Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 138 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks Alex!

Yes, we have the paint mixed, because you know I'm going to damage the car! :)

I think your car is an exceptional testament to your ability to use it judiciously and take care of it. Its often all about the particular owner. Bravo. You have a great car and your car has you!

I agree with you, I have never been a fan of films, and none of our contemporary cars has any film. TBH, I'm one of those people who is totally unfazed by stone-chips & road rash, I really don't care because I know I can always repaint it.

2. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    John,

Lacquer? :eek:

Why on earth would I do that when I can use Urethane? :D

As we posted about earlier, a restoration should include modern materials so the next lifespan is longer! That's the whole point.

I agree with you 100%, modern paints can be very resilient, and if you take care of your car the way Alex does, it'll last a long time!

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #3428 joe sackey, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a Downdraft images 27 years ago at the Northern Classic Car Show at the G-Mex Exhibition Centre, Manchester in August 1989.

UK-registered E 216 VOV, my notes tell me it is ZA90005A0JLA12257 (or should that be HLA?), first registered November 1987.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you for this thoughtful post!

They say 'Necessity is the Mother of Invention', so, I guess I'm in the restoration and restoration-management business! :)

As regards the Mimran Countach Downdraft, everything is being done under my watchful eye, I am participating in every aspect of the restoration, making joint decisions with the restorer, and nothing happens without my approval or say-so. Anything I don’t like the look of gets re-done! I think the car will turn out okay...

I cannot thank the restorer and his team enough for the experience they have provided. Some of the well-deserved words I might use to describe him & his team are: helpful, hard-working, talented, reliable, efficient & honest. These are some of the characteristics of the much-talked-about and ever-elusive true restoration.

I'd like to add that a true restoration is carried out in a clean orderly environment, where the restoration can be efficiently planned & managed, parts are treated respectfully and not tossed about on the floor in a heap. Images of dirty components showing substandard work only speaks for the restorer's work, so a true restoration will in fact present itself in the form of pretty pictures as it progresses. I hope that makes sense.

Many people know that I was involved in restorations for myself years ago with a handful my own cars, and those of many of my clients. Lets say its common-knowlege in the community what happened there, all carefully documented, as a fair number of FChatters can bear witness to. Let’s also just say that this is a totally different experience, and I dare say the future face of classic Lamborghini restorations in the USA. Your private comment that "I'm so happy that the Lamborghini community is getting your expertise on what a correct restoration should be like for these cars, Integrity and correctness will help others to come to this community" could not be more well-stated. This is not about me, its about doing the right thing for the cars & the community.

Lastly, I received another communication today which I will share without mentioning any names and it simply said: "I have never seen such a well-documented restoration. To top it off, the photos aren’t taken amongst a disaster work-space, rather everything is clean, labeled and organized. LOVE IT!"

What more can I say?

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #3430 joe sackey, Jul 21, 2016
  6. BBoyJmE

BBoyJmE Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jimmy Nahlous
    Aren't the angular lines of the taillight just beautiful??? ahh man.. never liked the US taillight cover, the flush taillights surrounded by the chamfered bodywork is just gorgeous!

7. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    I know someone crazy enough to paint in lacquer... (we have to love him) LOL : )

8. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    I have been around restorations my entire life and I don't think I have ever seen one performed with such precision. The facility and process look like something out of a hospital.

Thank you for taking this type of attention on such an important car. You have raised the bar!!

So excited to see the car in its final glory!!!!!

9. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Yes the attention to detail and the enthusiasm shared is really paying off. This DD will surly be the nicest example in the world once complete. Bravo!

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Rich it was so good to finally meet you on Tuesday and show you the car in person. I hope you are enjoying California! Thank you for your kind words BTW.

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes indeed!

Please convey my very best regards to him, its been a long time...

12. christiann

christiann Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    you took the words right out of my mouth. could not have said it any better. my black/black downdraft will be right behind Joe's car for a restoration. it could not be any better timing. thanks again to all who have made dreams come true

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I have also been around restorations for a long time, and believe me I have seen it all!

The initial goal was simply to do the car justice, but its turned into the provision of a facility for classic Lamborghini restorations in the USA, a means by which owners can restore with confidence and know that the process will be well-planned & timely, the work quality will be good, and they will be treated with the respect they deserve.

As they say, pictures say a thousand words, and they don't lie.

Thank you for your kind words John, coming from you they mean a lot as I know you have a good eye for detail.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #3439 joe sackey, Jul 22, 2016
    I will be stopping by regularly to see it move along, as I do for any of my clients who has a project ongoing, if requested.

FYI there is another Downdraft there (that was restored elsewhere and needs TLC) so there are 3 DDs in one place. There is also a stellar LP400S which is starting a full restoration, so the shop is expanding to meet a clear demand.

As regards the Downdraft, we have established finishes & details with the Mimran car, so I'm happy to have set a precedent that all others benefit from.

I can't wait to see your engine turn out like this below.

15. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables

So no "garage floor rash" at this facility?!

16. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #3441 cnpapa24, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Joe,

Seeing this work first hand was truly spectacular. Everything done to a meticulous level of detail and quality. I simply can't fathom how anyone can do a better job. I am very fortunate to have my S3 in such capable hands and overseen by a fastidious and watchful eye. It's one thing to say you want it done to exacting standards; it's another to be able to execute it.

Truly a game changing and invaluable resource to the Lamborghini community.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #3442 joe sackey, Jul 23, 2016
    Thank you for your kind words Chris, people who strive hard to do the right thing need recognition so I want to give the credit to the restorer and his team.

Ultimately its all about doing right for the cars and the community of people who invest their enthusiasm & money in the hobby.

If I can play a small part in improving standards and being a resource, I'm happy to do it.

Meanwhile 8 months in and its getting there...

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #3443 joe sackey, Jul 23, 2016
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #3444 joe sackey, Jul 23, 2016
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #3445 joe sackey, Jul 23, 2016
    One of the nicest original DDs was seen at Mistral Dreams in Italy a few years ago, image posted in another thread a few years ago by Emilio

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    James arrives & departs @ a California event

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM6RzDhucgs[/ame]

22. Ciro Izzo

Ciro Izzo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2005
    #3447 Ciro Izzo, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    To have a 3rd party with as much experience as Joe cures many possible challenges when restoring a specific model such as a Countach. There are two reasons to use a third party when restoring a car.

One would be if you lost trust in the restorer after numerous broken promises etc.

The other would be ( like in this case) to help the restorer keep things correct and on track.
    This is what we need ! I'm sure there are Countach owners who have a car wondering what to do for restoration out there. Well good news for you. Reputable CHOICES are now part of the Lambo world . I for one am EXTREMELY enthused by this . Someone had to step up, I was wondering who it would be , can take that one off the plate !

I really respect George and others so this is not a hit on them. If you have ever driven a DD with an Evans built motor, you will experience "perma grin"!

This is about choices ! Betters the community ! And one can arguably say that Lamborghini is just as much or more important to the "younger" demographic than Ferrari. We are witnessing the beginning of the future in the shift of the worlds most important automotive "dream" brands. And we need reputable support for that !

23. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #3448 cnpapa24, Jul 23, 2016
  24. Luis A.

Luis A. Karting

Jul 14, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Joe,

Looks gorgeous. What is the finish on the carbs?

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great pic.

This is HLA12044, Ticino-registered in Switzerland.

It has spacers in the wheels, and some other mods.