Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 634 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you for sharing.

alan likes this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    HLA12163 again, this one is even better, love the fact that this short film shows the dynamic essence of a Countach's existence on the road, final stages of the film show that lowered front end porpoising more than just a bit, something's going on there.

Adamo Cerquozzi and alan like this.
  3. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
  4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Fellow owners - when cold starting, I turn the key to position 1 for about 15 second, then pump the accelerator 3-4 times, then start. Once the engine catches I will feather and pump the throttle until I get a smooth idle. Curious about two things:

1 - Do you wait shorter/longer with the key in position 1?
    2 - When pumping the throttle before starting, do you press it down all the way down or just halfway?

Thank you. Just trying to learn how others choose to do things.

5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've had a few Weber-fed engines (not a Countach, unfortunately). I don't mind cranking it a bit to prime the oil pump a bit, so 1-2 squirts on the throttle pedal and crank it, while pumping a couple of more times. When the engine catches, I back off, and let it stumble around at very low revs until I get oil pressure, then give it a blip to clear its throat. Webers don't like being cold, and racy cams don't like low revs, so I blip it to 2,500 - 3,000 revs while warming it up (on a high performance engine).

6. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Watch Tyrells workshop on YouTube for starting procedures.

7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    A bit didactic, I thought

8. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #15833 EMILIO, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2022
    Spyder-Man likes this.
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Just watched his starting video (the Miura being the most relevant). Some interesting tips.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #15835 joe sackey, Nov 30, 2022
    Pictures prove that a restored Countach can & should be driven post-restoration, in the case of FLA12877, in rain or shine!

The more it's driven the more dialed-in it will become, the better the car will run, and the more reliable it will prove to be. This post-restoration tuning & subsequent servicing phase is important if you want to have a car that runs like one can & should.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #15836 joe sackey, Nov 30, 2022
  12. Adamo

Adamo Karting

May 17, 2014
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Adamo Cerquozzi
    I have been wanting to make a replacement cover plate on the passenger head so I can remove that smog bracket. Was just thinking of welding a port on it for the hose. Is that for a pcv type system like in classic American cars? I hate the look of that empty smog bracket. This engine bay is beautiful.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I believe I understand what you re asking and the answer is I think so.

I also quite liked my most recent Countach without the SMOG pump, it saved weight and thus improved performance, plus it's a useless appendage especially for a car set up to perform with a sports exhaust as most are these days.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    JLA12249 which I met on delivery day when new to Superbike enthusiast Steve Downs because I happened to visit Mike Perry at Portman that Saturday just before he delivered it, subsequently featured on the cover of the February 1988 issue of Performance Car magazine based on a photoshoot location around the Wiltshire town of Castle Combe.

Originally registered E 401 LYH, then 4 GON, now back to it's original registration.

Bleu Acapulco, Panna leather with dark blue piping, dark blue carpets, originally delivered by Lamborghini with sports exhaust already affixed, but as was often the case, this Countach wasn't delivered with a wing.

Spyder-Man likes this.
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The enigmatic metallic yellow JLA12345 in France with wing off, my enduring memory of this car during the summers of 1988 & 1989 was of it parked up on the kerb outside the Carlton Towers hotel in London after school class hours, when the young Prince Saud could be seen about town in it.

Ciro Izzo likes this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  17. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    One of the last Countach 5000QV "Downdraft" produced Chassis #JLA12412 has arrived to Miami. Lovely original Bianco Polo on Rosso example. Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Exciting, John. Beautiful car. Congrats on your success. Great how you unearth these cars and get them into the hands of new energized owners. Awesome for the future of the Countach.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    This is indeed one of the final Downdrafts built, and may be the last one delivered in the summer of 1988, uniquely appointed with twin rear fog-lights and short wing supports, congratulations!

FWIW we unearthed JLA12412 in the USA @ 6 years ago in a very private garage in Utah where it resided in a collection of 4 Countachs, 3 of which were Downdrafts, my son went there to inspect the Nero/Nero GLA12888 which we purchased for our Illinois client to restore (as has been well-documented in this thread), and he noticed JLA12412. The Utah collector had imported the car from Italy just a few years prior, after a few years of negotiations, we were able to also purchase JLA12412 for our prominent Florida client, I posted the car's inspection and transportation to Florida here.

Image 1 is the first one of JLA12412 which I posted circa 2016 showing the car in Italy whilst still on it's Turin plates, image 2 is one of our inspection images from Utah when we sold it to the Florida gentleman a few years ago.

Neat Countach, and I think there are probably more Downdrafts in the USA than anywhere in the world at this point, with more to come.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ciro Izzo and Michael Call like this.
  20. Countachguy

Countachguy Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joe Cates
    Hello Countach people.
    Can you help me finding the fuse box(es) on my Countach downdraft (manufactured July 1985).
    I looked in the back, under the glove box, near the ignition module, almost everywhere - but found nothing.
    The reason: suddenly all electrical shut down. So looks like some main fuse.
    By the way, my car has the large aluminum air box and has very low miles and I believe it is completely original.

21. Countachguy

Countachguy Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joe Cates
    Thank you Rossocorsa1 for your reply.
    I do have some sort of a box under/behind the glove box.
    It is really impossible to get there without removing the glove box - I'll try tomorrow.

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Here are a couple photos of my car showing its layout that may help. These were taken during the restoration, prior to the dash being resinstalled.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Spyder-Man likes this.
  23. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I knew you would get help here

24. Countachguy

Countachguy Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joe Cates
    Gentlemen (topcarbon and Roccocorsa1) - thank you for your quick help. Indeed, there is a fuse box under the glove box.
    It is well hidden and not easy to expose. Best option is to remove the left side panel of the footwell + one screw holding the box at its right corner.
    Then it can be folded down and one can fix the problem.

25. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Hi, you do not need to remove anything, just unscrew the holder screw then you can move that entire plate downwards into the footwell.

That round plastic screw on the right:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachments/99a42ca6-577a-4bd3-b7de-27aaedde9015-jpeg.3448440/

Here some pictures which might help as well: Lamborghini Countach #GLA12997 Purchase