Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 331 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  2. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Did the Hong Kong owner take delivery when it was produced ?

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes, I have mentioned "first owner" in a previous post, actually, he ordered the car directly from Ubaldo Sgarzi and took delivery when brand new at the same time as a GTO (he is more of a Ferrari collector) in the fall of 1985, both still have EE plates on them.

4. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Very Cool !!!

joe sackey likes this.
  5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #8255 joe sackey, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Its been just about a year since the car was finally delivered to me post-restoration, so the Mimran Downdraft is back in @ Dugan Specialties today doing an annual service.

We've checked the relays box, checked the fuel filter (clean), checked fuel and oil lines (secure), changed fluids, and adjusted the hand-brake.

The plan is to continue to take care of her with meticulous maintenance as best we can

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I recommend Octane magazine number 179 which comes out at the end of this month, it features an 11-page article on the Countach Downdraft and the 288 GTO as noted on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/OctaneMagazine/

NürScud likes this.
  8. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    So it must be a FLA12xxx car. Sounds interesting! It´s a lhd or rhd?

9. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Beautiful as always Joe!

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Leo, I'm not at liberty to disclose that publicly, but you can always contact me privately

Thank you!

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Joe,...eh....now there is also a Miura "Downdraft"??? o_O

13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Sure, there always has been, and in my very first post of this thread 2-plus years ago, I pointed out that all Miuras had a Downdraft carburetor application, like the subject of the thread.

For purposes of clarification, Downdraft is the description of the type of carburetor used, so as we know you have either Downdraft or Sidedraft application for classic Lamborghinis.

Don't forget, many Ferrari, Maserati and other competition cars of the 50s & 60s had a Downdraft carburetor application, so by the time this single variant of Countach used it after a period of Sidedraft application, it was a case of going back to the tried & true, the proven, so to speak. Those who love the Countach Downdraft possibly do so because they view it as Ingegnere Guilio Alfieri's brilliant return to the original Lamborghini V12 Downdraft concept, a la Miura. FWIW, by original V12 Downdraft concept, I do mean the very first Bizzarrini-designed Lamborghini V12 with Downdraft carburetor application.

With the subject of this thread, we refer to it as Downdraft because it is the only Countach type with this application.

The use of the expression Downdraft for example in the words 'Weber Downdraft' or 'Downdraft carburetor' has become very common in the car world, at least to those who work on the cars. Just peruse a few parts or technical links and you'll see how the expression is used in the automotive world, and not just by Italian car-guys, it can apply to any make or model of car that uses a Downdraft carburetor:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/weber-idf-40s-cfm-anyone.131462/

http://www.brittek.com/weberkit.html

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=weber+downdraft

https://www.northwestimportparts.com/Weber-downdraft-carburetor-rebuild-kit-62-80-d1182.aspx

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #8265 wbaeumer, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Joe, thanks.

I understand then that ALL Miura are "Downdrafts"? So, the correct name of all versions are then P400 Downdraft, S Downdraft and SV Downdraft...
    Well, I stay "old school" - for me they will always be what they were: P400, S and SV, no matter what -today!- an IT-forum, parts dealers and Ebay say.

16. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
  17. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Don't forget to include the Urraco, Silhouette and Jalpa downdrafts...

18. Utilizing a dcnf carb as well.

19. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    All downdrafts, with the Q.V. being the last, the pinnacle and deserving of the one worded nomenclature. And it’s been that way since at least the 90’s.

There’s no denying.

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ...ahhhh - so everything is "Downdraft" today?!

21. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Nice picture. Even the wall's colour is close to the car's!

:)

joe sackey likes this.
  22. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
    Talking about downdrafts, almost every car produced from the twenties until the fuelies became common in the eighties, were downdrafts. All the way from Ford model A, Volvo Amazon, Ferrari 250, Opel Kadett, VW 1200, you name it, they all had downdraft carbs. And most of them got either fuel injection or sidedraft carbs when they were tuned, either by factory or speed shops. Good examples of the fuelies are Mercedes Einspritzmotor in 300 SL and SE versions which made their debut in the fifties. And the Maserati 3500 - 4000, who lost their triple sidedraft Webers for a Lucas injection system. All to get some more power.
    When Bizzarrini constructed his magnificent Europa he let the downdraft go for a set of sidedrafts,
    I do think that one good reason to equip the Lamborghini Quattrovalvole with downdrafts is practicality. The induction pipes would have had to be bent in an awkward way to be able to take the common DCOE:s, which may also have interrupted on the power.

Anyhow, what the reason is, it looks magnificent with six downdraft carbs in a row, not only under the hood of the Countach QV but also between the cylinder heads of the 250, 275 and 365 Ferraris.

By the way I will take part of the LeMans Classic this July in a Downdraft, and I am pretty sure hat I will be beaten by some Sidedrafts.

L-E

23. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    And a YEAR later and taxes have not been paid on it, nor has it been legally and correctly titled and plated in the State of California....State needs their money for you to keep driving it on the Public roads that are built via taxes and registration fees, to just mention a few of the contributions to the roadways. Just think, if everyone did this, you wont have a road to drive on, no money to pay to build the roads. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

24. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen