COTA 2021 Pre-Race Thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

COTA 2021 Pre-Race Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Oct 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    IMO Natalie Pinkham is way better . . . from any angle.

amerikalei and tifosi12 like this.
  2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    True, but she's just used as a prop. She is a bit irascible and really short on content.

If she were less guarded and more insightful, I would be cool. It may not be all on her, but she comes across as overly-prepped and plastic (and foul-mannered)

jgonzalesm6 and tifosi12 like this.
  3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Insanely uninspiring. How about a picture of the Corona virus, would look more appealing. :(

5. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Boy! Everyone sure seems fired up and excited about the race this weekend. Will the normal Sky crew do all the announcing or do we get the idiots from ABC?

BigTex likes this.
  6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL!

Well, I for one am fired up!
    But that poster shows just "how far" the F1 Bubble has drifted, ..intentional or not, the pink/purple actually IS the "Covid colors" that the virus is usually drawn with..

I hope some are following the thread in Texas section, as I am posting my location, except maybe when I am in The Landing Strip, or the Red Rose on South Congress..

I'm still working thru the logistics of the Daily "Negative Test" requirement, but I think there's venues in Bastrop, TX to handle that.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    ingegnere and Sharknose like this.
  8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    What’s the significance of the number 3?

And so the GP in the oil state of Texas is sponsored by the Saudi oil state?!

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We have the F1 Experiences Paddock Club, my guy is out this week, so not answering questions. Do you know if the track tour and pit lane stuff is open to everyone with Paddock Club or just those with Paddock and that option? My tickets and schedule don't mention anything about those extras specifically. I have the F1 Experiences Paddock Club in the Watkins Glen suite.

10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    ,I honestly don't know Rob. I don't have any info regarding what's allowed with Paddock Club tickets IF one is allowed in the pitlane and track tour. Sorry.

Have you tried calling COTA??

11. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    IMHO, that's Dale Earnhardt's number, and the slant of the 3 is the giveaway. Always fun to post a NASCAR photo in an F1 forum...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ingegnere likes this.
  12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Rick I find this today. Interesting insights from her here. Much better than the SKY F1 article I saw earlier. She is a racer with experience-yes.

I was in the paddock with some friends from Radio Monaco and Total / Renault, and she was there - Indy 2005. She seemed open and approachable. I did not meet her. Did chat with Sato that day as they were hanging round on Friday. Also met Wheldon on the street near the circuit. A very nice gent.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/32437330/danica-patrick-us-f1-driver-need-right-circumstances-big-name

AUSTIN, Texas -- Danica Patrick says Formula One having an American on the grid would only be a good thing for the sport's growth in the U.S. if that driver had the right environment to be a success.

Recent reports have linked Andretti Autosport with a takeover of Sauber, which would likely be followed by American driver Colton Herta moving across from IndyCar to F1. The championship has seen a huge spike in interest in recent seasons and many think a homegrown driver is what's needed for the sport to take the next step.

Patrick, a pundit for Sky Sport's F1 coverage for this weekend's U.S. Grand Prix, agrees that is true.

"100 percent. You nailed it," Patrick told ESPN ahead of this week's race. "If it's really going to start gaining and continuing to gain traction in the States the fans here are going to need someone to cheer for.

"And while definitely there are cool personalities in Formula One right now, it means a little bit more when they're local or home. I say this about racing too compared to other sports -- when you live in a city, you live in Indianapolis and you cheer for the Colts, there's a reason to cheer for a team. In racing there's not a reason to cheer for a driver.

"Like, I didn't have all of Illinois behind me just because I grew up in Illinois, you have to get to know the personalities. So the more they can be known and get out there, they'll have more of a following."

Patrick thinks her own racing experience shows how important a good or bad situation can be to an emerging talent -- Patrick qualified fourth as a rookie at the 2005 Indy 500 and nearly won the race, making her a household name in the process. She believes a driver's success is often linked to circumstances as much as talent.

"You never quite know how the transition is going to go from one series to another, one level to another. You see a lot of drivers that might not have accomplished much at one level and all of a sudden you're like, wow, they're incredible.

"Then you see it go the other way where they win everything, make the transition and they don't seem to pan out so much. So there's the transition that you have to understand, how does a driver adapt not only from a car perspective but also from a mental perspective.

"Pressure affects people in different ways. How they're able to handle the transitions and different exposure levels, different requirements of them as a driver, but then just also what's their opportunity like? Is the car good?

"Is it a year where... I feel like the best scenario to enter into a year, as happened to me, when I did my first year in IndyCar in 2005 those cars were so fast. I almost qualified pole and won the Indy 500 on my first time.

"I had a handful of poles that year. I was really fast. It solidifies you as a driver because you're like, oh obviously she can drive. But what if I or anybody comes in a year when the car is not good? Is it them now? Because that's going to be the first thing that gets blamed.

"If you don't do well the driver's the first thing to get blamed if they're new. So it really depends on the year and how competitive the car is."

The U.S. Grand Prix will be live on ABC at 1.30PM on Oct. 24.

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

That is a nice graphic!

14. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
  15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Looking closely, that 3 is just over the likeness of Leclerc so I’m guessing the organizers are hoping for Leclerc’s win #3… :)

16. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Met her when we were sponsors of Chip Ganassi Racing team (Wheldon was great...such a loss. Dixon was always quiet and focused, but still approachable). Danica was at the height of her popularity at that time, so, yeah, she was a bit full of herself. I get that...I won't judge her from one incident. But in general, she has been a bit stand-offish and condescending to the public. Perhaps now that she's retired, she can be a bit more open with people. (I do put a lot of that on her handlers, as they clearly were attempting to make her THE big story as a successful female open-wheel racer).

Regarding the article, I agree that she gave us something for a change. She even accounts for the fact that different circumstances affect drivers in unique ways. I hope she is a valuable addition this weekend. Would be nice.

DF1 likes this.
  17. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
  18. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Tommy Kendall coached / mentored her for a while, and said in the Dinner With Racers podcast that he asked her why she was always scowling at everyone, and trying to crunch their hand with her handshake. She said she was trying to intimidate the other drivers.

he said he told her (maybe not an exact quote) “You weigh 90 pounds soaking wet. You’re not intimidating anyone. If you want to get in these guys’ heads, pass them on track, pull into the pits, hop out, giggle and flip your hair. That will drive them nuts!”

ricksb likes this.
  19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I do think it allows you unlimited access to the taco stand! :D

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Pit Walk is out because of the Covid Bubble, does your whole party have a Vax Card or Test Result within 24 hours??

These are details that make the Paddock Club "not so much fun" this year, still the building is three floors so thee might be a fun group, in there somewhere....
    Ferrari will not be one of those...

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Quick Result test, in Bastrop would be the only answer, ask them at Lost Pines.....

The Ferrari team has used Lost Pines, in the past.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Bubba's wild Game at Turn 3...they know BigTex there......;)

Nospinzone likes this.
  23. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis