Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 332 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    The common Holley or carter or commoneeeer Rochester would be cons Downdrafts?,as in two barrel downdraft 74 Malibu

2. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Wow.. i have to say i am more than a little shocked at the lack of basic mechanical knowledge here the last couple of pages.. some people dont even understand downdraft carbs? - what the name means? How it can apply to ANY car if the carb faces down or how the carb doesnt have to be included in the name of the model... gheez

JCR, S_AGATA and joe sackey like this.
  3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Miura monikers remain exactly the same, P400, S or SV.

I was simply drawing attention to the fact that both the Miura & Countach in that image are fed by Downdraft application carburetors, nothing more or less, we don't need to read too much into this, just a fun but factual observation.

Again, the subject of this thread is referred to as the Countach Downdraft as a means of distinguishing it from the other Countach variants, none of which use Downdraft carburetor application, so it's highly appropriate and surely this is not only quite obvious but a very straightforward thing, nothing to be too concerned about. That said, for a guy like you who has been around these cars for so many decades, I'm surprised that this is not already well-understood, however, I'm happy to clarify

I was standing there when that car came off the truck with 2 other new Countachs from Italy when new 30 years ago, fond memories

Awesome, thanks for sharing these, a garage find I suppose!

Around 20 years ago I first saw an Ad referring to a Countach "Downdraft" and my thoughts were that it makes perfect sense, why didn't I think of that?

Let's also not forget that in the free world, we can call our cars whatever we want

Pure coincidence I assure you!

True

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #8279 joe sackey, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Apparently not

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Here is an interesting one: Swiss spec car later converted to RHD, now in Hong Kong (not the delivery-mileage car I was speaking of)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Octane magazine's number 179 features a major 11-page article on the 80s Superstars Countach Downdraft and the 288 GTO.

I've mentioned it on my Instagram page also https://www.instagram.com/p/BgUUcxKlW_o/?taken-by=joesackeyclassics & https://www.instagram.com/p/BgW6kDQFO4f/?taken-by=joesackeyclassics whilst you're on there, take a look around, it speaks to what we do and how we like to do it.

You'll not want to miss this article as I think it'll be one to keep, it comes out at the end of this month in the UK, before it gets distributed internationally.

I just realized this is the 4th Octane magazine cover feature story we have produced in 15 years and we are especially proud of this one, I hope you enjoy it

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud and S_AGATA like this.
  9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    In just over a month it will be 50 years to the day that Valentino Balboni walked into Automobili Ferruccio Lamborghini SpA for the first time as a mechanic's apprentice.

I thought it was time for a replay of our short film where he tells part of the story of those early days, perhaps to remind people of that upcoming date.

If you're not attending the event in his honor, you may choose to send him good wishes & appreciation for the years of work he did putting the final touch on our cars, I know I will

NürScud and cnpapa24 like this.
  10. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    This one is unknown to me, seldom but happens :)

11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ken,
    I was always a driver - not a mechanic!
    I drove Miura SV and Daytona, Porsche RS 2.7, BMW 3.0CSL Lightweight in the 70s as a student, a 512BB in the early 80s - and never heard anybody mentioning the name "Downdraft". Nobody!
    In our days it seems to become quite common to get a name to everything even to something that never had been created under this name or description - and not to mention if useful or not.
    I have to admit: that`s not my cup of coffee!

mt_jt likes this.
  12. Yes. since we are talking carbs, there is one other version not talked about. The updraft. This was used mainly on early cars and tractors.

ken qv and joe sackey like this.
  13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Personally,i like the Downdraft reference to the qv carb version,i also like the fuelie reference to the injected car, that beeing said, not shure i really understand your post,the cars reffered to ,do have carbs wich draws its air from the top,down thru the carb body,then inn to the engine, would this be concidered a Downdraft carb? Also a common Holly 4 or 2 barrel carb is mounted on top of a common American v8,it also draws the air from the top vertically,down thru the carb body,then inn to the inntake manifold,would this be considered a Downdraft carb? If yes and yes, your post is indeed confusing.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Walter, even if you never heard the expression Downdraft from the 70s onwards, remember that many others have and have used it prolifically throughout the automotive world for the past few decades, the latter being the inescapable fact.

Even if you are a conservative person, it's worth considering the expression change is a constant, therefore, being open-minded to new things is a good thing, it makes life easier and you learn more, so, relax and enjoy the ride

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Six Weber 44 DCNF twin-barrel Downdraft carburetors, simply fabulous!

S_AGATA likes this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    BBoyJmE, Robert W and Spyder-Man like this.
  18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Joe, ol buddy...

I am now 64 and -compared to many other guys of this age- more "modern" than many much younger dudes. Changing the view on something is -quite often- much useful - but changing a name not...

19. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It worked for Ali ;)

joe sackey and EarlyCat like this.
  20. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Open-minded?

21. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    joe sackey likes this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I understand what you are saying, bear in mind we are talking about a moniker, a nickname, a term of reference that is already universally accepted by many, that said, of course the initial official name remains.

Brilliant

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Robert W likes this.
  24. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    I'm a sucker for odd colored cars. This is beautiful :)

wbaeumer likes this.