Cost of Ownership | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cost of Ownership

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rai, Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Like da man said, you wanna run with de big dogs?

You gotta lift yer leg high!

Let us know what you decide to do. But whatever you do, come on in. The water is great.

DrTax

2. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    I look at it like slip fee for the boat. Around here that runs $3-4k a year.

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I get your point, Dr. Tax. I do think that one can drive a Ferrari for very little in overall costs if you do it the right way, and you don't have to compromise maintenance on the car. Would you agree?

4. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I haven't thought about the cost of ownership for cars. Yes, maintenance cost, but not ownership cost...

Many posts in this thread were re-freshing for my eyes. Thanks for education!

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You got that right, oh child of the corn (just kidding).

Actually, the most expensive car that you will ever buy is the first one that you pay for in cash. After that, if you buy right and sell even better, your equity lets you leverage into future cars. But that first one, man it's a killer. It doesn't matter whether it's an Enzo or a 1973 911, That's the tough one. After than, life is good.

Dr "Feel Good" Tax

6. rai

rai Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    You know what they say about the two happiest days of a boat owners life?

7. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    what exactly do they say?

ernie:)

8. rai

rai Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    The 2 happiest days of a boat owner are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it.

9. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    LOL. kind of like the one walks into a yacht club and tells the first person he sees, " I want to get into sailing". In reply, the guy says, "you wanna know what sailings like? get in the shower, turn on the cold water and start tearing up 100 bills." always makes me chuckle....

ernie:)

10. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I have owned my 575 M since April of last year. I have (myself) changed the motor oil and transaxle fluid several times in the 3,500 miles I have driven the car. The cost for the fluids is cheap in my thinking. The 2 accessory belts can be changes in 30 minutes. When I hit 15,000 I will get the dealer to change the timing belts. That is basically the extent of service until 60,000. You can change the air filters yourself. I will not do fuel filters so again I will bring the car to the dealer and also do the timing belts again. The engine does not ever have to be pulled. I think the same is true for the clutch. If you treat the car right you may never change it. This level of care is just pennies.

For rear engined cars, older cars, all bets are off.

aehaas

11. rai

rai Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    Thanks. I'm not hard on cars, and I am leaning towards a Front engine V12.

12. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Try to keep the numbers in perspective. The numbers I gave are all based on high quality independents or dealer service. When I was younger and poorer I did a lot of the maintenance and repairs myself. I still enjoy doing some of it but now time is more important so I
    pay for service. The numbers can be quite different if you provide the labor. This is easier to do on a Daytona than a 550 which is back to where we started.

13. rai

rai Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    To sum up, if I take Depreciation out of the picture. Is it safe to assume with 4000 miles a year, $2-4/mile?

So that gives a range of $8K-$16K a year. With an average of $12K

14. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    A word on mid-engined cars- most of the easy stuff (accessory belts, water pump, etc.) are simple to get to if you go through the fender wells and not try to climb over the rear of the car. Jack the car up, take the tire off, remove the fender well shroud, remove the air duct (one bolt and one clamp) and all is there for easy access.....