Count Giovanni Volpi on creating the Breadvan and GTO (excellent read for collectors) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Count Giovanni Volpi on creating the Breadvan and GTO (excellent read for collectors)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by CDM, Aug 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Re: 2053,

Where is the GTO proto body, or when was it destroyed?

Is the drogo body the one pictures in Carbon's post below? (absolutely stunning).

Where is the car now?

--Dan

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Dan, it was removed very early on and replaced with a standard SWB body. I would only assume that it was junked.

Yep, that's it.

I believe it's in Belgium. There are people who post on this board that have probably seen (and possibly photographed?) this car in its present state, but I'm sure they will remain silent.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Thanks Wayne - I hope the car reappears in the Drogo body.

Carbon, (or anyone else) - any more pictures of the car in said Drogo clothing? One of the few Drogo designs I consider aesthetically pleasing.

--Dan

PS: Am I the only one who thinks of "Droogs" from clockwork orange when I hear / see "Drogo"!?! (Maybe that says too much about me. :D)

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Reappearance...? What...? The car was destroyed... What reappearance do you speak of...? A replica...? Do tell...

Dan, just a moment...

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
  6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Gerald and i were just talking about this car a little while ago... He asked me if i think this car is more beautiful than a GTO... i told him i didn't feel comfortable answering... :D

But, yes, i do... :)

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Thanks Carboner. Bloody christ that nose is hideous. But the rest of the car, esp. the profile and rear 3/4 are absolutely sumptuous. I like how the rear line (from the profile shot) cuts back in, reminds me of the Shelby coupe (imo on eof the nicest designs).

--Dan

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    After looking at the pictures more, my worthless opinion is that it would be a shame if the car were rebuilt as an SWB (which I love, mind you) instead of this Drogo body. Here's to hoping that someone in Belgium feels the same way.

--Dan

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i'm right there with you - but i think i missed something... From what i understand, the car was destroyed, so who is going to "rebuild" it and with what...?

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Look at your own image of the car following the accident at Spa in '64. What do you see? A pile of dust? "Destroyed" cars have been resurrected from much less:

http://www.pirro.com/All.Ferraris/250-tr-0720tr/index.html

11. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    So no one knows what happened to this car after the accident? It couldn't possibly have been left in this shape for 40 years. I'm sure it was rebuilt into something back in the day.

-steve

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yeah, but you and i have discussed this before... You've said yourself that the car was destroyed... Is there new information that you're privy to...?

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    NNO,

The rumors have been around for a long time. No proof that I'm aware of though.

Art S.

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    News to me... But i'm intrigued nonetheless...

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    From what I understand, it has not been rebuilt. What I don't know, though, is to what extent it might have been pillaged and how much remains.

Carbon, nothing in particular, just the sum of other conversations here and there.

16. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

Certainly not my taste, but I would rather have it rebuilt with the Drogo body than yet another "standard" SWB...

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Absolutely...!

18. Katalis

Katalis Rookie

Jul 1, 2005
    It's great to have photos like these CDM. Can you identify some of the guys in your pix?

Reminds me of a trip I made to Australia in the early 70's and on the way to a motorcylce race I saw Agostini and his crew at a motel working on their 3 cylinder MV Augustas. Ago was in an undershirt, a bit heavy and looking like he was hung over. I have lost those pix but memories like these are invaluable.

19. 328KNB

328KNB Karting

Jun 14, 2004
    That is without doubt the most incredible post I have EVER seen on this site. Not only is it an incredible bit of history but also puts our passion for the red cars in perspective.

Count, I salute you.

20. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Absolutely Fantastic! I could have sat on my couch all night reading this stuff. The Count really needs to write a book on his experiences. History, Cars, Women and advices...absolutely a great read.

21. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I just picked up the latest issue of Forza. While reading through the issue I came across a sidebar article about Piero Drogo. In the article the author mentions the Breadvan as an altered 250 GTO #2819. There still seems to be a lot of erroneous information being written about this car.

22. eurperules

eurperules Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    belgium
    Full Name:
    stijn quintyn
    wonderfull thread, and a truly inspiring letter!

it completely changed my view on the high end of the classic car market. it's so true, you can buy the car, but you can not buy its history.
    the history lies with the men who raced and designed these beauties.

it's a shame that in these days, where racing and collecting cars are mostly hard fought businesses, there is no more place for individuals like mr volpi or mr bizzarrini.

they were the ones whose lifestyles and opinions created such a wonderfull era. that's why we are now all so intrigued by these cars

thanks for sharing

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Every so often its good to remember that its about the people even more than about the cars. Thank you all.

24. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Mr. G., is it your height, leg length, or? You look pretty slim in photos!

Just curious...

25. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    I sat in the Breadvan some time ago and I'm 1.88m tall. I didn't fit... :(
    The car is very, very low!

Alwin Hietbrink made a new seat for Mr. Werner, which differs a lot, but still the car is very tight.
    Good to see the car is winning races with Mr. Werner behind the wheel!