Cost of buying new and not driving a Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cost of buying new and not driving a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by intrepidcva11, Feb 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Maybe the VS model is a lesbian.............

iloveferrari likes this.
  2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    C'mon, Briggs Cunningham not only drove his cars, he raced them. Had dinner with Bruce couple years ago after visiting his collection. ditto. He drives them. Check this petrolicious out:

https://autoweek.com/article/car-life/road-bruce-meyers-ferrari-250-trc-testa-rossa

In Spring 1959 I was actually practicing in my TR3 on the track at Santa Barbara at the same time Richie Ginther was practicing in this Johnny Von Neumann 250TRC.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good - then you can have a threesome with her lover

surfwolf and daytona355 like this.
  4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I of course cannot speak for everyone. I bought my current Ferrari out of love for the design, heritage and the way it makes me feel when I am in the car.
    I truly have no desire to be added to any trophy cabinet with it.

In fact my first Ferrari (Mondial QV) I bought because my ex-missus would not let me have a 1966/8 Mustang :D

PS What's a Rothko?

tomc likes this.
  5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    There’s a challenge there to convert her, and if she doesn’t, at least you will be happy when she invites her friends over!

6. Douglas52

Douglas52 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Some people buy things they love
    Cases of wine they'll never drink, rare coins they'll never spend, rare stamps they'll never mail and amazing works of art that only they can enjoy and Patek Philippe watches they rarely wear.
    I think that Ferrari falls into this category for those people.
    I've got over 50,000 miles on a 328 and more than 25,000 miles on a 348, for me, "Ferraris are made to be driven"
    (I'm just saying")

Bertil and paulchua like this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if you had access to 30 VS models there wld def be a few you didnt sleep with.

with all due respect i hear this comment repeated over and over and its the dumbest thing ever said. people have houses they never use...having cars you dont use makes sense for adults with alot of responsibility

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rothko
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-18001432

My personal trophy is a Basquiat. Mostly because I knew his father when I was growing up..

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The difference instead of the belts and seals drying up while involuntarily sitting around.. the VS model will get bored and leave with the pool boy. ;) Analogy to that is maybe the son or nephew takes it for a drive when the owner isn't looking.
    I think it's a great analogy personally.

10. Herman Ronald

Herman Ronald Karting

Feb 23, 2014
    Netherlands, Frl
    Full Name:
    Ronald
    I think that there is a mistake beeing made in the difference of passion and the desire or possession.
    It's a buying urge, and as much as possible!
    When we are driving a F it's as a permanent addict, but some people want to buy a F for the endorphin and wanted to remains that level to maximum value in being able to own.
    it's an artificial trade that benefits a complete branch of profit, and that must also be appreciated.

I have a worrisome feeling about the passionate man/woman who wants to realize and keep and driving his dream with a low budget, because some Ferrari models crashed over the years and become rare. Even the ugliest Ferrari models are than a collector item for the better fortunate persons, the one who still has little money and owning that rare car can not pay the spare parts anymore! Now a lot of you think: then sell your car and you can buy another dreamcar!!!! and that is just what passion is about, that only one special model that you might have seen as a small child, where you have given your blood, sweat and tears for even there was a chance of a divorce(LOL). But that's passion al abouth an has rewarded by buying, driving and maintaining
    (sorry for my bad English language)

tomc likes this.
  11. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    some see a guy wasting his money by not driving his Ferrari.
    I see a guy so wealthy that he doesn't mind losing $150,000 over 10 years.
    I strive to be so wealthy that losing that much money doesn't scare me.

Not there yet.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how do you figure - it cost him 10k a year to own a sick low mile car that he cld look at whenever he wanted. id rather pay this 10k a year than the $6k a year i spend on cable or the $13k i spend on my gas and electric bill.

13. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A said "a" Ferrari, not 30 Ferraris.

Perhaps you should pass reading comprehension before you post a response.

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Perhaps u shld come up with ur own original thoughts instead of regurgitating others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So I'm not the first to tell you that you failed reading comprehension? Why am I not surprised.

Oh, and you're dead wrong - if I had access to 30 VS models I would sleep with every one of them.

daytona355 likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    How many miles a year do you put on ur ferrari?

17. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    per OP post for the 200,000 car

10K/year depreciation (if you really want to be a stickler, he could have put that money in long-term bond in 2005 and get 2.5% so he would get an extra 6K/year - ie opportunity cost)
    2K insurance (likely has comprehensive coverage despite not driving it)
    1K registration
    2K misc cost (fluid changes/tires/maintenance).

it 15-21K money

pretty expensive for eye candy but the guy probably doesn't care. I wish my finances are like his where 15-21K is I-don't-care money.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Short sighted analysis. He cld have died the day after he bought the car. Why do people try to rationalize an irrational purchase. Flying private costs multiple times first and business class but plenty of people do that every day a d there is zero returns on dollars spent outside of headaches saved.

Why do people who try to rationalize this guys financial decision spend time on a ferrari board? Wldnt you be better for a nice financial planning or investment board?

Guess what most people who buy multiple Ferraris have alot of money they don’t necessarily give a **** about as you cant put a price on passion.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  19. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sold for $120,100 plus $5k buyers fee.

20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Personally I'd rather have 1-10 cars I drive regularly than 40-50 cars that hardly ever see the road, but that's just me.

I think if you're very wealthy and have a team that keeps up your cars when not being driven, it's one thing (although not my thing). The trouble to me is when the cars start to rot internally while just sitting there. That seems like a shame.

As for being impressive, I agree with vrsurgeon. I don't find trophy cars impressive at all, in the same way I'm completely underwhelmed by the guy who has 50 vintage guitars and can't/doesn't play them, or has a bunch of stuff sitting behind glass that more interesting previous owners actually used. "Cool." I'd rather create my own history with the things I own than brag about what the last guy who owned them did with them.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  21. Bobritchie40952

Nov 20, 2016
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Joseph Francis
    if you had access to 30 VS models there wld def be a few you didnt sleep with.

If I had access to 30 VS models; They wouldn't sleep! Actually your right, they'd sleep just fine. I'd be in the other room snoring after two.
    But if I had to choose...30 VS Models or 30 Ferrari's ???...now that's a Quandary!

22. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    I've stopped trying to figure out questions like this and have adopted a "let the owner do what they please" approach.

Some want to store them, some want to drive them. To each their own.

LARRYH likes this.
  23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont think anyone is trying to forbid owners not driving their cars from owning them.

To most, it is very strange to see cars never driven for whatever reason. Of course there are many valid reasons such as lack of time, health, family etc. But there are also people who do not really enjoy the driving but just the owning/collecting. Maybe they did like driving and it became a hassle after speeding tickets or breakdowns or unwanted attention but they still want the cars.

In my wildest dreams, I'd have a 100+ car collection and I love driving but there would be no way i would be able to put 5k miles on each per year, even with my sons driving them with me. Still wont stop trying to get there...

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  24. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    If you look at some of the other cars on BAT with low miles a lot of times the market does reward low miles. There was just a 944 that went for way more than average mainly because it only had 5K miles.

25. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great 1st post lololol