Could you live with no Sugar ? | FerrariChat

Could you live with no Sugar ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by msdesignltd, Feb 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Saw letterman the other night and Alec Baldwin was on..he was diagnosed with a pre Diabetes condition..Doctors said cut out all sugar intake..

Whoa..could you do it?? thats serious condition..Even Pasta is a no no..it converts in body to sugar.

How much of your daily intake has sugar in it..I am afraid to find out whats in mine..

So much for my sweet tooth.

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It wouldn't be easy, but definitely doable.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    "...cut out all sugar intake.."

That's a generic statement, especially since all foods convert to glucose (sugar). The doctors were probably telling him to "cut out all refined sugars". For starters anyway...

4. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I cut out sugar, pasta, rice, alcohol, bread, etc starting last 15 September. (ok sometimes, on vacation I splurge). Have lost 48 lbs so far. After a while you get used to it. No pre diabetic issues for me (AFAIK), just did not want to look 42 anymore.

5. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Same with me, no sugars or grains. Only meat and veggies...quite happy and losing fat as well.

6. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Do you guys still workout and if so how hard?

7. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Yes. I play Ice Hockey 3 days a week and lift weights 5 days a week.

8. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    No sugar for me but once a week. No carbs either. I lost 26 lbs and was not really fat to begin with. I work out 3 hours a week but it is a lift to fail workout. I am 54 and now have a bod a 25 year old would envy. The 4 Hour Body routine works.

9. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Which four hour body routine do you use? There were several in the book. I started with the kettlebells, but got bored of it. Got bored of everything I tried, to be honest. Maybe I need a lifting partner. I do krav maga 3 times a week--2 to 3 hour sessions. In addition, I either run, swim, or bike every day. I would like to put on some more muscle. I have a body any 54 year old would envy right now...it's not bad, but I would like to be able to strut around like a gymnast. :D

Please tell me what you do, in as much detail as possible.

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    HELL NO !!! may mi sweet tooth kill me... I have cut down on refined sugar . After watching "knives over forks " and reading engine 2 diet, I have moved to eat more fruit veggie and fish

I have a BAD chocolate habit.

I still workout, run masters track and play on two hockey team. planning on doing the warrior dash and/or spartan race.

11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Once I hit 45 lbs off I started running a bit and doing some basic calisthenics. Then I bought a motocross bike and started riding laps. First race in old guys (40+) class is this weekend...

12. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I'm 45 are usually work out 30 minutes to 1 hour 5-6 days a week . I go hard because I still play competitive hockey in 2 league with much younger guys n run masters track. ,plus im trying to fight off the effects of age so I di cross fit , boot camp, spinning TRX.

I want a better quality of life as I age and that the aliments of my parents or grandparents like back pain

13. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    DonJuan,
    sounds good but be careful of overtraining...you want to keep your body in shape, not wear it out quicker than normal. I hope you have the right balance. Avoid the high impact stuff that don't do you any good in the long run.

Yesterday's Barbara workout in CF was tough! I didn't do it, just read it and was thinking how sore I would be after doing that many squats.

14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I mix it up and don't always go hard

15. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    My body would shut down within hours of cutting sugar intake. I live on sugar! :D

16. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    30-45 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week is hardly overtraining if done carefully. the danger is 'under-recovery'. Many Master's athletes clock 10-15 hours a week of training, and have seen many Ironman types clock 30+ hour weeks (now that's over-training!).

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    10-15 hrs I am way under training .I'm gunna double my training starting next week . I wanna be the 50 year old with with a 6 pack

18. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    depends what you're training for: endurance events need the hours. I'm not a body builder type - but what I hear, a lot less hours for bulking up. Maybe check out The 4 Hour Body, as mentioned below.

19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Has anyone tried the " four hour body "?

20. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Basically all these newer diets (Paleo, South Beach, can't think of the latest but the Doc uses the word diobesity) are to my eyes variations on Adkins Ideas. Some say eat a little fruit and whole grains but the basic idea that without carbs and sugars you body will eat fat instead of storing it is still there. Identifying the real culprit: sugar and carbs that your body produces insulin to counter is another key point he drew attention to. Adkins got such a bad rap because he upset the low-calorie low-fat establishment that nobody wants to make reference to him.

I've been doing adkins for 13 years now and lost 40 lbs and have kept it off.

What do you want when you eat a steak and some broccoli? NOTHING!

What do you want when you eat pasta? more pasta.

21. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

Yep. I do it every day. :D

Though I do make exceptions for holidays (pie!) and on my wedding day I ate a bunch of cake. But otherwise, no sugar or carbs.

btw, my brother lost at least 35 pounds this way with NO EXERCISE.

22. ASFJr

ASFJr Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2004
    SF, CA & NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Alfonso Faustino
    Yes. Sugar ain't my thing -- I don't have any sugar in my diet; of course, unless it's an added ingredient in other foods I eat, like bread.

My yearly sugar intake is really really minimal.

Now, potato crisps (aka: chips) -- that's another thing -- it doesn't have to be salted; I just love the taste of potato crisps.

23. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ate a whole chocolate bunny yesterday.

24. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I don't want to leave my friend sugar completely. Cutting it down is okay, and it is definitely helpful, but to go cold turkey, no way!

:)
    BT

25. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    I want to try The Rosedale Diet. Probably buy the book this year.

Trustworthy source says it & other things have helped