutch transmission, for $100K. That's the one that'll really kill forced induction supercar values. Finally, a Corvette that has an interior to keep up with the competition.

What will Ferrari have then? The F8GLY.
    Also, Ferrari needs to wake up with their options pricing moving forward.

Metallic Paint: $12K
    Apple CarPlay: $4,500
    JBL stereo: $5,700
    AFS: $2,500
    CF interior pieces: almost $6K for bridge and dash
    Forget wheels: $5,700
    Front camera: $2,500
    Front and rear sensors: Really?

This isn't 2015 anymore, the competition has caught up. C8 brings the pricing/standard features to reality.

IPO1, Ash Patel, xfrgtr and 1 other person like this.
  23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I would not choose a C8 over a 458, either, even when it later comes in Z06 trim. But the question is a lot closer for the older cars, which have less a performance envelope and more known issues like engine-out timing belt changes, cracked headers, etc. In that situation, it comes down to economics and intended use.

Although some people daily drive their Ferraris, most do not. I can see the C8 being more an issue for 911s, which more often get daily or near daily use.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

boobernackle likes this.
  24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    However you're ready to pay for a Pista apparently - so why wouldn't people pay (a lot less) for an F8?
    And then, why should Ferrari worry? their selling pitch is not about value for money...

stavura and REALZEUS like this.