Cost of Ferrari Ownership...Be aware | FerrariChat

Cost of Ferrari Ownership...Be aware

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tomf-1, Jun 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    My 360 came with only 1 set of keys (one key and one black remote)....Just called Ferrari of Dallas to inquire about getting an extra set.

Are you ready for this? First, they will need the car on sight to program the remote....Second, the cost of getting the remote is $1500 before labor...Yeak.!!!!!! I estimate it will cost at least $1,500 around trip to ship the car. In the end, the extra set of key will cost $3,000....Isnt' that just crazy? The moral of the story is "PLEASE do not lose your spare key".

I will likely ship it and get all the needed service done while it's there. In the meantime, the trick is "not" to lose the only one I have or I will be screwed.

If anyone else has a better solution, please advise. Thanks.

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Check the owners manual as it may tell you how to program the remote somewhere in it

3. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    Tom - When I got my 550 (2nd owner) about a year ago, it came with three key sets. I've got the spares in "hiding", and based on your story, I'm glad I do.

Then when I got the old 365 a month or so ago, it only came with one key. Of course, nothing about a remote back then. I just went to a local lock store, and they made two dupes for, I think, about twelve bucks!

There's something to be said for the "good OLD days".

4. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    My 360 came with 3 sets of keys. I bought the car new if that makes a difference?

5. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Bob-- Isn't that the truth about the good ol' days....

The problem w/ the 360 is you "need" the darn remote to start the car (in addition to the key)!!!! Otherwise, I'd be content w/ just one remote and get myself another key made.....

Oh well....in the end, she is still worth all the trouble but this is a real pain in the a**

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The red remote is the master. It costs $1,500 to replace. That is probably what they were talking about.

FBH told me $1,000. FWIW.

DL

7. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    $1500? I think they might be ripping you off. I have 2 extra remote (red & blk) made in Ferrari of BH and I remember the bill was somewhere in $550 + -

An uncut 360 key is less than $85.00.

8. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Ok..Jeff, I will go pick myself up a new 04 360 tomorrow....(lol..common, man!!!).

9. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I remember paying $550 for a new "set" of 355 keys and remotes about two years ago. That included three remotes and three keys. FWIW.........

10. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Jimmy--- I just got off the phone with Lake Forrest Sportcars and ask Lee (Serv. Manager) to verify on the pricing. I will likely ship it and have the major service done too while it's there.. Thanks for the headups.

11. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Do you have to have the remote to start a 355 too? I don't know since I haven't owned one yet...

12. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Here's a suggestion ... Drive it.

Bill in Brooklyn

13. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    If the 360 is like the 355, it's not the key, but the remote. As said before, the red remote is the master. If you have that you can just buy a black remote and much less cost. If you don't have the black, you get a whole new set 1 red, 2 black and the dealer has to reprogram the security system. That cost is truly $1500+. The moral to this story is to keep the red remote locked up and not in the car. BTW- if the remote dies when you are away from home. the owners books have a special code to start the car with out either remote and only a key. It's a long process.

14. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    That's good to know. Thanks.
    BTW, it's the black remote that came w/ the car....(not sure how the prev. owner managed to lose two sets....)

15. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson

I do not understand what is going on with the 550 needing the remote to start it. I think my car must be schizophrenic.

My garage is always locked and alarmed, and I also have another car parked behind the 550. Therefore, I rarely lock the car when it's in the garage.

About half the time when I get in it, it will start with just the key. The other half the time, the red light is flashing, and I have to use the remote. There is absolutely no pattern (that I can discern) to when it decides I'm "okay", versus when it thinks I'm an "intruder".

16. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Tom:

I've got a better idea, call Chris @ Ferrari or Orange County @714-662-7600

I did some research and Ferrari OC do have the best pricing and I'm sure Chris can give a much better deal.

Best of Luck!

17. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Jimmy--You are the man...Just talked to him.
    You saved me A LOT....of dough, bro.
    Owe you one, man. Will look to return the favor in the fut.

18. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Ouch. Those remotes are insanely priced, well that is how it is with most Ferrari parts. What can you do but pay it.

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Very strange. my 550, even if left unloked, will after a few minutes (2?) of inactivity (engine off / key out) go into the "light blinking" mode.

Can you open the door w/o the alarm? Will the car unlock / alarm disable? What is the process to start the car w/o the remote? Would be good to know if the battery ever dies.

--Dan

20. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    I last drove the car yesterday, and parked it in the garage unlocked. I just went out to check, and it is definitely NOT in light blinking mode.

Since I did not "set" the alarm via the remote, I can open the door without it going off.

I don't know about starting without the remote. I do have a battery charger in the garage, which I hope I won't have to use.

I hope I answered your questions. Let me know if not.

21. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Here Here!!!!!

22. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

It probably just gets jealous of the 365 GTC. Now think: Does it flash red AFTER you have been in the 365???!!!

23. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Tom, do you have PIN for your remote? It suppose to come with your car. W/out this PIN, you won't be able to re-set alarm or start the engine. I read the manual, and it said so. (wait, my car is 355, so 360 may be different)

I had 1 key set when I got the car, too. Then I read the manual and demanded 2 more sets w/ master remote & PIN. If the previous owner cannot furnish, I wanted them to get a fresh set w/ PIN number solved. Then 2 sets were delivered. W/out malicious intention, some people don't want to look for extra sets in a house, so you can motivate them.

Did yo contact the previous owner (a dealer) on this?

I can understand losing extra sets in 20 years of period, but not 2-8 years period, especially if the car is 1 owner-car.

24. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    It's all good man! Glad that I can help! :)

25. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    LOL! No, but it whimpers quietly. :)