Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 390 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #9726 joe sackey, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Hard to tell what the value is without inspecting the entire car.

That said, value is probably a moot point to this gentleman as I believe he has owned it from new and is unlikely to sell, to him it's probably priceless, that said, realistically, when it does eventually sells it'll come down to condition, so it'll bring less than some others will, but then you can daily drive it!

I have been made to understand that the engines in these cars are quite robust, and this is underscored by how many Diowndrafts have close to or over 100k on the clock as posted within this thread.

2. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Not so sure about that really imo.. a buddy of mine uses his about 3 or 4 times a week.. pretty high mileage, and I will say it runs fantastic.. I mean it really never has any issues.. he has it serviced ie fluids and brakes checked, once a year..that’s it. No Sunday stroll either.. I have been passed by him like I was standing still while I was stready at 100mph.

3. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    My point is, people covet low miles until the car is unreliable... if you want to DRIVE, then buy a driver and enjoy it, and I think THAT has a value all its own.

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #9729 joe sackey, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Servicing it every year is more than many Countach owners do! I come across many Countachs that are not serviced in years.

That combined with regular use and I am not surprised his car runs well, as many high-mileage cars in fact do, I have often said, the more you drive them the better they run.

That said, make no mistake, if your Countach has not been properly maintained, engine, gearbox, brakes and suspension will not perform like they should, and the car will become unreliable.

There is a difference between a car that is well-maintained but has high miles and some patina, and a neglected Countach, drive the latter and your excursions will likely end on a tow-truck.

Not everyone covets low miles, and a car only becomes unreliable because owners make it so by not maintaining it.

However I agree completely, a car that can be driven and enjoyed has value of it's owner, to it's own that's priceless.

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Love this

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  9. Very good information, thank you for that. As there are no images of the engine, drivetrain etc. in the add, it would be great if you could show the pictures of these parts.

10. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Since you are in Zurich, it's an easy thing to look at this car at Schmohl (former Lamborghini Zurich)...

In a former add pictures of the engine bay were shown.

11. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I found their website and searched for Lamborghini Countach (at least I am sure I did - I do not speak German but did the best I could with a translator) and they say they have none in stock - they only have 1 Lamborghini, and it's a Hurican. I see this a bit where independent search sites hang on to available vehicles well after they sell - perhaps the dealer didn't go in and remove it?

*Edit: removed a link I had posted - was the link to the search results, however what I searched for wasn't contained in the URL, and the link didn't go to the results page I see.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I posted some images earlier in this thread.

That said, my comments are mostly based on the age of this car and the cars in general.

Correct.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Countach FLA12878 on the track a few years ago, I have personally seen this car do many miles at both Castle Combe circuit and Goodwood circa 1987 to 1990

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #9740 joe sackey, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Bianco Downdraft in Paris underground parking garage, anyone know the chassis number?

Rear Lamborghini badge missing for some reason

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Spyder-Man likes this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Boomhauer likes this.
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  19. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    My 2 cents here. I have been following these conversion discussions from the 2000s. As time went on and as Countach price went up and were recongnized as other than being "lawn ornaments", the conversion sentiment seems to turn sour. Thinking about this I would agree now that converting a fuel injection to a DD is a mistake. As Joe pointed it is rarely done 100%. The reason for partial conversion is probably the cost as you need engine and body mods. A 100% conversion may likely puts a modified car at an end price above a current DD.
    As much as the esthetics of a US fuel injected are not as pleasing as the euro cars, I would say they reflect the changes required for that market at that time.

joe sackey likes this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Boomhauer likes this.
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #9747 joe sackey, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Dave rocks likes this.
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Good post Patrick.

A few candid thoughts of my own:

There is a place for all variants of Countach including the Fuelie.

That said, I am yet to see a Euro-look conversion that has been executed convincingly or completely on a Fuelie.

You are right at your suggestion that owning a modified car at anywhere near Downdraft costs makes no economic sense. In fact, if I happened to own a Fuelie, I would not bother modifying it, I would appreciate it for what it is, I would enjoy it by driving the wheels off the thing, block bumpers and all. Then, if I concluded that I just could not live with the USA DOT appendages and wanted the Downdraft's pure Euro look, I would buy a Downdraft in addition, or replace the Fuelie with a Downdraft, which is exactly what anyone who is unhappy with their Fuelie has the option to do.

Let's remember, when this thread was started, it's purpose was as a Downdraft appreciation thread focused solely on this without intent of any comparison with other Countach variants - Periscopa, Lowbody, Fuelie or whatever. The Downdraft doesn't need to be compared, it's sort of incomparable anyway. The comparisons only commenced when 2 or 3 specific Fuelie owners sought in vain to minimize the attributes of the Downdraft, succeeding only in drawing attention to it's obvious superiority. The sourness you mention can be attributed to none other than the Fuelie owners who clearly seem unhappy with their cars, as their futile attempts to equalize all QVs shows. You don't see Periscopa or Lowbody owners coming on here to dispute the fact that the Downdraft is the most powerful Countach variant the Lamborghini factory ever made, do you? They just enjoy what they have secure in the knowledge that they love their cars for their own unique set of attributes.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so we already know that Fuelie owners who have converted cars would rather have a car that looks like or actually is a Downdraft, and with that in mind, I think people should either be happy with whatever Countach they have, or, if they see another variant of Countach that is superior in some way, don't be insecure and disparage it, admire it, or better still, get one.

Countachqv and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017