Count Giovanni Volpi on creating the Breadvan and GTO (excellent read for collectors) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Count Giovanni Volpi on creating the Breadvan and GTO (excellent read for collectors)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by CDM, Aug 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ...and THAT my friends, is the closest thing we may ever get to sitting down for a chat with Enzo......

Thanks so much for sharing that. I was aware of parts of that story but certainly not all of it!

That is some spot on advice, he offered.

On the cars.

On the racing.

On the planes.

On the yachts.

On the women.

EXCELLENT observation on Lemans..."working at home...let the cards fall as they may.....", that's exactly what happens......

The observation on planes over Vietnam is accurate as well, from those I know who were there.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THAT. When a WISE ONE talks, you'd better sit still, and listen.

2. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    His comments on charity and giving also echo Jay Leno's MSN interview...

"The best thing....ahhhhhh, I see some kid admiring it, and wave him over, at let him sit in the driver's seat and turn the wheel....that's the NEXT generation of enthusists..."

That's hitting the nail, right on the head, man.......sweet!

That's why I quit taking so many pictures.....the picture from the top of the mountain, can never match the VIEW from the top of the mountain, ya know????

3. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Bravo, and Thank You!!

4. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    I deeply appreciate the kind reception board posters have shown to my old friend. Giovanni, I think, is checking this tread from time to time, so he hears your words. Let us hope your generous compliments inspire him to share additional knowledge of the era.

From my files, I just posted in RACING section, Giovanni's letter to Time Magazine, circa 2001, with his comments about the comparison of Schumacher and Fangio. If you follow F1, I think you will find his words very insightful. Actually, the letter is also from the director of the movie, Chariots of Fire, who Giovanni hired to make a documentary of Fangio.

Anticipating your question, yes I have a copy of "Fangio", but it can only be seen in my home ie I can not make copies or loan it out due to licensing restrictions. Maybe following a Crystal Cove meeting......I live nearby.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks again, Gary.......the car was awesome, at last year's FFQC......

6. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Gary...

I hope Giovanni is reading all this and indeed WILL share his incredible lifes stories. To F car nuts like us, its like manna from heaven and we are all HUNGRY! Fantastic stories and viewpoint.

I have a copy of "Fangio". Great picture on the greatest driver to ever race. Fangio has been my top hero since I was a kid, and he retired from racing 9 years before my birth!

Terry

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Count Volpi... If you're reading this... Please know that when i've the means, 2819 GT will be mine and she will once again run free on the streets and highways of the US... :)

8. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    1961. GP of Germany. Nurburgring. Standing in the Ferrari pits with Giovanni. We're both 25.
    GV spots Fangio up in the second story VIP "greenhouse" overlooking the finish line. You need a badge that says "God" or "Disciple" to enter.
    GV: Have you met Fangio?.
    Me: No.
    GV: Come on, well go meet him.
    Up the stairs, GV (unbeknownst to me, one of Fangio's former employers ) introduced me to Fangio (who does not speak English).
    Guy Medatega (?) a world class polo player is interpreting.
    GV, also a professional photographer, then fades into the background and takes several photos of me with Fangio.
    Later I receive them in the mail at my air base in Germany.
    GV is that kind of thoughtful person. He arranged my photo with the greatest race driver of all time.
    At the time, I didn't know of GV's fame, fortune, noble title or racing credentials.
    I thought he was just some nice kid in need of a shave who was my age and who seemed to like jet airplanes and taking photos.

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That's so awesome...!!!

10. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I didn't mean to suggest that you actually buy it-- I was using you as an example of someone who would closely guard its history and respect its integrity.

IMHO, this is one example of an automobile that would be better off sitting in a garage (fully intact) than being 'restored' to 'original condition and matching numbers'. Hopefully it falls into the right hands.

C.

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i did... i don't have much class... :) i called him right up and said, "You should buy it!"...

12. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm suprised you didn't show up on his doorstep at 4am with the suggestion written across your backside-- a simple phone call IS showing a bit of restraint on your part.

;)

C.

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i didn't have the money for a plane ticket at the time... :)

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If I felt comfortable sitting in it I would have seriously considered buying it but I am at the point where I almost can't drive all the cars I own and I really don't want to own something that I won't have the time to drive.

CMY thanks for saying I'd be the right kind of person to own the Breadvan.
    I appreciate that you feel that way.
    Best

NNO on a serious note I pray our friends are ok in New Orleans.

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Me too... John Suarez and Kelly Vince have posted in the Louisianna forum, so they're both relatively okay... Kelly called me this afternoon... John Houghtaling is in Florida, so hopefully he's okay... No word on Franco, Richard Thompson, Dave Goldman, Dan, etcetera... i've tried calling them all, but to no avail - it seems like all LA numbers are out...

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Great thread :)

17. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Can somone please post a picture of this car?

THANKS!!!

Bob Z.

18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #43 134282, Sep 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  20. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #45 FarmerDave, Sep 1, 2005
    I think that Bob Z. was asking for pictures of the "Anastasia" car...

Mr. Barnhill, or anyone else, do you know if this is the car that Count Volpi is referring to as "Anastasia"?

Bizzarini's personal Boano 250 (2053GT) which was later rebodied again by Drogo:
    http://www.portalbasico.com/subwebs/bizzarrini/
    http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/2053GT.250GT.htm
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=253134&postcount=8

Or,

Does Anastasia refer to 2643GT?
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28478
    http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/2643GT.250GT.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    [Ignorant response to Dave's post deleted... Nevermind!]

22. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #47 FarmerDave, Sep 1, 2005
    Wayne and I have been trading PM's and are now almost certain that 2053 was never a Boano, rather, it was a SWB to begin with. The Bizzarrini site that I referenced is most likely in error.

I think Wayne and I are in agreement that 2053 is the "Anastasia" car that the Count mentions.

Always nice to have a nickname for a car, especially one that is so unique. :)

23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #48 134282, Sep 1, 2005
    2053 GT...! Another favorite of mine...! Wayne, how certain are you that 2053 GT is Anastasia...?

i knew a woman named Anastasia a few years ago... She was stunning... Just like the car...

24. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    2053 GT definitely started life as a 250 GT SWB... However, Ferrari used SEVERAL cars as GTO prototypes, and at least one was a Boano...

25. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Just going by the Count's description. Never heard the nickname used for a GTO prototype before this thread.

It'll be interesting when 2053 makes her reappearance. I wonder if she will do so with a new SWB body or the Drogo one? Personally, I love the rough, cobbled-together look of the GTO prototype body. Too bad it's long gone.