Cost of buying new and not driving a Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Cost of buying new and not driving a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by intrepidcva11, Feb 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I could list over 100 cars as well that I'd love to own, but like you it would be impossible to put that many miles on it. My daily driver only gets 4k miles a year as is.

What I would like to do if I had that many is to make a museum like Dr. Simeone's or George Barber's and everything on display is maintained to run and can do demo days for visitors on their closed course.

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Some people like to watch.

daytona355 likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Owners always remark how not driving your Ferrari makes no sense but buyers always demand a Ferrari with extra low miles. Seems when buyers become owners many retain a buyer's mentality. After all, two Ferraris equal in all respects but miles its the lower mileage one that gets the premium.

Another truism is that many Ferrari owners never reveal that they own Ferraris unless its to someone they think won't flip over spending the equivalent cost of a house for a car. Most people think we're insane. Not saying that we're not, of course...

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Another possibility as to why so many Ferraris change hands with super low miles. Odometer tampering.

5. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    I truly thank the original owners for doing a just service for many others who become 2nd hand users of these fantastic machines. When I get the chance to finally become a Ferrari owner I will find reasons to take her out on a joy ride, but like someone else mentioned, my daily driver which is 3.5 years old only has 14k miles on it so how much driving can one really do.

6. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    So many tired tropes about Ferrari owners not driving their cars...

As has been said, owners can have multiple cars and are busy with work, travel, business, family etc. Doesn't mean the cars are being 'saved' for someone else. When I lived in the Midwest it was only good driving weather 3-4months/year and I usually worked the weekends. Doesn't leave a lot of time for leisurely drives.

The modern Ferrari company even mandates customers buy multiple cars to get the rare special editions. But the peanut gallery always seems to feel the need to spew the usual 'not real car guys' etc etc.

7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I tend to agree with this. I have 4 fun cars (67 Camaro, built Jeep Wrangler, F12, and Lamborghini Performante) and I drive each one every chance I can get. Yet I have only driven my Perf about 1500 miles in 13 months, and my F12 about 1600 miles in 18 months. While I am definitely not intentionally “saving” miles on the cars, at first glance, it might appear that way. Between poor weather (cold in the winter, incessant T-storms in the summer) and wife/kids/work/travel, I am driving all I feasibly can. Also, my typical drive is about 30-50 miles of country roads, so 1600 miles in the F12 is probably around 40 separate drives. To me, that ain’t a garage queen, even if the miles are somewhat lowish.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.