Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 636 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Frozen Countach.

Here's a rarely seen 88.5 RHD Downdraft spotted in London recently, Bleu Acapulco with dark blue interior leather piped in dark red with dark red carpets.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ken qv, Spyder-Man and Rupie like this.
  2. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Unusual spec. Car was originally Acapulco blue with blue piped purple with purple carpets. Blue piped red with red carpets? Old like to see a photo of it. Where is the photo from?

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    This Countach is still Bleu Acapulco and completely original I believe, IIRC from seeing this car when it was new, what you describe as 'purple' is dark red or bordeaux, I suppose it could be described as purple, people used to describe my ex-Mimran Bordeaux Speciale Downdraft as purple.

The image is from Joe Macari's Service Center, 249-251 Merton Rd, London SW18.

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ciro Izzo and ken qv like this.
  5. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Nope, both piping and carpets both definitely purple.

6. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Don't think I would be over happy at it being left out overnight especially at sub zero temps if it had gone for a service.

7. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    I’m hoping the customer dropped it off parked there.

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No, that's a recent-era non-original re-trim.

That's clearly evident from:

- The typical modern thick matte leather as used for seats, center console and dashboard, very unlike the original thin shiny dark blue standard leather.
    - The seat insert padding was originally much more full, in the case of this re-trim you can see the looseness of the leather of the seat inserts, and, an incorrect seat insert design without the split seam like the original seat insert design.
    - The exposed fitment tab beneath the passenger air vent which originally upholstered beneath the carpets.
    - Poor fitment of the fore section of the lower center console, even the factory would not have done this in period, clearly that unit has been removed and poorly refitted.
    - Carpet mats without the rubber heel pads [unless those ore over-mats].

FWIW the re-trimmed interior seems to have black or dark grey piping, not purple piping as you state.

Moral of the story - there are many Countach interiors that have been refurbished and restored to a state that looks nothing like their original application when new.

See below, another UK RHD 88.5 Countach's original well-preserved interior as imaged in recent times which illustrates most of the points I've made above.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Robert, this UK RHD 88.5,s seat illustrates the correct seat insert design with the split seam design, and the fullness of the seat insert padding, this applies wether the seats were done by Paratelli or the outsource people.

This is the driver's seat of the ex-Gerald Carroll Downdraft, even after 34 years of use, you can see how the seat's form & finish remains.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Forgot to mention another item which underscores the re-done interior: missing seat belt clip-in stalk, any original interior will be showing this in place.

Meanwhile, in my misspent youth as a new Countach owner, I used to go down to George Street in London to visit Mike Perry every Saturday morning just to see which shiny new Countach/s had arrived from the factory ready to be delivered, I recall this car with the interior livery as I mentioned above, the dark blue interior was similar to Rod Stewart's JLA12256's interior except his car was piped in white trim, you can see the leather the factory typically used was dark blue and shiny, not matte and medium blue.

Ciro Izzo and EarlyCat like this.
  11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    One last example of an in-period 88.5 interior is the special-order ex-Kaiser JLA12292 we perviously sold, again it illustrates the leather type and upholstery design etc. imaged here as the interior has survived to this day.

Ciro Izzo likes this.
  12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Speaking of Countach upholstery (a subject which holds not inconsiderable fascination for me), Bruno Paratelli is still doing a few interiors, not inexpensively as one might imagine, but I'd recommend him if you wish to say you have the best done correctly by the original maker.

If one cares to pay a visit to him in Ferrara, a few trade secrets can be revealed, for the seat width of the Countach is less accommodating than that of the Miura as it's only 44 cm, whereas the seat width of Miura is 48 cm, the reason is the Countach's seats are slimmer is the width of the side sills and center console.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #15889 joe sackey, Dec 27, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    LC3929 likes this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    LC3929, Tenney, em42 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Wonderful to still have him around and in business. Alas time will catch us all up one day and these skills and passions will be lost. I hope he has an apprentice or two!
    R

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Well-said, however if you have an original Paratelli interior in your car absolutely preserve it, even he sometimes has to use the bulky modern leather that customers bring him and insist on using to retrim their cars.

Spyder-Man likes this.
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ciro Izzo likes this.
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  23. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Joe, thank you so much for putting so much effort into 3 or 4 or 5 posts, illustrating the problem with this thread perfectly IMHO. I’m not convinced that the Sultan of Brunei ordered the car in blue with a tinge of purple with a blue interior piped dark red with dark red carpets (rather than blue with a tinge of purple with blue piped purple or even blue or even black with purple carpets) but hey, I’m sure we will all sleep soundly despite this uncertainty. I do like a guy who is passionate about the right interior specifications - bravo.

24. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    those seats after restoration are a work of art

Spyder-Man and joe sackey like this.
  25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    My pleasure, over the holidays I have time to post away.

Isn't the car simply the standard Bleu Acapulco PPG 2.463.924? If so, it isn't the only Countach in Bleu Acapulco with a dark blue leather interior, and I've seen dark red used dark red leather and carpeting used on other RHD Downdrafts FWIW.

Your logic makes sense, but period Countach livery combinations never surprise me, remember the RHD Downdraft in Bianco Perlato with a peppermint green interior, or the RHD 25th in Viola with a red interior? Do you have factory documentary proof that the car's original interior was carpeted and piped in Viola? I must confess I don't I (although I could get it if it really matters), but at least we know the interior in the image that you posted is not original.