Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 302 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I think your making a lot of assumptions on restorations. I'm sure Chris has to order bolts or get them from somewhere, like Fastenal, and not every bolt came from Lamborghini.

Sometimes I really regret sticking my neck out to help you.

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed, not everything comes from Lamborghini, of course.

Fastenal is a specialized source, quite different from one's local Walmart.

I think I did a fair job of very respectfully making the point that some may choose to source NOS components.

I don't make lots of assumptions on restorations, at least not with the ones I'm directly involved with.

I do appreciate you trying to help, as I posted.

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  4. 97diablo

97diablo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
    Looking for help please. I need brake pads for my 1985 DD. Where can I get them? Thanks in advance.

5. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    joe sackey likes this.
  6. judealexander

judealexander Karting

Aug 4, 2006

Joe and EarlyCat,

Interestingly enough, the driver side rear reflector was missing when I purchased FLA12824. However, Richard at Competizione and Sportscars, was able to locate new OEM Carello reflectors for me. While the Walmart piece may be a red reflector of the same dimensions, and is VERY creative solution, original reflectors should say "Carello", I believe. Attached are before and after shots. Don't hold me to it--not an expert on this stuff in any way--just passing on what I know!

Sincerely,
    J Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

joe sackey and NürScud like this.
  7. judealexander

judealexander Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Joe,

On another note, took FLA12824 out for a brisk drive today as part of a "shakedown" for the engine, transmission, and suspension, post-rebuild. The car prior to the mechanical overhaul was anemic with a tired engine, and down 100 HP. Now, the DD is a snorting beast which leaves me speechless every time I stab the throttle and rocket down the road! Driven quite a few fast cars, but the torque delivered by a carbureted DD is really something otherworldly.

Honestly, the rate at which speed piles on is addicting...and alarming at the same time. I found myself shooting for every gap in traffic, and bearing down on several unwitting Honda drivers in the slow lane. At 6000 RPM in 3rd or 4th gear, the sound and fury was intoxicating, but finally came to my sense at 120 mph and backed off the throttle.

Question is, have you developed a smooth driving style over the years to cope with the torque from your DD's, or are you equally guilty of lurching through traffic? Wonder if Valentino has a fluid driving style... Image Unavailable, Please Login

Best,
    J

joe sackey likes this.
  8. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    Quick question:
    what is the best adhesive to make sure the Carello reflector stays attached forever ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    All I can suggest is contact Chris Dugan, he will be helpful http://www.duganspecialties.com/

Yes, the French Downdraft with the 3rd brake light is an HLA12xxx car, the chassis number noted in this thread, I'm not in a place where I can check it easily.

The other black/tan French-registered Downdraft is the ex-Greg Solomon car, which used to live in my garage when new as Greg would leave it in my care when he was out of the country, I drove it many times, and have posted those images you just posted before. It was UK-registered E 734 KYL when it was in my care (see below, with Portman's detailer), and the chassis number is HLA12187, I hope I got that right by heart.

I think we can all agree that the owner of a Countach should use whatever parts they wish - similar, aftermarket, NOS OEM, whatever works for the individual.

Meanwhile, the Carello stuff is not easy to find, but as you point out, it can still be found.

It's great to hear you are enjoying the car!

I agree the defining characteristic of the Downdraft's drive is the torque's prominence.

When you drive with Valentino, as many who have can attest, he is very smooth with both hands & feet, and his driving style is to wind on the speed as opposed to nailing the throttle - if I'm describing it right. I try to do the same thing, and my feelings with GLA12997's power mirror yours, the torque is truly prodigious.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I haven't had the pleasure of ever answering that question, but whatever you use, you want to make sure that it is an adhesive that won't react with the plastic badly so as to discolor or darken it, as I have seen with a couple of cars recently.

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #7537 joe sackey, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    I believe this is Emilio S's HLA12045, if so, I drove this Downdraft a decade ago from Zurich to St Moritz
    through the Alps, a memorable blast.

I recall it was super-quick, and I found out later via Vale that the engine had been rebuilt in Italy under his auspices.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 97diablo

97diablo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
    Thanks for the info Joe. I'll call him today.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Happy to help, when we were restoring GLA12997, non-OEM pads were suggested but we were warned off them as they can lead to brake disc and eventually suspension issues, either way you're in good hands.

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    those rotors :eek:

far cry from today's pizza tray diameter, vented, cross drilled/slotted rotors.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Indeed, they are from 30 years ago, so you have to plan your braking and use the gearbox, but that's part of the fun of driving these.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  19. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  20. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
  21. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia

;)

ijvpet and joe sackey like this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No, a car in Europe.

FWIW this car has the early dash like your car as shown here versus the late dash https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145365903/ whereas our car has the factory interim dash with air-vents and speaker-holes added to each end https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ5KtdRj5h9/?taken-by=joesackeyclassics

I must get them to correct the model year to 1986!

23. judealexander

judealexander Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Must really be something to go for a drive with Valentino! Oh, should I be so lucky....

24. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    I just can speak about my work, i try to use as much OEM parts as possible.
    Original screws/bolts (in good condition) gets replated in the correct finish, others in bad condition will be exchanged thru screws by the "supplier" würth in the correct plating finish.
    Other fasteners like rivets will be ordered by würth too, they have a lot of stuff which is 99% identical to OEM. Sometimes i´m lucky to find parts on ebay too. It´s time consuming but it´s worth at the end.

joe sackey likes this.
  25. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    This must be the Brivio QV MY88,5 which was or is located in Italy.