Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 293 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Was an amazing time. The new Pagani factory is spectacular. Looks like an Italian Piazza. Ferrari was least exciting, although I did rent a Huracan and had a great time flying around back country roads with some people in an F12.

The Lamborghini factory is ever changing and growing. Spent several hours going through all aspects of the factory. The new Urus facility is massive. Interesting to see the Centenario being built along the same line as the Aventador. Dozens of Performante’s ready to be shipped. Factory is very automated now, robots named Roberto running around with v12 motors.

2. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Valentino is a class act. Lamborghini is his heart and soul, and if he could I get the feeling he’d still be working there today. We did discuss your business relationship briefly, and he spoke fondly of driving your Countach. He doesn’t seem to share your thoughts on the Homologation of the DD, referring to it as “meaningless”. He was also quite specific in stating that the fuelie Countach makes more power than the DD at mid to high rpm. He said that at the factory the mechanics preferred working on the DD as it was less complex and easier for them to tune. In his words, a Countach is a Countach , they are all uniquely special.

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #7303 joe sackey, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    FIA Homologation is truly meaningless to people that don't own a car that was FIA Homologated, its actually a moot point to them, but to those who own a car that was FIA Homologated (say @ 300 Downdraft owners), it does means something. The status quo will always be that people who own FIA Homologated cars are the ones who value the FIA Homolgation, and we don't expect any different!
    You can clearly see the effect of FIA Homologation in the hearts & minds of enthusiasts in the Porsche & the Ferrari world, and it is indisputable that it translates to desire & value, because to those who appreciate or 'get' it, the Certification underscores or speaks to the manufacturer's intent for the car. Some people just love the Motorsports linkage that the FIA Homologation conveys, and that's enough for them. I have a client who has a collection of @ a dozen cars all of which are factory FIA Homologated cars as one of the criteria. A prime example of the impact of the FIA Homologation lies with the 288 GTO whose @ 272 owners love the fact that these cars are FIA Homologated, and it makes the car more special to them. I believe the FIA Homologation is one of the things that has made these cars become much more valuable in recent years. Anyone astute will note that FIA Homologated 1975 930s are much more valuable than the 1976 or 1977 cars, for example. In conclusion, unless you own a Downdraft, I say, don't worry about the FIA Homologation and it's value, or lack thereof. That said, trying to get Downdraft owners who think the FIA Homologation is meaningful to them to change their minds is completely futile.

As regards power, we are getting @ 415 bhp for a standard unmodified Fuelie and @ 455 bhp for a standard Downdraft, so, we look forward to exploring your claim that Valentino asserts that the Fuelie Countach makes more power than the DD at mid to high rpm, because our findings are exactly the opposite. Ever the diplomat, I won't be surprised if he denies he ever said that! Regardless, when I speak to him next, I'll ask him to verify his thoughts and expand on this, then, I'll speak with the man responsible for both variants of engine, Chief Engineer Luigi Marmiroli himself, to see what light he can shed in terms of raw data & material to supplement what he already has supplied to me. As you know, this is a topic we love to debate in this thread, and we don't need much encouragement!

As regards tuning, I do agree with Valentino that the Downdraft is is less complex and easier to tune, that much is obvious and debunks the often-parroted theory to the contrary, as I have been asserting for years.

Lastly, regarding a Countach being a Countach, well, that's a fair
    generalization, but, the different variants from LP400 to 25th are in fact very different, with that being the operative word. If a guy comes to me looking for a Countach, I can't sell him any Countach and say 'a Countach is a Countach'! I have to know what specific variant he is looking for. I guess the point I want to make is we need to get over this pervasive notion that because the virtue of Downdrafts are being extolled in the Downdraft thread somehow means other variants are being disparaged. I don't see Periscopa owners ever get defensive or insecure, for example. We all need to be able to appreciate the Downdraft for the amazing car it is, whether we own one or not, if we here are in a thread created to do just that! That said, I love all Countachs, despite the indisputable fact that they were not all created equal, and that much is something I think we can all accept in a mature way.

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    FWIW , I went ahead and reached out to Ing. Luigi Marmiroli, and asked him to send us the original factory performance data sheets for the Countach LP 112D motore L507 V4, both Carburatori & Iniezione. This way, we will have the original horsepower & torque data for both the Downdraft and Fuelie throughout the revs range, and can compare what's going on @ mid to high rpms.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Do you have more photos of the Salon De Bruxelles?

6. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Looks like it needs some TLC. Just curious, do you have the VIN?

7. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    I like Valentinos jacket! It´s a period 90s jacket from 1996-1997 when Lamborghini did driving courses for customers on race tracks.

8. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Seems you´re speaking about #1121030 :)

9. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
  10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Sadly I don't, although I have posted some of the 88.5 Brussels Salon car in the thread.

;)

Robert noted the chassis number way back in the thread, Greg was a good friend and when I had my first Downdraft 30 years ago, I would look after this car for him as well, at the time the car was UK-registered E 734 KYL, fond memories.

I asked for the VIN previously and don't recall if it was shared or not, sorry I'm not in a location where I can be too helpful with these questions.

11. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    yes, i am not from the UK but i did see it one year ago or so in person

i also had pics before last 2 owners : the car was wingless few years ago (wing is not a QV one), wheels were not gold also

12. jb21

jb21 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    #7312 jb21, Oct 21, 2017
    Not this again...

Of course it's meaningless at one level to have FIA, since a piece of paper does nothing to change the experience of driving the car. But if you had two identical cars sitting next to each other offered at the same price and one had been used to homologate and one had not, why wouldn't you choose the FIA car? So this is only ever an argument about what the price differential should be for FIA, which is only one of many things that go into deciding what people pay for their cars. It's boring for most of us, since it's just a matter of opinion and the current market, which none of us can control. Let's get back to learning and driving...

13. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris

I look forward to the day you’re peddling Maserati biturbos due to their homologation.

But hey, don’t shoot the messenger. The guy you entrust with flying to the four corners of the world to inspect vehicles on your behalf, the guy you needed to come inform you that you were driving around with a disconnected speedometer/odometer because you yourself didn’t notice offered up the information I’m sharing. Their was no premise to our discussion on motors, simply a discussion on both motors positives and negatives.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thoughts?

Exactly.

Whilst many cars of insignificance were FIA Homologated, I have noted for many years that FIA Homologated examples of the more iconic Supercar types of car really benefit in value from this Certification because (as I have explained before) it speaks to the manufacturer's regard for the car's ability, and their intent. If nothing else, that Motorsports linkage is undeniably cool to owners, and as we know, people pay up for cool stuff, just because, well, its cool.

Hope you are well, and GLA12942 too.

15. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Listen it may not matter to you. FIA is the icing on that cake really and not the focal point in my eyes. It does means the factory had much more confidence in racing this engine over the FI unit. Also greater to the point is the fact that the engine is unique and last of its kind, truly special no matter what you keep saying. (4v, 4 cam, DD Carbs) They are stronger, ask the mechanics and look at the dynos its indisputable.

There are a 100,000 FI V12 on the planet from many many many different manufacturers. Shouldn't this have been posted in the general Countach section?

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #7316 joe sackey, Oct 21, 2017
    Your absence on this thread for quite a while until yesterday was marked by peaceful discourse week after week :D now you're back, and here we go again :rolleyes:

My Private Treaty business is somewhat specialized and I just focus just on the Vintage & the Supercars I like, own or have owned, because this way I can help my clients better, so nary a Maserati crosses my desk http://www.instagram.com/joesackeyclassics and I plan to keep it that way ;)

Allow me to describe what Valentino does for me & my clients, as you seem a bit confused. What he does is drive the car a not inconsiderable distance over a number of miles, and report back what is happening with the car as it drives, exactly as he did at the Lamborghini factory for @ 30 plus years, and exactly as he did for our ex-Mimran Downdraft. His invaluable post-drive report consists of list of corrections of perhaps 3-5 items that require adjustment or repair. Whenthe cars were new at the factory, sometimes he had to test-drive cars 2 or 3 times till there was nothing else that remained to be corrected. When he test-drove our car, Chris Dugan believes in fact that the speedo became in-operational during that drive because it was working prior for Chris. Valentino caught the in-operational speedo as well as a few other things that were subsequently rectified, all exactly as planned. If you know anything at all about a full restoration, once the car is complete, there is a period of time where you road-test the car and return to make fettling adjustments & repairs, just like what happened at the factory when the cars were new after being built.

The interesting thing about your comments is, you as a Countach owner should know they are somewhat fragile things, as every Countach owner knows! Are you seriously asking us to belive that there has never been anything at all become in-operational on your Countach? The last time we saw a pic of your Countach on the Internet, was it not being towed away on a flatbed? :rolleyes:;)

BTW Valentino is a charming diplomat and always seeks to make everyone happy, and I am 100% certain he will never go on public record to affirm the story you are asking us to believe that he said that the Fuelie is more powerful than the Downdraft at mid-to-high stage of the rev range. If indeed he believes that to be a truth, he will have no problem affirming it in writing when I ask him to when I ask him to kindly do so for an upcoming article, as with other things he has done for me upon request - stay tuned and we'll see how he responds. BTW, the notion that a less powerful engine with less torque and a more restrictive ancillary system can be more powerful @ mid-to-upper end of the rev range is, well, absolutely hilarious! :D Frankly, it's BS, and personally, I don't believe he said any such thing. That or something was lost in translation or explanation. I'll soon receive the original performance DGMs (I already have the basic numbers) and we can put your theory to rest.

This might be a good time to review the 3 indisputable facts that separate the Downdraft from other variants:
    - The Downdraft is the most powerful factory variant of the Countach, documented.
    - The Downdraft is the only Supercar of any make with a V12 4-valve carbureted engine, documented.
    - The Downdraft is the only Countach variant the factory chose to FIA Homologate, documented.

Even if you pretend these things mean nothing, that's okay, many people, owners included, think they are fantastic attributes.

On that note, I've said it before and I'll say it again, by your presence here alone, you come across a guy who really wants & needs Downdraft, no matter what you say in denial, so far as you are here being all negative rather than positive about the thread's subject, that's my position, and all you do so far is continue to re-affirm it. If anything, you do a great job drawing attention & interest to this fabulous Countach variant ;)

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    In the words of the great Winston Churchill, "You Sir, are correct on both counts!" :)

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Robert W likes this.
  19. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    That is one hell of a shot Joe.

20. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    #7321 rmolke85, Oct 21, 2017
    Wow the P400 and 350GT were FIA homologated, and theres are some 275, 120 cars respectively. Thats very interesting.

21. If it is correct, then this entered Lamborghini's mind first in 1967 & the QV in 1988, although it does not say carbed or fuel injected. Possibly just the entire range of QV?

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The Homologation meant the Miura P400 could be raced, as it was by Anatoly Arutunoff in SCCA in the USA for example, and others in South America and Europe. It also tells you how Messrs Dallara and Wallace felt about the car, but I don't think Ferruccio was pleased.

23. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Joe said Countach variant, not Lamborghini variant. The significance of the FIA group B homologation to me is who Lamborghini viewed as their competition at the time. Group B was huge in the mid 80s and all of the major players saw the importance of it: Porsche with their 959 and Ferrari the GTO, of course. Whether or not Lamborghini had plans to race the Downdraft is irrelevant to me; that they saw some importance in doing so from a competitive standpoint is more interesting as part of the history of the battle of the supercars. As an enthusiast, it may be important to some more than others as is the case with many things in the collector car world.

FWIW, most of the cars I own are FIA homologated and it means different things for each one of them. With the Downdraft, it is one piece of the story that makes it a special Countach variant.

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #7325 joe sackey, Oct 21, 2017
    Only the Downdraft.

FIA Homologation documents # B - 291 for the "Carburatori" QV including Downdraft engine pages posted on page one (1) of this thread.